U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 01:09 PM

8,561 posts, read 5,438,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
FF keeps saying that as long as that money is going to be available now, it's a good thing and the motive behind it's timely release shouldn't matter.
We have a choice to make coming up shortly and why the candidates do something most certainly is important in deciding whether or not we want that person to continue to have such power for the next term.
Why is that so hard to understand?
It's not hard to understand what you're saying..

However, you're misstating what I'm saying. First, yes, I think releasing it now is better than never releasing the funds. And I'm also saying that any political motive does not make the ultimate effect (the use of the money) BAD. Many here have argued (regarding this release of funds) that the stimulus bill was a bad thing, the money was misused, etc., etc.....so I'm not exactly sure what their real position is. They say providing funds to create more jobs is a good thing, then they come back and argue how bad they think the stimulus was...therefore this money will also be wasted, yet it's a good thing, so that can be a bit confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 01:13 PM

1,075 posts, read 821,807 times
[quote=FancyFeast5000;25728133]Geeezzz, how thick headed are people? I DON'T CARE what Obama's political motivations may have been for releasing this money. You can call me all the names you want to call me; I can see the sick rabid influence of politics from both sides. I JUST DON'T CARE about whatever political motivations may have influenced the release of this money. And you guys are taking a good thing and trying to beat Obama bloody over the head with it for your own political purposes, those rabid, sick political purposes.

I know people think the timing is bad, and what I'm pointing out is wtf difference does it make when the money was released, it has now been released. The FACT is that the money is available to the states TODAY. If the states don't use it, is that Obama's fault? Yes, you do know where the money is. It was ALREADY in the transportation department fund for various states. You know, your argument is like complaining about the timing of the delivery of food when you're starving to death. You do realize that in fact this money could have not been released at all. Obama could have been so concerned about the public being outraged that this money was being spent and not being used to lower the debt (even though that use of the money was impossible) that he could have just not released it at all. That's a possibility if you want to talk about political motivations.

I'm talking about the action of making this money available for use is a good one. If you can just sit back and take the bitterness and the politics out of it for a minute and look at the bare reality, it's good.[/quote]

YOU don't know that it's a good thing. You don't know if jobs will be created or "saved". You don't know how these funds will be used... saying it's in the "transportation department" is meaningless. Do you know how much the Transportation deparment has control over? It's not just roads and bridges! Look it up sometime, on any State DOT website, you'll see how much they control and have to deal with.

You also don't know what restrictions and limitations have been put on these funds. You don't know if they are only allowed to use the funds on new projects... or maybe they are only allowed to use them on public transporation... or maybe they are only allowed to use them between the months of sept and october! Which would be nearly impossible for any state to actually do. But, that's the thing, there could be all kinds of restrictions and limitations that could be on these funds that make it not only impossible for the states to use properly, but effeciently! So you can't say that you KNOW this is a good thing until we see exactly what is going to be done with the funds and how.

How about you adress these concerns instead of your usual hyper-partisan broken record?

Old 08-21-2012, 01:20 PM

8,743 posts, read 5,767,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
yada, yada, yada....
Another thought provoking contribution to your argument.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
"The release of $473 million for funding highway projects and the creation of new jobs, IMO," is a political move. If you are going to believe everything the government tells you, then there is a harmless reason for all the vote buying that has been going on,and all timed to go into effect just a few months before his election.

Keep your eyes open, their will be more of this executive fiat, vote buying by Obama in the next 2 1/2 months. Obama will find more money to give away, more laws to use his newly found power of "prosecutorial discretion" on, more laws his DoJ can challenge to get a court order to prevent from being enforced. I expect plenty more excuse-bots to line up behind Obama, when he does these things, just as they have been doing.
So do you think releasing the money was a bad thing because you believe the release was politically motivated?

My eyes are open. "executive fiat"....

Respectfully, "prosecutorial discretion" and laws his DOJ can use for whatever, etc., etc., has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not the releasing of this money was/is a good thing for the people of the 49 states who have access to it for creating more jobs.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:24 PM

19,122 posts, read 22,183,300 times
LOL paving roads........ In NH where we have hard winter we are paving roads all nice top coats all very superficial as if road tar is going out of style.. the interstate has been re-paved here each 6 months for the last 3 years and 7 months so far and the fedral Rt 112 in the national Forest is getting the same... a top coat less where the storm last year removed the road.

Pike Industries must hire no one but democrats i guess.

it is very unfair that this money was only released in 49 states too. What about all the other states?

Old 08-21-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Another thought provoking contribution to your argument.
Only as thought provoking as yours. Do you want to continue to make this personal?

Old 08-21-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
LOL paving roads........ In NH where we have hard winter we are paving roads all nice top coats all very superficial as if road tar is going out of style.. the interstate has been re-paved here each 6 months for the last 3 years and 7 months so far and the fedral Rt 112 in the national Forest is getting the same... a top coat less where the storm last year removed the road.

Pike Industries must hire no one but democrats i guess.

it is very unfair that this money was only released in 49 states too. What about all the other states?
Well, repaving roads is a way to repair. What are you suggesting, tearing up the existing roads and putting down entirely new ones? Seems to me that you should be very thankful that there is money to do the repairs you're talking about. What do you suggest for road maintenance in your area???

Again, it certainly seems to me that your area has benefited a lot from the stimulus money and will benefit from this new release as well. What are you complaining about?

"What about all the other states"? LOL I guess Wyoming is out of luck because they had already spent all their allocated money from the appropriations. I'd guess that given the climate of their state that they might need lots of highway repairs.....well, I drove through Wyoming once and actually was pretty amazed at how few roads/highways they have out there, and how few (almost zero) other cars were on the roads/highways I traveled!

Old 08-21-2012, 01:43 PM

[quote=Wyndsong71;25740438]
Quote:
Geeezzz, how thick headed are people? I DON'T CARE what Obama's political motivations may have been for releasing this money. You can call me all the names you want to call me; I can see the sick rabid influence of politics from both sides. I JUST DON'T CARE about whatever political motivations may have influenced the release of this money. And you guys are taking a good thing and trying to beat Obama bloody over the head with it for your own political purposes, those rabid, sick political purposes.

I know people think the timing is bad, and what I'm pointing out is wtf difference does it make when the money was released, it has now been released. The FACT is that the money is available to the states TODAY. If the states don't use it, is that Obama's fault? Yes, you do know where the money is. It was ALREADY in the transportation department fund for various states. You know, your argument is like complaining about the timing of the delivery of food when you're starving to death. You do realize that in fact this money could have not been released at all. Obama could have been so concerned about the public being outraged that this money was being spent and not being used to lower the debt (even though that use of the money was impossible) that he could have just not released it at all. That's a possibility if you want to talk about political motivations.

I'm talking about the action of making this money available for use is a good one. If you can just sit back and take the bitterness and the politics out of it for a minute and look at the bare reality, it's good.[/quote]

YOU don't know that it's a good thing. You don't know if jobs will be created or "saved". You don't know how these funds will be used... saying it's in the "transportation department" is meaningless. Do you know how much the Transportation deparment has control over? It's not just roads and bridges! Look it up sometime, on any State DOT website, you'll see how much they control and have to deal with.

You also don't know what restrictions and limitations have been put on these funds. You don't know if they are only allowed to use the funds on new projects... or maybe they are only allowed to use them on public transporation... or maybe they are only allowed to use them between the months of sept and october! Which would be nearly impossible for any state to actually do. But, that's the thing, there could be all kinds of restrictions and limitations that could be on these funds that make it not only impossible for the states to use properly, but effeciently! So you can't say that you KNOW this is a good thing until we see exactly what is going to be done with the funds and how.

How about you adress these concerns instead of your usual hyper-partisan broken record?
What I KNOW is that the money was appropriated by Congress for use on highway projects, the money was earmarked, and certainly legally that's what the money will be used for. Bottom line is money has been released to 49 states to use regarding highway projects.....whatever those "highway projects" within the department of transportation may be.

How about I discuss what I see as important, and you discuss what you see as important? Yet once again, the personal insult cannot be resisted...."hyper-partisan broken record."

Old 08-21-2012, 01:53 PM

1,075 posts, read 821,807 times
[quote=FancyFeast5000;25740962]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post

What I KNOW is that the money was appropriated by Congress for use on highway projects, the money was earmarked, and certainly legally that's what the money will be used for. Bottom line is money has been released to 49 states to use regarding highway projects.....whatever those "highway projects" within the department of transportation may be.

How about I discuss what I see as important, and you discuss what you see as important? Yet once again, the personal insult cannot be resisted...."hyper-partisan broken record."
LOL! So in other words, you don't want to "discuss" anything... you want people to agree with you and if they don't then you'll deflect, insult, and ignore what they say and what their asking. Gotchya! You cannot resist your own hyper-partisan broken record... I see that. You accuse everyone who has questioned and challenged your statements of being "jaded" and even gone so far as saying they are disgusting.. so I think you can stop you're complaining about "personal insults". I did not insult you, I described what you've been doing. Posting the same link over and over again, saying the exact same thing over and over again. There is no "discussion" coming from you... everyone else has been TRYING to discuss things with you... I completely left out any partisan or political talk at all and adressed why some think that this could be potentially bad.. but you don't want to discuss this, you want to keep saying the same thing over and over again like a little child who is throwing a temper tantrum. That's fine, you want to do that.. go right ahead, but don't pretend you're discussing anything with anyone while you're covering your ears shouting "i can't hear you I can't hear you".

Old 08-21-2012, 02:23 PM

19,122 posts, read 22,183,300 times
Quote:
Well, repaving roads is a way to repair. What are you suggesting, tearing up the existing roads and putting down entirely new ones? Seems to me that you should be very thankful that there is money to do the repairs you're talking about. What do you suggest for road maintenance in your area???

Again, it certainly seems to me that your area has benefited a lot from the stimulus money and will benefit from this new release as well. What are you complaining about?

"What about all the other states"? LOL I guess Wyoming is out of luck because they had already spent all their allocated money from the appropriations. I'd guess that given the climate of their state that they might need lots of highway repairs.....well, I drove through Wyoming once and actually was pretty amazed at how few roads/highways they have out there, and how few (almost zero) other cars were on the roads/highways I traveled!
I can see you haven't the foggiest notion about road building. Most people don't. A top coat is just that, a top coat, and unless the prep work has been done under it, the top coat won't last 6 months in a state like NH or Wyoming.
What it amounts to in the end, and the end is certainly not far away in time, is the top coat just breaks up and is soon all gone.

And so is the money...... And here where i am, these roads need nothing, while other roads are in a state of WW-2 bombed out shambles, and have been for years.

My state just takes what ever federal monies it can beg i guess, and spends that money on what ever foolish laws the Feds state the monies be spent on whether we need it or not.

Sure we need roads fixed but not the roads that are 'getting fixed', and not with just a top coat.

We get a lot more rain than Wyoming does and we get just as cold winters. The freezing hot cycles bust up these roads bad, so i am saying the bad roads should come first, then 'fix' roads that are already good I guess..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or