Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 12:34 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I agree with 100% of what you posted - SO WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

Do you see what i mean when - I say you have no consicence?

Why should I have deny a baseless charge that you make against me?
What baseless charge did I make against you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 12:41 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
No, uh uh. SHOW ME the posts. Prove your point.
Read the thread and it will be proved - you are operating on emotion and not reason - so your misinformation seems factual to you- most likely. Until you can read the thread objectively and understand where I am coming from - you aren't going to see how hurtful and vicious the lies and misinformation that you and others have been posting are - or how they are perceived.

So - no i will not take an hour of my time to do something that you can do yourself. Just understand that I am truly upset - and have a legitamate complaint. My character has been attacked - and my patience has been worn thin. I will not be further insulted by being asked to do what you can do yourself - which is to read the thread.

Good day.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:42 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
WesternPilgrim - Please answer this question:

What was the point of this thread? Say we all accept the link you posted as accurate, so what? Women, in general, aren't going to get married out of fear for their physical safety. Perhaps this was the case 100 years ago when a single woman had no means to support and defend herself if not married. Women today will marry, or not, based on many things, but to have a man to protect them is not one of them.

So, why did you start this thread? Was it just to point out crime statistics? Was there some other point to it all?
I answered the question here.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What baseless charge did I make against you?
Quote:

If you are uncomfortable with those facts, then too bad.
Placing that at the end of that particular posts insinuates that I don't agree with your statements.

You will recall that I posted above that I agree with what you wrote 100%.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:45 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
We've already shown in this forum that, statistically, the safest place for any child is living with his married biological parents. The overwhelming majority of abuse is perpetrated against children living with just one biological parent, typically the mother - whether alone, co-habitating, or married to someone unrelated to the child.

It seems that traditional marriage is also the safest place for women. While researching something else, I came across this statistic pertaining to female victims of sexual assault in 1994:

Rate of sexual assault for women (1994) per 100,000

Divorced or separated - 9.1
Never married - 7.0
Widowed - 1.2
Married - 1.1

So a woman who is divorced or separated is 9 times more likely to be a victim of sexual assault, and a never married woman 7 times more likely, than a married woman living with her husband.

Fascinating, isn't it? Men protect their wives and children, and the bad guys leave them alone.
Aren't most adulterers married men?

Old 08-21-2012, 12:46 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Placing that at the end of that particular posts insinuates that I don't agree with your statements.
Oh, my word!

There is no baseless attack made on you in that post. And if that's the best spin you can do, well, I'll let you figure it out.

Shaking my head in disbelief, wish there were an icon for that.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
There is no baseless attack made on you in that post.
Yes there is - why would you assume that your post "made me uncomfortable"? You implied that i thought rape was OK. You can't hardly be more vicious than that.

You can't hide that you didn't come right out and say it either - don't "spin" your statement. You may have been careless - but it is was still wrong.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:50 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
Read the thread and it will be proved - you are operating on emotion and not reason - so your misinformation seems factual to you- most likely. Until you can read the thread objectively and understand where I am coming from - you aren't going to see how hurtful and vicious the lies and misinformation that you and others have been posting are - or how they are perceived.

So - no i will not take an hour of my time to do something that you can do yourself. Just understand that I am truly upset - and have a legitamate complaint. My character has been attacked - and my patience has been worn thin. I will not be further insulted by being asked to do what you can do yourself - which is to read the thread.

Good day.
Translation: I got nothin'. Me me me me me.

News flash: This thread isn't about you. It's about a false premise that marriage protects against rape. It's also about perceptions regarding rape -- the victim and the rapist. There have been statements in this thread that either purposefully or through ineptitude have suggested that women (through inebriation, marital status, clothing, or otherwise) are in someway responsible for being the victims of rape. We have rightfully and deservedly attacked those statements as false and hurtful.

Your posts were, at some points, seen to be defending the position that women are responsible. You as well as the OP have cried "victim!" and then attacked posters for being hateful, which we are not, and men haters, which we are not.

So good day to you, too...and please realize you are not the only person involved with this thread who has been hurt and extremely angered.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:54 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times
Quote:
The percentage range of 30-79% is a huge range that would leave most researchers extremely cautious about drawing any conclusions. And the studies were about college students, not the general population. So I think you're mixing apples with oranges here. You cannot draw conclusions about the general population from studies of college students. The lifestyles and experiences of college students are markedly different from the general population.

Here's the link to the Abbey study, by the way.

http://www.collegedrinkingprevention.../118-abbey.pdf
Agreed about the caution in drawing conclusions, but if some studies show 50-79%, that is alarming and not to be dismissed.

The Abbey study of college students is just one study evaluated by the researchers. The claim made in the NIAAA report, which Dr. Abbey also contributed to, referred to the general population, not just college students:

"Similarly, approximately one-half of all sexual assault victims report that they were drinking alcohol at the time of the assault, with estimates ranging from 30 to 79 percent (Abbey et al. 1994; Crowell and Burgess 1996)."

Please see the NIAAA report for context.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:59 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Yes, the reason was to highlight one of the social benefits of marriage. I thought that was clear. Marriage changes human behavior in positive ways. Married women don't find themselves in harms' way as often as unmarried women do. Married men tend to treat women with more respect. Etc. Yes, there are exceptions and you can throw anecdotes at me all day long, but once again we're talking about probabilities, not guarantees, and those probabilities are strongly supported by the data I have presented.

Although unmarried people aren't "bad" because they are unmarried, what is bad is the attitude that marriage is purely a personal thing and shouldn't matter to society at large. But as I've shown, it does matter to society, and the decline of marriage creates all kinds of problems that society needs to address.
Here's where we part ways. You believe that people should marry for the good of society. I do not. People should marry if they find someone they believe will be a worthy mate based on whatever criteria they prefer. Society has long put pressure on both women and men to marry. And what has that gained us? A divorce rate in excess of 50%. How is that good for society? Is an unmarried women a bigger detriment to society than a divorced mother or father of 3?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies