Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:28 PM

630 posts, read 1,264,720 times

Advertisements

By the way, here's something sneaky the British do. They take our pop music, adapt it, and then make it even better. The Beatles and the Stones did it in the 60s, the Bee Gees did it in the 70s, the New Wave bands did it in the 80s, the Spice Girls did it in the 90s, Coldplay did it in the 2000s and now artists like One Direction, Adele, Calvin Harris and Ellie Goulding are doing the same thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 07:32 PM

55 posts, read 62,933 times
I don't like how they show the queen a lot. In fact I don't like hollywood too much in general.

Same goes for the corporate culture that has destroyed america

Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
By the way, here's something sneaky the British do. They take our pop music, adapt it, and then make it even better. The Beatles and the Stones did it in the 60s, the Bee Gees did it in the 70s, the New Wave bands did it in the 80s, the Spice Girls did it in the 90s, Coldplay did it in the 2000s and now artists like One Direction, Adele, Calvin Harris and Ellie Goulding are doing the same thing!
Wait, what did Coldplay make better? Elevator Muzak?

Old 08-20-2012, 04:34 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
I really don't get why people are so obsessed with it, to me the English accent either sounds really annoying or downright goofy. To each his own.
I do enjoy listening to a person who speaks the English language well and pronounces words properly, regardless of where they are from or what race they are.

I enjoy the annunciation of BBC news presenters, but many British actors have very thick regional accents which I hate. They are not pleasing to the ear and are very hard to follow.

I think it is harder to unscramble accents in the brain as people age. I know a few who, if they watch certain British movies, will put on their English subtitles.

I think their entire attitude towards acting as an art form, and the government's support of art and the artist, produces some fine actors and presentations. They are more prone to take a chance on something new because they do not require huge blockbusters.

I loved the comedy, 'Yes, Prime Minister'. The US had nothing like it. Innovative

For people who really enjoy adventure or military special ops, try 'Strike Back', on MAX (Cinimax) tv Friday nights. Yes, super sexy guys and gals. Lots of action. Bad guys vs. Good guys. Lots of fun.

Almost everyone loves 'Dr.Who'. Innovative.

Last edited by goldengrain; 08-20-2012 at 04:46 AM..

Old 08-20-2012, 08:37 AM

692 posts, read 1,004,303 times
I do think the Olympics have boosted their presence, but I don't think Americans bend over backwards as much as they are fascinated by certain aspects of their culture, usually the wealthier aspects. The Brits have the same problems as we do in America, poverty, joblessness, race relations, disease, illiteracy, obesity etc. just on a smaller scale because their population is smaller and they don't publicize it. Over here you won't hear as much about their problems as you will what royal was wearing what.

I think Americans are conditioned to think the British accent is superior/exceptional because of tv and movies. Any character who is highly educated, royal or from a medeival or ancient civilization are always British. It tends to be a more proper accent at that. There are some horrific British accents that will make your ears bleed. Speaking of royals I don't get the bending over backwards for them because really what do they do? I think the media is more fascinated with them because of Diana than people are in general.

Having had British roomates and visited a few times I think Americans would be surprised to find out how fascinated Brits can be in Americans although at times I sensed an acting superior to overcompensate vibe.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:43 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
I like scones and british accents, and the Beatles (did). I like their sense of humor.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:51 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post

Well, I don't know about that. But I'll take Adele over Lady Gaga, or most of the other crap right now. There is no denying that she has a great voice.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:25 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
I never noticed the thing about British actors in Hollywood before I moved away from a place where all movies and series are dubbed The names of the cast are in English anyway, so nobody really knows whether that means they are American or British. But now I notice that there are quite a number of non-American actors and actresses.
I also found it odd that a Brit got the leading role in House, especially since he speaks American English there anyway. I mean, was there no funny American actor among those 300 million Americans who could have gotten that role?

I don't like British English at all, it sounds harsh and chopped up somehow.

But I do not agree at all that Americans are doing anything to please the Brits. That somehow suggests for instance that American foreign politics considers British foreign politics. That is not the case.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetaniard1 View Post
I personally loved the Italian accent more.
In Italian or English? I think the Italian accent sounds great in Italian, but stupid in English. Of course that is due to my own subjective aesthetic.

Why do people like Beckham and not Ronaldo? Well, have you ever had a conversation with Ronaldo? Do you speak Portuguese?

Brits are always held in high regard by Hollywood? Is that why the evil villain is always British (except when he is a German, Roman, etc. with a... yup, a British accent)?

I admit Hollywood has a fetish for casting British actors in American roles, although maybe it is because the Brits put a high value of good acting and support the development of actors wheras in America it is seen as a pansy-ass activity and the Drama kids are called 'gay' and pantsed on a daily basis by the jocks.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:18 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetaniard1 View Post
I have noticed the following

1. In Hollywood, English people are probably more admired and loved than any other group of people. You know, it is hilarious that Hollywood would much rather give a White British person a role in a Blockbuster movie rather than a minority here in America.

2. We are OBSESSED with David Beckham and try to hail him as king, yet we could care less about Cristiano Ronaldo

3. We Worship The English Accent.

4. We try to make all British people appear attractive, there is not ONE negative stereotype about them in Hollywood, it is like Hollywood worships them.

anyone else feel this way?
I would suspect all Canadians feel that way as it's about the same way in Canada, where most of the 'better' movies and TV programming come from.

Hollywad is for egos and pretty bodies, and over pumped young 'guns'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies