U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 03:42 PM

8,223 posts, read 10,750,470 times

Advertisements

I just went through the OP threads.
Wth? Normalizing Pedophilia was a topic for him.
I guess he does advocate some strange ideas.

He would fit right in with Saudi Arabia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 03:43 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,179,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

He would fit right in with Saudi Arabia.
Exactly.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:44 PM

7,450 posts, read 5,806,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Excellent suggestion.

Please let us know when you find one.
Because going back a page is so hard.

2006 National Crime Victimization Survey Results | RAINN | Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network

Old 08-20-2012, 03:54 PM

4,255 posts, read 4,714,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I am continually amazed at the total lack of conscience you people exhibit. No opportunity is missed to smear the reputations of people you disagree with. Does "thou shalt not bear false witness against they neighbor" ring a bell? Can you say C-A-L-U-M-N-Y? Have you no fear of God?

The normalizing pedophilia thread was a rhetorical question that used precisely the same kinds of arguments others have put forth for normalizing homosexuality - arguments which I reject entirely. It was the continuation of an ongoing C-D discussion. That should be crystal clear to anyone who carefully read the OP and subsequent comments.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:01 PM

5,666 posts, read 4,365,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I am continually amazed at the total lack of conscience you people exhibit. No opportunity is missed to smear the reputations of people you disagree with. Does "thou shalt not bear false witness against they neighbor" ring a bell? Can you say C-A-L-U-M-N-Y? Have you no fear of God?
Not sure of the relevance but i'll give it a go..

Does "thou shalt not bear false witness against they neighbor" ring a bell? Vaguely.. although the version I know says "thy" neighbour.
Can you say C-A-L-U-M-N-Y? Probably... What does it rhyme with?
Have you no fear of God? No.

I hope that's helped in some way, still not sure why you wanted to know but if it makes you happy.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:01 PM

40,029 posts, read 24,286,353 times
Quote:

The normalizing pedophilia thread was a rhetorical question that used precisely the same kinds of arguments others have put forth for normalizing homosexuality. It was the continuation of an ongoing C-D discussion. That should be crystal clear to anyone who read the OP carefully and subsequent comments.
There is no reason to smear the OP.

The OP sets out his position with perfect clarity. The fact that it is a perfectly horrid position that garners logical and thoughtful rebuttals is a testament to the patience that is afforded the OP. Women aren't going to return to the social and economic roles they had 100 years ago. The fact that women are unwilling to do so should tell you something.

I think you should be very grateful for the wife who extends herself for you on so many levels. She's one in a million.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think you should be very grateful for the wife who extends herself for you on so many levels. She's one in a million.
I am, and she is indeed. I'll give you that.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There is no reason to smear the OP.
One more thing, DC. I know you disagree with me fiercely, even to the point of "horror", but you have always been careful to address my actual arguments directly, and have (so far as I recall) avoided ad hominem attacks. For that you stand out among your peers.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:31 PM

32,322 posts, read 59,661,002 times
Quote:
The idea that the stats are unreliable because married women are less likely to report a sexual assault than other women is a total canard
Well, if it walks like a canard and quacks like a canard ...

Quote:
Sexual assaults among drunken co-eds and carousing divorcees
Seriously?

Quote:
On the other hand, sexual assault within marriage is likely to be very low for the simple fact that married men have lower crime stats, lower rates of alcohol abuse, lower rates of mental illness, lower rates of depression and suicide, and lower rates of anti-social behavior across the board.
I'll have to tell that to some female friends who have been beaten up by their husbands. No doubt they'll be grateful for your information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
We should focus not only on how women can better protect themselves, but also on teaching would be attackers that it isn't ok to sexually assault anyone.
And I'd put the second before the first. If men would understand that it isn't OK to assault anyone -- sexually or otherwise -- women wouldn't have to learn to protect themselves.

Quote:
I am a man that supports a woman's right to choose what she does with her body. I do not see women as weaker then men. I do have an issue with men that have the mentality that women should be careful, and do nothing to teach people that it is not okay to sexually assault others. Threads like these do nothing to help the issue of sexual assault, they only make it worse by pointing the finger at women.
Good for you. And thank you.

Quote:
By the way, there is a MASSIVE cover-up going on with respect to domestic violence data. Whether it's sexual assault, homicide, or whatever, the people who collect the data almost always lump "boyfriends" and "husbands" together as "intimate partners", or some other category designed to hide the difference between marriage and cohabitation.
There is no difference; a committed relationship is a committed relationship.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There is no difference; a committed relationship is a committed relationship.
But cohabitation is seldom a committed relationship.

Here's what the domestic violence stats try to hide:

* According to the National Crime Victimization Survey, of all violent crimes against women by their intimate partners between 1979 and 1987, about 65 percent were committed by either a boyfriend or ex-husband, while only 9 percent were committed by husbands.(1)

* Another study, published in the Journal of Family Violence, explains the following regarding the association between batterer and victim, “The most frequently cited relationship was cohabitation, with close to one-half (48 percent) of the couples living together.”(2)

* The Family Violence Research Program at the University of New Hampshire conducted a study of more than two thousand adults concerning this subject. It was concluded that the overall rates of violence for cohabiting couples was twice as high and the overall rate for “severe” violence was nearly five times as high for cohabiting couples when compared with married couples.(3
)

* “Aggression is at least twice as common among cohabiters as it is among married partners,” states yet another expert, Dr. Jan E. Stets, in a major study comparing cohabitational and marital aggression. In a one year period, 35 out of every 100 cohabiting couples have experienced some form of physical aggression, compared to 15 out of every 100 married couples. The lowest percent was found among married couples at 19 percent.(4)

* A study published by the University of Chicago found that of women who had reportedly been forced to perform a sexual act, 46 percent reported that the aggressor was someone they were in love with but not married to, while only 9 percent reported that the aggressor was a spouse.(5)

* When it comes to hitting, shoving, and throwing things, cohabitating couples are more than three times more likely than marrieds to say things get that far out of hand.(6
)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies