U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 PM

9,975 posts, read 8,089,476 times

Advertisements

>We have two distinct political parties that are committed to bringing stability to the nation, albiet using different methods.<

Wha???

We have 2 parties who continually lie about each other bent on obliterating each other and not governing unless they get 100% of what they want and the other gets NOTHING. BOTH are backed by (citizens united) people far far FAR worse who lie even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 10:37 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,425,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The problem with our budding revolutionaries is that they can all tell you what they're against, but have trouble telling you what they're for. They can list the things about government they don't like, but don't have a clue about what they'd replace it with.
All very true. Honestly, the Arab Spring may turn out to be a cautionary tale...oppressive dictators being replaced with oppressive (and possibly genocidal) religious rule. You don't know which system of government is worse until you've found it.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:38 PM

13,090 posts, read 7,815,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
>We have two distinct political parties that are committed to bringing stability to the nation, albiet using different methods.<

Wha???

We have 2 parties who continually lie about each other bent on obliterating each other and not governing unless they get 100% of what they want and the other gets NOTHING. BOTH are backed by (citizens united) people far far FAR worse who lie even more.
Well it wasn't always like that and it won't always be like that in the future. This is just a phase.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:51 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,671,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Well it wasn't always like that and it won't always be like that in the future. This is just a phase.

Not for the GOP, not unless they can get rid of the likes of Grover Norquist:

“We will make it so that a Democrat cannot govern as a Democrat.”

At least during the first 4 years of the Obama administration, they've done everything they could to bring that philosophy to life. They have no interest in helping a Democratic President, and especially Barack Obama, do anything at all for the nation as a whole. In fact, their goal has been, and still is, just exactly what Mitch McConnell said it is:

Mitch McConnell: Top Priority, Make Obama a One Term President - YouTube

Old 08-21-2012, 12:20 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,021,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

I just wish our nascent revolutionaries would quit all the cheap talk and get on with it.
Let's get this over with and put them where they belong...in jail or in the grave.

Interesting Putinese post

Old 08-21-2012, 10:03 AM

1,602 posts, read 2,726,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm ignorant about American politics, I'll say that, but from the little I do know and what my American friends have told me, the political situation there is a big mess: if it wasn't so potentially disastrous, it would be farcical.

How on earth can Americans, living in the 'land of the free', even entertain the possibility of electing yahoos who brag about being heartless SOB's?

Just what WILL it take for Americans with a conscience to rise up and literally kick them out of the Oval Office, Congress.etc?

Also, with the Republican's emphasis on the military, it actually sounds like the logical result of this will be the US turning into a military dictatorship like in the Middle East. The danger isn't in Iran (well the biggest danger), it's in your own backyard. Don't think a Libyan-style dictatorship is too unrealistic given long enough. The GOP seemingly has the 'military on their side' (even though in reality the Democrats probably do have a lot of sway too) so in reality they could use fear to get the people to do anything they want. Aren't people afraid of a fascist dictatorship?

It may sound extreme, but when you have people exalting a violent, militaristic society, especially under the guise and God forbid, religion, you really have to worry.

What will happen if Romney actually does get elected? Will there be mass protests in the street? Will there be some sort of revolution? Something more than the Occupy movement which seemed to just be a lot of the same old 1960s rhetoric with no real action.
The closest we have of a 'fascist dictator' is Comrade Barrack Houssain bin O'bummer. We will have a revolution. Our revolution will be held at the ballot box in November.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:59 PM

1,328 posts, read 2,651,067 times
There will never be a revolution ... Americans are by the numbers too sheepish and brain washed. I think the US government is going to collapse Soviet style by 2030 at the very latest however.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:09 PM

9,385 posts, read 9,548,809 times
Why America won't be a dictatporship is that Congress wants to take powers away from the preident and vise-versa, so it balances out.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:21 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,676,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If that is the case then I can assume that I can feel free to ignore most of your post.

We will have an inauguration in January marking the 150 years of the peaceful transfer of power from one administration to another and we as a nation will go from their. Revolution/secession the talk of barrooms and anonymous internet discussion forums neither of which are frequented by the majority of Americans.

It there weren't it wouldn't be America.

An extreme left and right fantasy, but a fantasy nonetheless.
I can't rep you again just yet, so I'll make everyone read this twice. The OP should read it three or four times. Trimac you should also find friends who are a little more clued in on how this country actually works because, frankly, it sounds like they are watching too many mediocre movies and think what they're seeing on-screen is a documentary.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:40 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,028,012 times
It will take a lot. Americans are too apathetic and don't like change. Large scale riots only happen once in a while and don't last long enough. As soon as a hint of dissent pops up the police are out there such as UC Davis pepper spray (which was just students sitting) or the police brutality because of the Occupy Wall Street protests. I don't know if we will see one any time in the future in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies