U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 05:11 PM

11,255 posts, read 11,270,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm ignorant about American politics, I'll say that, but from the little I do know and what my American friends have told me, the political situation there is a big mess: if it wasn't so potentially disastrous, it would be farcical.

How on earth can Americans, living in the 'land of the free', even entertain the possibility of electing yahoos who brag about being heartless SOB's?

Just what WILL it take for Americans with a conscience to rise up and literally kick them out of the Oval Office, Congress.etc?

Also, with the Republican's emphasis on the military, it actually sounds like the logical result of this will be the US turning into a military dictatorship like in the Middle East. The danger isn't in Iran (well the biggest danger), it's in your own backyard. Don't think a Libyan-style dictatorship is too unrealistic given long enough. The GOP seemingly has the 'military on their side' (even though in reality the Democrats probably do have a lot of sway too) so in reality they could use fear to get the people to do anything they want. Aren't people afraid of a fascist dictatorship?

It may sound extreme, but when you have people exalting a violent, militaristic society, especially under the guise and God forbid, religion, you really have to worry.

What will happen if Romney actually does get elected? Will there be mass protests in the street? Will there be some sort of revolution? Something more than the Occupy movement which seemed to just be a lot of the same old 1960s rhetoric with no real action.
I'm too old to go out and riot. As long as they supply us with food, utilities, and Internet they can keep us quiet, me anyways. If all that fails I'll just try to make a big bottle of tranquilizers last until the recovery, assuming there IS a recovery. Otherwise.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 07:04 PM

11,255 posts, read 11,270,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
How are you gonna fight a war without The Militia (all the guns in private hands)???
Just remember we have pop-guns, they have drones, missiles, cannons, fighter jets, etc Any revolution we mounted would be crushed in the first half-hour by their fire-power.

Revolution???? Hah!

Old 08-25-2012, 07:14 PM

9,857 posts, read 7,029,582 times
What will it take for a full-blown Revolution in America?

Too many government employees living large on the private sector taxpayers along with too many on the bottom voting away the wealth of those who work.
Eventually there will be a problem IMO.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:21 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,103,545 times
"What will it take for a full-blown Revolution in America?"

A quorum of really stupid people.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:26 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,122,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Just remember we have pop-guns, they have drones, missiles, cannons, fighter jets, etc Any revolution we mounted would be crushed in the first half-hour by their fire-power.

Revolution???? Hah!
And who mans all this?

Old 08-26-2012, 02:07 AM

9,832 posts, read 5,849,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
And who mans all this?
There will be no revolution. There is no way of communication and organization without the government finding out and nipping it in the bud. There could be resistance to policy, but there will be no revolution. Anyway, the people of this country no longer have the will to actually fight for their freedom. They are all sheep. (Both parties)

Old 08-26-2012, 04:30 AM

1,328 posts, read 2,650,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
There will be no revolution. There is no way of communication and organization without the government finding out and nipping it in the bud. There could be resistance to policy, but there will be no revolution. Anyway, the people of this country no longer have the will to actually fight for their freedom. They are all sheep. (Both parties)
If we did fight our military with its unlimited power would crush us. :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies