Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:50 AM

25,956 posts, read 24,675,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not true. They create jobs and grow the economy, but there aren't that many of them to begin with. Demonizing 0.1% or even 1% of the tax-filing public will change nothing. Confiscate their money, spend it all, kill the golden goose, and then what?

EAT THE RICH! - YouTube

Flight of The Golden Geese - YouTube
Also debunked in the link above...

Plus, take for instance all those rich financial services people, they are actually poison for a sound economy, and with every job they create there is more poison around. Bubble jobs without a solid, sustainable foundation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:52 AM

20 posts, read 18,335 times
Quote:
You think you're being glib and making a point. But, here's the reality...
Not only do I think I was being glib, but in fact I was being glib!

(Unless you actually believe in euthanasia for those who don't "contribute," in which case I wasn't being glib.)

Old 08-21-2012, 07:52 AM

88,800 posts, read 44,594,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Regarding that, I like the link someone posted pages ago:
6 Things Rich People Need to Stop Saying | Cracked.com

I have read both pages and absolutely share those views
Instead of reading and mindlessly believing a slanted opinion piece (there's that leftist 'feeling' instead of actually thinking ), why not read an actual 20-year study of millionaires?

"The Millionaire Next Door"

Chapter 1:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...z__gfiGCupUzzg

Old 08-21-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I think a lot of it is about jealousy. It's not fair, they have more than me.

What is really sad is that the poor will never see any of it anyway. It will all go into this or that politician's pet project.

It is all about taking the 'rich' down and not about lifting poorer people up. It is a lowest common denominator argument and that has never been a good route to prosperity.
On what basis do you think this?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:54 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,885,317 times
Quote:
Jealousy, yet another myth debunked in that link above
You make the mistake to believe everyone wants to be rich. Most people don't, they just want to lead decent lives without worrying about getting ill etc.
But most people can and do lead decent lives. It is a nonsense that taxing the 'rich' more will improve their lives.

And it isn't really about taxing the 'rich'. It is more about taxing the upper level of the middle class which is why Obama set the bar at $250k. An income of $250k will get you a nice life but it will never make you rich.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Instead of reading and mindlessly believing a slanted opinion piece (there's that leftist 'feeling' instead of actually thinking ), why not read an actual 20-year study of millionaires?

"The Millionaire Next Door"

Chapter 1:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...z__gfiGCupUzzg
That article I cited just confirmed my views, that I have held for 30 years or so, I don't have to believe anyone's views, I have my own, and some others share them...

Old 08-21-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
But most people can and do lead decent lives. It is a nonsense that taxing the 'rich' more will improve their lives.

And it isn't really about taxing the 'rich'. It is more about taxing the upper level of the middle class which is why Obama set the bar at $250k. An income of $250k will get you a nice life but it will never make you rich.
Depends on where you live, NYC or Nebraska

Old 08-21-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:

If that's your combined income for a family of 6 with a $700K mortgage and four car loans, no, you'll likely never get rich.

Oh, I'm sorry, that's not the ONLY way to live??

Old 08-21-2012, 08:01 AM

Again, the really interesting about the op is that, without knowing it, the vast majority of Americans tend towards the Swedish rather than the US system
This whole tax and poor little rich people crap has been discussed I don't know how many times already...

Old 08-21-2012, 08:05 AM

88,800 posts, read 44,594,609 times
Quote:
Also debunked in the link above...
Wow...You can't debunk actual facts with an opinion piece.

A very few are paying a GROSSLY disproportionately high share of the federal income tax revenue. That's a FACT. Confirmed by data published by the IRS.
Quote:
Plus, take for instance all those rich financial services people, they are actually poison for a sound economy, and with every job they create there is more poison around. Bubble jobs without a solid, sustainable foundation.
That's the government's fault. Too much intervention and manipulation of what should have been a free market system. Fannie Mae's former chief credit officer explains it...

RealClearMarkets - How Did Paul Krugman Get It So Wrong?

And Obama and the Dems have worked REALLY hard to keep the financial services sector rich at everyone else's expense...
Quote:
the extensive series of loophole-rich financial "reforms" that the Democrats are currently pushing may ultimately do more harm than good. In fact, some parts of the new reforms border on insanity, threatening to vastly amplify Wall Street's political power by institutionalizing the taxpayer's role as a welfare provider for the financial-services industry. At one point in the debate, Obama's top economic advisers demanded the power to award future bailouts without even going to Congress for approval - and without providing taxpayers a single dime in equity on the deals.

How did we get here? It started just moments after the election - and almost nobody noticed.

'Just look at the timeline of the Citigroup deal," says one leading Democratic consultant. "Just look at it. It's ****ing amazing. Amazing! And nobody said a thing about it."
https://www.commondreams.org/headline/2009/12/13-8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies