U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 04:14 PM

4,433 posts, read 3,914,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Be very very careful! We would not want to bump the Queen off her plug. If that should happen England would sink!
Bob's your uncle.

It is an isle. Don't pull the plug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 04:23 PM

19,122 posts, read 22,158,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Bob's your uncle.

It is an isle. Don't pull the plug.
I am missing Bob dearly.........

Huh?

Old 09-13-2012, 05:02 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,853,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I do enjoy listening to a person who speaks the English language well and pronounces words properly, regardless of where they are from or what race they are.

I enjoy the annunciation of BBC news presenters, but many British actors have very thick regional accents which I hate. They are not pleasing to the ear and are very hard to follow.

I think it is harder to unscramble accents in the brain as people age. I know a few who, if they watch certain British movies, will put on their English subtitles.

I think their entire attitude towards acting as an art form, and the government's support of art and the artist, produces some fine actors and presentations. They are more prone to take a chance on something new because they do not require huge blockbusters.

I loved the comedy, 'Yes, Prime Minister'. The US had nothing like it. Innovative

For people who really enjoy adventure or military special ops, try 'Strike Back', on MAX (Cinimax) tv Friday nights. Yes, super sexy guys and gals. Lots of action. Bad guys vs. Good guys. Lots of fun.

Almost everyone loves 'Dr.Who'. Innovative.
Many British actors with thick regional accents ? who, Hugh Grant and Rowan Atkinson ?
No, I could not imagine a US version of Yes Prime Minister being that popular in the USA.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:04 PM

637 posts, read 464,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetaniard1 View Post
I have noticed the following

1. In Hollywood, English people are probably more admired and loved than any other group of people. You know, it is hilarious that Hollywood would much rather give a White British person a role in a Blockbuster movie rather than a minority here in America.

2. We are OBSESSED with David Beckham and try to hail him as king, yet we could care less about Cristiano Ronaldo

3. We Worship The English Accent.

4. We try to make all British people appear attractive, there is not ONE negative stereotype about them in Hollywood, it is like Hollywood worships them.

anyone else feel this way?
Yeah, that whole teeth thing, I never hear about it in movies...

Old 09-13-2012, 05:05 PM

914 posts, read 1,163,569 times
I hope so I love England .America as far as I concerned should have stayed a colony of the UK to begin with.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:40 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,077,933 times
1. Cristiano Ronaldo speaks better english than becks. Conservatives should love Ronnie, he was named after their god Ronald Reagan.

2. There is no such thing as an 'english' or 'british' accent. The UK has many more different accents with greater variability than the US does. I guess when you people say 'english' accent, do you mean RP/'Posh' accent?

Hollywood certainly does not want just any old accent from england. They didn't give Cheryl Cole a spot on some tv show in the US because they were worried that american audiences would not understand her lovely geordie accent.

I think the british stereotype is pale, waif-y with bad teeth? I don't think hollywood goes out of its way to make british people/things as being attractive when they aren't attractive.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:44 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,077,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
I hope so I love England .America as far as I concerned should have stayed a colony of the UK to begin with.
If the US stayed a british colony, it would've just become a big canada. Hell to be honest, it would be combines into canada and we would be a massive country stretching from BC to Texas (doubt the russians would've sold alaska to us if we were under the british crown at the time of the sale) with a parliamentary government, quasi-universal health care, with a smaller (and whiter) aggregate population, and smaller military spending.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:18 PM

15,483 posts, read 17,641,870 times
I only need subtitles for mumbling Geordies and the odd Yorkshireman. :-)

Old 09-18-2012, 07:46 AM

23,971 posts, read 32,686,225 times
I don't see that American culture is obsequious when it comes to the British, though it is very obvious that we have a higher opinion of them than they do of us.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:52 AM

12,411 posts, read 16,431,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I do enjoy listening to a person who speaks the English language well and pronounces words properly, regardless of where they are from or what race they are.

I enjoy the annunciation of BBC news presenters, but many British actors have very thick regional accents which I hate. They are not pleasing to the ear and are very hard to follow.

I think it is harder to unscramble accents in the brain as people age. I know a few who, if they watch certain British movies, will put on their English subtitles.

I think their entire attitude towards acting as an art form, and the government's support of art and the artist, produces some fine actors and presentations. They are more prone to take a chance on something new because they do not require huge blockbusters.

I loved the comedy, 'Yes, Prime Minister'. The US had nothing like it. Innovative

For people who really enjoy adventure or military special ops, try 'Strike Back', on MAX (Cinimax) tv Friday nights. Yes, super sexy guys and gals. Lots of action. Bad guys vs. Good guys. Lots of fun.

Almost everyone loves 'Dr.Who'. Innovative.
I just saw this. Call me a dope.
It really reads funnily, though.
I meant enunciation, obviously.
Please call me on it when I do something dumb. I'm getting old and should keep on top of myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies