U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 12:31 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,609,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Except the whole point of "statistics being too old to be relevant".

Not downtrodding marriage, just the statistics, which most likely doesn't take everything into account, such as sexual abuse by your spouse.

And this could techically be a very good argument for homosexual marriage, so keep it up.
Exactly!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 12:32 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,565,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
NO I did NOT.

Do not put words into my mouth.
Did you have a point???

Old 08-20-2012, 12:34 PM

40,115 posts, read 24,369,621 times
Quote:
NO I did NOT.

Do not put words into my mouth.
I didn't put words into your mouth.

You made the assertion that a woman who doesn't want to be sexually assaulted should see marriage as an incentive.

Those were your words. Which means that if she doesn't find safety a sufficient incentive, then she's willingly putting herself at risk. Which is putting the blame on women.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:35 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,187,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Posts like the OP's is one of the reasons women, children, and yes even men, continue to be sexually assaulted, because people make excused for the sex offenders and blame the women. If it's always the victims fault then nobody has to worry about it..."She must have been asking for it, or she wouldn't have been at that bar alone at that time, wearing that outfit." Give me a ruttin' break.

People who think women are in anyway responsible for being sexually assaulted, need to be locked in a male prison wearing a pink tutu and a halter top.

You might be one if:
You think women who dress "provocatively" are asking/wanting to be raped.
If you think that forcing a woman to be in a relationship/marriage to have a man protect her.
If you think that women who get pregnant after being assaulted should not have the right to abort the pregnancy.
If you start a thread as an apologist to sex offenders.
There are more, if anyone wants to add to it, feel free.
Quote:
You are the only one making such a suggestion. Is it a Freudian slip that you keep making ths point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
No. Let's keep in mind that in our no-fault divorce regime around 2/3 of divorces are initiated by women, and most of them have nothing to do with abuse, adultery, or abandonment. Reasons given are typically along the lines of "irreconcilable differences", finances, communication, etc.

Conclusion: A large number of female divorcees are just looking for some excitement and romance, and that leads to risky behaviors.
Quote:
First of all, don't get drunk - between 40 and 50 percent of rape victims are intoxicated at the time of the assault. Never married and divorced women tend to participate too much in a culture of alcohol abuse because that's where the easily available men seem to be.

Second, don't advertise yourself as available for non-marital sex by your dress and behavior.

Third, keep good company. If you don't hang out with other ladies with bad habits, you won't get caught up in their mistakes.

But the post was not really about what individuals should do. It's about culture and public policy. We need to return to a culture of marriage - and by that I mean early marriage - and public policies that reflect this priority.
Quote:
The average age of first sexual intercourse has, historically, been around 17 y/o. The human body is ready for it, and traditionally men and women have also been psychologically, emotionally, and spiritually ready for it. There is no reason why that first sexual experience should not once again take place within the sanctity of marriage. The only thing in the way is the radically delayed maturity of stunted moderns whose ideals have shifted from marriage and family to a life of perpetual adolescence.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:38 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,042,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I didn't put words into your mouth.

You made the assertion that a woman who doesn't want to be sexually assaulted should see marriage as an incentive.

Those were your words. Which means that if she doesn't find safety a sufficient incentive, then she's willingly putting herself at risk. Which is putting the blame on women.
Actually - those were not my words - quote me if they were.

You have misinterpreted what I said - and have used some very convoluted reasoning to support your misinterpretation.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM

13,398 posts, read 21,956,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Oh, but she won't get pregnant according to this "expert".

"It seems to me first of all, from what I understand from doctors, that's really rare. If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

Read more: U.S. Senate candidate under wraps after rape remarks | CTVNews
I wonder what sort of doctors conveyed to this dolt that the female body has ways (apparently more than one) to try to shut that whole thing down. What whole thing - her vagina? The conception? Wouldn't it be great if women had little guillotines built into their cervices so they could just "chop that whole thing down" when a "legitimate rape" is happening to them?

I want the living brain amputee list the names of the doctors who advised him of this craziness so women can use their services with the knowledge that their doctors are gravely misinformed.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Actually - those were not my words - quote me if they were.

You have misinterpreted what I said - and have used some very convoluted reasoning to support your misinterpretation.

Okay how about this: instead of whining about how very misunderstood you are, why not explain to us what you mean?

Do you actually think that women are putting themselves in danger because they aren't getting married?

Do you actually think it is the unmarried woman's fault for getting sexually assaulted because she didn't get married?

Old 08-20-2012, 12:43 PM

30,882 posts, read 31,776,624 times
Quote:
A lot of people here seem to want women to be placed into danger - I wonder why.

Why the outrage over someone saying that a woman is in a better situation if she is married - the statistics show this to be true - arguing against reality doesn't get you anywhere.
Your words.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:44 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,042,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Do you actually think it is the unmarried woman's fault for getting sexually assaulted because she didn't get married?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Do you actually think that women are putting themselves in danger because they aren't getting married?
The statistics appear to demonstrate so.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I wonder what sort of doctors conveyed to this dolt that the female body has ways (apparently more than one) to try to shut that whole thing down. What whole thing - her vagina? The conception? Wouldn't it be great if women had little guillotines built into their cervices so they could just "chop that whole thing down" when a "legitimate rape" is happening to them?

Not sure if you ever saw the movie Teeth. I watched it last night, and it made me feel a lot better after reading about that stupid piece of garbage Akin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies