U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:58 PM

9,440 posts, read 5,824,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Soon we'll become like those fat people in the spaceship in 'Wall-E.' I.e. big, helpless babies.
Soon the media will turn most voters into the people from Idiocracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 09:59 PM

13,090 posts, read 7,818,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Despite ignorant people like you implying otherwise, the US is nowhere near military dictatorship and certainly doesn't sound like a logical result. There is plenty to sling mud at about American politics and military, but the separation of civilian leadership from military has always been something for others to strive to emulate. Probably the closest to strong military influence on political decisions happened over 60 years ago when MacArthur thought he was bigger than Washington.
Good point. Our system has always kept the military out of our political decisions. We ran his ass out of town on a rail.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:09 PM

12,715 posts, read 11,615,044 times
A full-blown revolution of any kind is close to impossible in any advanced democracy, for the same reason Bertrand Russell mentioned nearly 100 years ago:

Quote:
[In] a democratic and politically educated country, armed revolution in favour of Communism would have no chance of succeeding unless it were supported by a larger majority than would be required for the election of a Communist Government by constitutional methods.
The Practice and Theory of Bolshevism

I do think we are heading toward an ultimate eventual Balkanization in which the country will fall apart, but that's happening at glacial speed; there is not going to be a mass popular revolution.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:44 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,989,888 times
i am not sure because we overall are far from what people suffered in the great depression.Whta we will see ove r time is Fedewral moneies to states and local governments disappear more and more in grnats;project fundig cost etc.We really haven't even started to pay for the borrowing we have increased i the last five years plus interest.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:48 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,285,851 times
There were murmers of revolution from the left in the 60's, and from the right in the 90's, but the yippes became yuppies, and the right was revulsed by the OKC bombing in 1995.

In retrospect there was no chance of revolution in either case. Our only revolutions are such things as "a revolution in hair care products" that advertisers announce from time to time.

Perhaps if the federal gov't can't get its fiscal incontinence under control for another decade, and keeps piling up trillion dollar deficits there could be some noise. Eventually they would either have to impose draconian taxes or monetize the debt thru hyperinflation.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:06 AM

16,471 posts, read 16,586,163 times
The creaky ship is going down.....what am I going to do about it????

I do not really care anyways.......this country is ruled by insanely corrupt dreck....they can and will do whatever they want......I have no dog in this fight.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:56 AM

9,832 posts, read 5,852,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Your friends are either exaggerating, or they're uninformed. Our system of government isn't perfect, of course, but there's still less corruption here than in most countries around the world.

I think Americans are spoiled, in general. They don't understand how good things really are. Because of this, they tend to have hissy fits over small, inconsequential issues that don't affect their lives directly or even indirectly.
Again we agree... ( I think this is the second time this month!!) The people of this country are too spoiled and they have no taste for a revolution. Some may talk the talk but very few would be willing to make the sacrifices. The people by and large are fat, dumb and happy. The majority have no idea what one party or the other stands for, or what policies are. They are for the most part ignorant in reference to world affairs, their primary goal is to get the lates I-phone or other gizmo. Their government is something the majority in this country know very little about. Everyone that comes on this board knows more than the average american sadly.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:47 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,640,389 times
No more football.

Super cereal tho there won't be a revolution because the propaganda elements which bring about those sorts of things are primarily money-making entertainment entities, and an actual revolt would hurt their bottom line.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:49 AM

24,889 posts, read 21,075,755 times
Repeal social security or Medicare, see how quickly people revolt.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:51 AM

9,832 posts, read 5,852,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Repeal social security or Medicare, see how quickly people revolt.
They will revolt, but there wouldn't be a revolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies