Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:35 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,852,610 times

Advertisements

I'm ignorant about American politics, I'll say that, but from the little I do know and what my American friends have told me, the political situation there is a big mess: if it wasn't so potentially disastrous, it would be farcical.

How on earth can Americans, living in the 'land of the free', even entertain the possibility of electing yahoos who brag about being heartless SOB's?

Just what WILL it take for Americans with a conscience to rise up and literally kick them out of the Oval Office, Congress.etc?

Also, with the Republican's emphasis on the military, it actually sounds like the logical result of this will be the US turning into a military dictatorship like in the Middle East. The danger isn't in Iran (well the biggest danger), it's in your own backyard. Don't think a Libyan-style dictatorship is too unrealistic given long enough. The GOP seemingly has the 'military on their side' (even though in reality the Democrats probably do have a lot of sway too) so in reality they could use fear to get the people to do anything they want. Aren't people afraid of a fascist dictatorship?

It may sound extreme, but when you have people exalting a violent, militaristic society, especially under the guise and God forbid, religion, you really have to worry.

What will happen if Romney actually does get elected? Will there be mass protests in the street? Will there be some sort of revolution? Something more than the Occupy movement which seemed to just be a lot of the same old 1960s rhetoric with no real action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 09:37 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,041,295 times
The cable and internet to go out, for a day would be a small riot, for longer than a couple weeks would be a full on revolution....but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:38 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,846,868 times
It won't happen.

America will be a safe haven for other countries facing civil unrest.

Last edited by joebaldknobber; 08-19-2012 at 09:57 PM..

Old 08-19-2012, 09:42 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,417,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What will it take for a full-blown Revolution in America?
Take away all of the First World material goodies we enjoy.

[some people believe freedom = stuff]

Old 08-19-2012, 09:46 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,852,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Take away all of the First World material goodies we enjoy.

[some people believe freedom = stuff]
Soon we'll become like those fat people in the spaceship in 'Wall-E.' I.e. big, helpless babies.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:46 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,597,491 times
Your friends are either exaggerating, or they're uninformed. Our system of government isn't perfect, of course, but there's still less corruption here than in most countries around the world.

I think Americans are spoiled, in general. They don't understand how good things really are. Because of this, they tend to have hissy fits over small, inconsequential issues that don't affect their lives directly or even indirectly.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:49 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,622,437 times
Quote:
I'm ignorant about American politics, I'll say that, but from the little I do know and what my American friends have told me, the political situation there is a big mess: if it wasn't so potentially disastrous, it would be farcical.

How on earth can Americans, living in the 'land of the free', even entertain the possibility of electing yahoos who brag about being heartless SOB's?

Just what WILL it take for Americans with a conscience to rise up and literally kick them out of the Oval Office, Congress.etc?

Also, with the Republican's emphasis on the military, it actually sounds like the logical result of this will be the US turning into a military dictatorship like in the Middle East. The danger isn't in Iran (well the biggest danger), it's in your own backyard. Don't think a Libyan-style dictatorship is too unrealistic given long enough. The GOP seemingly has the 'military on their side' (even though in reality the Democrats probably do have a lot of sway too) so in reality they could use fear to get the people to do anything they want. Aren't people afraid of a fascist dictatorship?

It may sound extreme, but when you have people exalting a violent, militaristic society, especially under the guise and God forbid, religion, you really have to worry.

What will happen if Romney actually does get elected? Will there be mass protests in the street? Will there be some sort of revolution? Something more than the Occupy movement which seemed to just be a lot of the same old 1960s rhetoric with no real action.
your friends are biased.
We have 8% unemployment. That means 92% of the workforce is working. The economy is in recovery. Much better than europe. We have two distinct political parties that are committed to bringing stability to the nation, albiet using different methods. As a nation, the wounds are still too fresh from our last civil war. We're not ready for another one.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:50 PM

55 posts, read 62,739 times
Europe, Australia and most other coutnries in the world have their elites. The sad fact is that we all have corporations that control the way we live. I want culture, communal living and a flat out end to globalization.

The world suffers from this, not just the usa.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:51 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,942,122 times
Quote:
I'm ignorant about American politics,
If that is the case then I can assume that I can feel free to ignore most of your post.

Quote:
What will happen if Romney actually does get elected?
We will have an inauguration in January marking the 150 years of the peaceful transfer of power from one administration to another and we as a nation will go from their. Revolution/secession the talk of barrooms and anonymous internet discussion forums neither of which are frequented by the majority of Americans.

Quote:
Will there be mass protests in the street?
It there weren't it wouldn't be America.

Quote:
Will there be some sort of revolution?
An extreme left and right fantasy, but a fantasy nonetheless.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:53 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,165,346 times
Quote:
Also, with the Republican's emphasis on the military, it actually sounds like the logical result of this will be the US turning into a military dictatorship like in the Middle East.
Despite ignorant people like you implying otherwise, the US is nowhere near military dictatorship and certainly doesn't sound like a logical result. There is plenty to sling mud at about American politics and military, but the separation of civilian leadership from military has always been something for others to strive to emulate. Probably the closest to strong military influence on political decisions happened over 60 years ago when MacArthur thought he was bigger than Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies