U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-20-2012, 02:55 PM
 
9,199 posts, read 7,063,943 times
Reputation: 11154

Advertisements

Regardless, the conclusion one should draw from these "statistics" is that men should stop being violent toward women, not that more women should get married - either earlier or at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2012, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Lehighton/Jim Thorpe area
2,095 posts, read 2,610,347 times
Reputation: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
You first. Show me where Harrier, myself, or anyone else said "a woman should run out and get married so she doesn't get raped." Thanks a bunch.
So enlighten me then: what was the whole point of you even posting this thread??????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 02:55 PM
 
40,143 posts, read 24,376,127 times
Reputation: 12635
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
The idea that the stats are unreliable because married women are less likely to report a sexual assault than other women is a total canard, and it has been repeated over and over in this thread. But of all the groups surveyed, married and widowed women are probably the best reported categories. Sexual assaults among drunken co-eds and carousing divorcees are less likely to be reported because they're less likely to be remembered in the first place. Sexual assaults against teenage girls are less likely to be reported because of shame, confusion, and fear of parental disapproval. On the other hand, sexual assault within marriage is likely to be very low for the simple fact that married men have lower crime stats, lower rates of alcohol abuse, lower rates of mental illness, lower rates of depression and suicide, and lower rates of anti-social behavior across the board.

On the underreporting issue, let's look at the source of the data:

"The statistics from the Criminal Victimization in the United States, 1994 report come from National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) data. The NCVS surveys a representative sample of approximately 50,000 United States households every year with more than 100,000 individuals age 12 or older. The data from this survey is intended to capture both reported and unreported crimes to complement reported crimes to the police as documented in the Federal Bureau of Investigation's annual Uniform Crime Report."

Once again the enemies of marriage, like ideological fanatics of every stripe, prove themselves to be fundamentally dishonest and incapable of dealing with reality.
You've really crossed a line here. "Drunken co-eds" and "carousing divorcees". Who do you think you are? Your characterizations of women who've been raped bears no resemblance to reality. As a woman who has been raped, I think that such characterizations suggest that women are responsible for a man brutalizing and objectifying her. And the fact that you are a married man, with children, and yet in your heart think these kinds of things is totally disgusting.

Married women are less likely to report being raped by their husbands. That is the truth. The reasons are myriad. They love the man who raped them, and while they hate what he did, some women are taught that it's a husband's right. They love him and think they provoked his attack. They love him and don't want to see him hurt. They love him and believe him when he says it will never happen again. They don't love him, but they are afraid of going homeless. They don't love him, but they have children to think about. They don't love him, but they are afraid of people finding out. They don't love him, but they are afraid of him. Because it's not like any of those "carousing divorcees" get hunted down by their exes and end up getting raped or worse killed, for daring to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
8,287 posts, read 7,530,330 times
Reputation: 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Regardless, the conclusion one should draw from these "statistics" is that men should stop being violent toward women, not that more women should get married - either earlier or at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 02:58 PM
 
40,143 posts, read 24,376,127 times
Reputation: 12635
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Please note that unreported crimes are captured by the survey.
Actually, I think you're wrong. Perhaps you could provide an actual link to the survey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Lehighton/Jim Thorpe area
2,095 posts, read 2,610,347 times
Reputation: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No - it is not an immediate deterrant and I never claimed that it was.

The statistics that WP gave indicate that married women are less likely than divorced or single women to be sexually assaulted - and I trust the statistics.

You would do well to pay attention to what i say instead of trying to twist my words into your own creation.

What words have I twisted? Do you not remember writing about how a woman should "defend" herself in any way possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
29,124 posts, read 22,048,483 times
Reputation: 6128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
So enlighten me then: what was the whole point of you even posting this thread??????????
That seems to be your problem - you keep looking for "ulterior motives" rather then taking in a report of data.

I will let WP speak for himself - but what i got out of the OP was that married women are statistically less likely to be sexually assaulted than divorced or single women. That is exactly what the study claimed.

It is much easier to process information if you don't think that the reporter has some type of "agenda".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 02:59 PM
 
Location: The Other California
4,255 posts, read 4,728,180 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Actually some women feel there is a risk to their mental health in thinking about past traumas. So you can't even get that right, can you?
Which makes it very convenient for you, no?

Let's see .... married women don't report crimes to law enforcement, don't respond honestly to anonymous surveys, and don't even think about past traumas. Therefore you can make any wild claims about marital rape you want to, and they can't be refuted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 03:00 PM
 
Location: The Other California
4,255 posts, read 4,728,180 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, I think you're wrong. Perhaps you could provide an actual link to the survey.
Perhaps you could read the link I provided in the OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 03:00 PM
 
40,143 posts, read 24,376,127 times
Reputation: 12635
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
My conclusion is simply that marriage is the safest place for women. No one here has provided any data to refute this.

By the way, there is a MASSIVE cover-up going on with respect to domestic violence data. Whether it's sexual assault, homicide, or whatever, the people who collect the data almost always lump "boyfriends" and "husbands" together as "intimate partners", or some other category designed to hide the difference between marriage and cohabitation.
Just a point, but you haven't provided any data at all.

You keep citing a report, but you haven't provided a link to that data.

You can say anything you want about the report. But until you actually provide a link, then you're pissing in the wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:56 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top