U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 12:13 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,185,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Figures that you would agree with an analysis that didn't have anything to do with the OP - and instead was the hateful diatribe of someone who read things in where they didn't exist - and by someone who appears to hate men.
Afraid to address me directly?

Living through, and observing others', domestic abuse does not make me hateful of men, although I'm still somewhat surprised it has not.

Facts are facts.

Marriage is supposed to be a haven of love, safety, protection, and growth...but regrettably for many women and children AND men, it is anything but.

The OP asserted that marriage is tantamount to an iron fortress of protection for women. It is NOT true. Men are not cookie-cutter copies of a mythical White Knight, and it's high time we acknowledge that.

I have a husband whom I love and adore. I have a son whom I love and adore.

I do not hate men, period. I do ask that they educate themselves better on the cultural problems (violence, rape, absentee fathers) that plaque our families and our society.

It's called responsibility, which is supposedly only practiced (if one is to believe certain posts here) by a single political party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 12:13 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,032,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Yet people have made legitimate arguments against it, and you ignored them.
I've read every single post in this thread - no legitamate arguments against the statistics have been provided.

Why is marriage such a threatening concept to some people that they need to deflect from, mischaracterize, and outright lie about someone who supports it and its important place in our society?

Old 08-20-2012, 12:15 PM

40,114 posts, read 24,354,028 times
Quote:
Yeah - you got called on your inability to support your claim - and now are running away.

What exactly is "outrageous" about the OP? Do you disagree with the factuality of the statistics?
Actually, I would like to know the source of the statistics.

And I would point out that the OP's interpretation of the statistics is questionable.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:17 PM

30,881 posts, read 31,761,982 times
Quote:
Yeah - you got called on your inability to support your claim - and now are running away.

What exactly is "outrageous" about the OP? Do you disagree with the factuality of the statistics?
No need to support my claim, your posts are here for all to see....The statistics are out dated by 18 years, so have little relevance today.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:17 PM

5,663 posts, read 4,374,276 times
Quote:
I've read every single post in this thread - no legitamate arguments against the statistics have been provided.

Why is marriage such a threatening concept to some people that they need to deflect from, mischaracterize, and outright lie about someone who supports it and its important place in our society?
Maybe if the OP linked his original data as the 'link' he showed doesn't lead to the data provided? Then we would be able to read it and debate it.

At the moment all we have is opinions and 'evidence' of unsupported and unproven data.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:18 PM

40,114 posts, read 24,354,028 times
Quote:
You are the only one making such a suggestion. Is it a Freudian slip that you keep making ths point?
YOU made the suggestion.

When you supported the OP, and then remarked that avoiding sexual assault should be incentive to get married. Which suggests those women who don't get married are engaging in risky behavior and since they are doing so, they have a responsibility for what happens to them.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:23 PM

7,450 posts, read 5,816,557 times
Quote:
Except the whole point of "statistics being too old to be relevant".

Quote:
Not downtrodding marriage, just the statistics, which most likely doesn't take everything into account, such as sexual abuse by your spouse.

And this could techically be a very good argument for homosexual marriage, so keep it up.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
YOU made the suggestion.
NO I did NOT.

Do not put words into my mouth.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:30 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,608,648 times
Quote:

Well then you have a serious problem with reading comprehension that goes well beyond anything any of us can do for you.

No one said marriage was a threatening concept. Suggesting that marriage should be entered into, not out of love, but for "safety"? THAT is what is threatening to society.

What we are trying to get through to you is that statistics can be easily skewed.

The title of this thread: "Marriage is the safest place for women," is not the appropriate conclusion to be drawn by the statistics posted by the OP.

All we can conclude from those statistics is that fewer married women (in 1994, that is) reported these instances, and more single women reported them.

Nothing more.

There are plenty of arguments for marriage. Love, commitment, and the stability of a child's household come to mind. That doesn't mean that marriage is for everyone, and it doesn't mean that people who decide not to get married are ruining society.

Do you get it yet?

Old 08-20-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Afraid to address me directly?

Living through, and observing others', domestic abuse does not make me hateful of men, although I'm still somewhat surprised it has not.

Facts are facts.

Marriage is supposed to be a haven of love, safety, protection, and growth...but regrettably for many women and children AND men, it is anything but.

The OP asserted that marriage is tantamount to an iron fortress of protection for women. It is NOT true. Men are not cookie-cutter copies of a mythical White Knight, and it's high time we acknowledge that.

I have a husband whom I love and adore. I have a son whom I love and adore.

I do not hate men, period. I do ask that they educate themselves better on the cultural problems (violence, rape, absentee fathers) that plaque our families and our society.

It's called responsibility, which is supposedly only practiced (if one is to believe certain posts here) by a single political party.
You are the one who said that the thread was about "controlling, shaming, and belittling women" and said somethging about it advocating for sex with minors - when it does not.

How else am I supposed to interpret a post with so many innacuracies and mischaracterizations - as youre's contained?

If you don't want to have that perception of you - then tone down the outrageous rhetoric and stick with the facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
No.

THE driving force of sexual assault is, and has always been, male-driven rage and a wish to control and shame women.

And shame on YOU for yet another repugnant, ignorant thread aimed at controlling, shaming, and belittling women, as well as another push to advocate sex with minors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies