U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 08:10 AM

8,561 posts, read 5,431,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
We should examine every politician's motivation for what they do and say, how they vote -- whether they are running for office or not. That applies to both sides. That's hard to do with blinders on.

Can't help wondering whether some poster here isn't a plant for the WH.
And how do you know that I don't examine what appears to be the motivations of all politicians as well as how they vote? How can my position here, that I think the good of the release of funds, trumps any political motivation, tell you that I don't look at how elected officials vote and the political motivations behind those votes? Interesting the assumptions you all make when confronted with something you seem to not understand.

I'm thinking you all might be very surprised to learn that I don't even like Obama, haven't made a donation to his campaign nor am I working in his campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 08:17 AM

14,298 posts, read 8,083,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
But how does Obama's political "tricks" make the release of this money BAD?

There are plenty of threads to discuss Obama's political compaign, his political motivations, etc., but this one is specifically about the release of this money NOW. If he waited until after he got elected to release it, it would be just that much longer before the money could even be used to start to create jobs. If he didn't get elected, how do you know Romney would have released it?
You are assuming the Obama team just stumbled on this money, and is rushing it out the door as quickly as possible. But these “unobligated funds”are nothing new, everyone knows about them, and there is a lot more money laying around. If Obama wasn't just playing reelection campaign tricks, he would have proposed using them in some way, years ago.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
You are assuming the Obama team just stumbled on this money, and is rushing it out the door as quickly as possible. But these “unobligated funds”are nothing new, everyone knows about them, and there is a lot more money laying around. If Obama wasn't just playing reelection campaign tricks, he would have proposed using them in some way, years ago.
Oh-I-SEE-You, I'm assuming absolutely nothing of the kind about "the Obama team." I KNOW that Obama didn't rush this money out the door. I'm guessing that I probably know much more about this money than you do, just based on your comments. Additionally, I not saying that Obama is not playing politics. I'm saying it doesn't matter. The release of $473 million for funding highway projects and the creation of new jobs, IMO, trumps any political motive.

As for more "unobligated" funds out there being released by Obama, who knows, maybe he will. I don't have a crystal ball and Obama does not call me up to let me know what they have in mind for the future.

Maybe if you slow down and read more carefully it will be easier to see what people are actually saying, rather than assuming what they are assuming.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:39 AM

14,298 posts, read 8,083,654 times
Quote:
Oh-I-SEE-You, I'm assuming absolutely nothing of the kind about "the Obama team." I KNOW that Obama didn't rush this money out the door. I'm guessing that I probably know much more about this money than you do, just based on your comments. Additionally, I not saying that Obama is not playing politics. I'm saying it doesn't matter. The release of $473 million for funding highway projects and the creation of new jobs, IMO, trumps any political motive.

As for more "unobligated" funds out there being released by Obama, who knows, maybe he will. I don't have a crystal ball and Obama does not call me up to let me know what they have in mind for the future.

Maybe if you slow down and read more carefully it will be easier to see what people are actually saying, rather than assuming what they are assuming.
"The release of $473 million for funding highway projects and the creation of new jobs, IMO," is a political move. If you are going to believe everything the government tells you, then there is a harmless reason for all the vote buying that has been going on,and all timed to go into effect just a few months before his election.

Keep your eyes open, their will be more of this executive fiat, vote buying by Obama in the next 2 1/2 months. Obama will find more money to give away, more laws to use his newly found power of "prosecutorial discretion" on, more laws his DoJ can challenge to get a court order to prevent from being enforced. I expect plenty more excuse-bots to line up behind Obama, when he does these things, just as they have been doing.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:52 AM

19,658 posts, read 19,768,059 times
FF keeps saying that as long as that money is going to be available now, it's a good thing and the motive behind it's timely release shouldn't matter.
We have a choice to make coming up shortly and why the candidates do something most certainly is important in deciding whether or not we want that person to continue to have such power for the next term.
Why is that so hard to understand?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:58 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,297,737 times
The motive behind this should be a deciding factor. Let that money sit for 4 years while pointing a finger at the other party as blame for no jobs bills coming out of Congress does nothing to HELP Americans.

That pile of money is being used more for political purposes than economic purposes.
The process to get Fed money is complex and lengthly. Even if that money is available today, it will be months if not up to a year before any of it gets disbursed. That happened with the stimulus money..there was a time constraint to apply for that money and 70% of that money went to repaving existing roads.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 AM

8,743 posts, read 5,761,677 times
Quote:
In your opinion ^^^^. You're using this thread to judge me regarding my political positions about everything. What does my discounting Obama's motive regarding this issue "tell" you about me? Somehow I think it's telling you about your own biased opinions of those who don't always think the way you feel they should think, especially if they disagree with you. Additionally, there is absolutely nothing "sad" about Obama releasing these funds for whatever reason. As someone else pointed out, Obama has "The Bully Pulpit" and probably is using it exactly like every President before him. If, in that process, the people of this country get funding for good programs, what is wrong with that? It's certainly NOT unusual politics. Your problem seems to me that you're one of those Obama haters so OF COURSE you don't want anyone out there to think this funds release is a good thing for anybody because you don't want people to vote for Obama. You don't think politics colors your attitude?

You know, maybe better late than never is not a bad position. And maybe it's okay to not agree with "most people." Is that "collectivism" you're supporting there? LOL Or is it that dreaded "sheeple" attitude? "Most people" think this, therefore, you should think "this" too?

I don't hate Obama. Actually, I find him amusing just by the fact that he thinks he call fool many people a second time. Even more amusing are those in his flock who can't see how they are being led around by their nose.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post

I don't hate Obama. Actually, I find him amusing just by the fact that he thinks he call fool many people a second time. Even more amusing are those in his flock who can't see how they are being led around by their nose.

yada, yada, yada....

Old 08-21-2012, 12:41 PM

19,122 posts, read 22,158,663 times
Thought about it a little while.. Buying votes is nothing new for this Admin...

Bring out your Dead! Bring out your Dead! Bring out your Dead! Bring out your Dead!

Old 08-21-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The motive behind this should be a deciding factor. Let that money sit for 4 years while pointing a finger at the other party as blame for no jobs bills coming out of Congress does nothing to HELP Americans.

That pile of money is being used more for political purposes than economic purposes.
The process to get Fed money is complex and lengthly. Even if that money is available today, it will be months if not up to a year before any of it gets disbursed. That happened with the stimulus money..there was a time constraint to apply for that money and 70% of that money went to repaving existing roads.
the motive behind this should be a deciding factor in WHAT? Yeah, just exactly what I've been saying, you think it should be a deciding factor in terms of for whom you vote. This release of money is being used by Republicans as a political "club" with which to beat Obama bloody over the head. No regard for whatever benefit may derive from it.

My position continues to be that when you subtract politics from this situation, the release of the funds is a good thing for people who need jobs in those states which are receiving the money, all 49 of them. Of course, I know it's impossible for "most people" to look at anything without their political lens.

You continue to focus on the issue that it will take a long time for the money to actually be used because of all the red tape involved in accessing these types of federal funds. Do you think these funds should just not have been released because it takes a long time to do the paperwork?

You repeat that 70% of stimulus money was used for repaving roads. Can you show that all, or even most, of the roads repaved with stimulus money did not need to be repaved and that repaving was not repairing? I see repaving frequently in Florida and it's clear that repaving is actually repairing roads. Why would you advocate building more highways when we have an adequate highway system in this country, and building more highways would just result in the need for more maintenance in the future and therefore increased costs for upkeep? Maintenance of our roads and highway system is indeed necessary and costly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or