U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 02:46 PM

4,255 posts, read 4,730,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
My point is that you are drawing inappropriate conclusions when there are perfectly reasonable arguments for marriage.
My conclusion is simply that marriage is the safest place for women. No one here has provided any data to refute this.

By the way, there is a MASSIVE cover-up going on with respect to domestic violence data. Whether it's sexual assault, homicide, or whatever, the people who collect the data almost always lump "boyfriends" and "husbands" together as "intimate partners", or some other category designed to hide the difference between marriage and cohabitation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 02:48 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,059,373 times
Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS)

There is a link to a PDf that explains the methodology used in the survey.

Seems like interviews were conducted - which could include victims who did not report crimes to LE.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Please note that it's pretty much impossible to fully account for unreported crimes.

Due to the nature of being unreported.
Hey, Sherlock, please note that "reporting" in crime data means reporting the crime to law enforcement. Got it? There's risk in doing that. That's why underreporting is a problem.

But there's no risk whatsoever in responding anonymously to a survey question, and that's how unreported crimes were captured in the data I referenced.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:50 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,611,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You are working with the same data - if it is incomplete then how can you criticize any conclusions that are drawn from it - let alone draw your own?
I didn't draw any conclusions from the data other than the fact that the data do not support the OP's conclusion that marriage is the safest place for a woman. This is the only conclusion that can be drawn from such data.

All they conclude is that married women report fewer instances of sexual assault than single women.

This doesn't mean that women should go out and find themselves any husband available to avoid being raped.

This doesn't mean that rapists see marriage as a sexual deterrent.

This doesn't mean that people arguing against you and the OP are against marriage.

Again you did not answer my question: do you honestly think that a wedding ring acts as some type of defense to being sexually assaulted?

Old 08-20-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS)

There is a link to a PDf that explains the methodology used in the survey.
Now show me where this says a woman should run out and get married so she doesn't get raped.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:52 PM

8,287 posts, read 7,532,902 times
And don't forget that husbands rape their wives often 20 or more times.

Quote:
"Women who are raped by their husbands are likely to be raped many times, often 20 or more times. They experience not only vaginal rape, but also oral and anal rape. Researchers generally categorize marital rape into three types; force-only rape, battering rape and sadistic."
Marital Rape: New Research and Directions
Ah, the sanctified protection of married women.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Now show me where this says a woman should run out and get married so she doesn't get raped.
You first. Show me where Harrier, myself, or anyone else said "a woman should run out and get married so she doesn't get raped." Thanks a bunch.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Hey, Sherlock, please note that "reporting" in crime data means reporting the crime to law enforcement. Got it? There's risk in doing that. That's why underreporting is a problem.

But there's no risk whatsoever in responding anonymously to a survey question, and that's how unreported crimes were captured in the data I referenced.
Actually some women feel there is a risk to their mental health in thinking about past traumas. So you can't even get that right, can you?

Old 08-20-2012, 02:54 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,059,373 times
Quote:
Again you did not answer my question: do you honestly think that a wedding ring acts as some type of defense to being sexually assaulted?
No - it is not an immediate deterrant and I never claimed that it was.

The statistics that WP gave indicate that married women are less likely than divorced or single women to be sexually assaulted - and I trust the statistics.

You would do well to pay attention to what i say instead of trying to twist my words into your own creation.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:54 PM

8,878 posts, read 7,985,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Maybe we should be focusing on WHY men are abusing these women regardless of what their marital status is?

Couldn't rep you again, yet, JJ.

WesternPilgrim, what point are you trying to make with this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies