U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 AM

687 posts, read 1,133,467 times

Advertisements

Clearly the OP knows nothing about firearms. Every brand of ammo acts differently in a semi auto pistol. Your gun could be 100 percent reliable with Remington FMJ but then have jams with hollow points. Or maybe it works great with Federal hollow points but lousy with Winchester hollow points. Different brands also shoot higher or lower than others. The only way to know your pistol is reliable is to practice with the load you carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 AM

20,310 posts, read 19,482,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
Clearly the OP knows nothing about firearms. Every brand of ammo acts differently in a semi auto pistol. Your gun could be 100 percent reliable with Remington FMJ but then have jams with hollow points. Or maybe it works great with Federal hollow points but lousy with Winchester hollow points. Different brands also shoot higher or lower than others. The only way to know your pistol is reliable is to practice with the load you carry.
I agree if you are someone shooting for tight groups. That is why I hand load. Most cops shoot center mass and care little for groups. If they empty their magazine and shoot a 10 inch group at 10 meters but all center mass they celebrate. If I shot such I group I would need to fight the urge to turn my weapon on myself. LOL

Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,259,148 times
Quote:

With all due respect, you give LE agencies too much credit that they would even consider this. More likely it is that they don't want some agent/LEO loading his duty pistol with FMJ rounds after taking a couple of boxes of ammo home from the range. Of course, cost is only a factor when an ammo bid is considered in its entirety (often multi-year contracts).

Old 08-20-2012, 09:26 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,440,745 times
I have a preference for large bore Pistols. The single action Army style revolver with a transfer bar trigger system because of the absolute reilability and a Colt 1911 single action semi-automatic for the same reason. They shoot when I pull the trigger and don't when I do not. They also hit like a sledghammer and almost always stop the fight with one hit.

Maybe they bought so much ammunition so they could join the 60 rds fired with five hits club.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:42 AM

290 posts, read 799,893 times
Amazing that people can't understand there are different cost considerations when comparing agencies purchasing tens of thousands of pistols and an individual civilian.

Pistols used by most departments have a "shelf life" which ends after "X" number of rounds has been fired through the gun. It would be impossible to determine which gun reaches this benchmark the cheapest and most reliably in real-world conditions if everyone was firing different kinds of ammo through them. Add in the logistical streamlining of having one ammo standard and bulk purchase discounts, and it becomes apparent why a department would prefer to buy one ammo type.

And target shooting/group sizing means very little in the world of combat shooting. While some may be impressed with tight groups while slow firing, it's something else entirely to train for center of mass hits out of the holster, under timed conditions, with a reload or two thrown into the mix while shooting weak handed. Driving tacks in controlled conditions doesn't win gun fights, being the first to hit center of mass does.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:34 PM

32,510 posts, read 26,406,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
You should train with the ammunition you expect to use and the gun will likely recoil differently with low velocity "target' loads. When you are usuing a gun for real you do not have time to readjust to the way the gun is reacting while being shot. So practice with "real" ammo is the rule.
Quote:
i agree with both of these posts. and like gregw i also prefer large bore pistols. i also prefer DA/SA semi autos. that way i can put the hammer down with a round in the chamber, and i dont have to **** the hammer before i shoot the pistol. i can also carry the pistol cocked and locked like the 1911.

and by the way, there is a difference between shooting a 185 grain .45acp round and a 230 grain .45acp round. not much, but enough to feel.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:57 PM

4,260 posts, read 2,979,687 times
Sorry , but as a shooter I dont practice with expensive ammo. Now if I was spending someone elses money then hell , I suppose I could use gold tipped bullets.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:16 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,295,610 times
Every shooter I have ever known trains mostly with ball ammo, which is cheaper to manufacture, and carries HP, which expands upon hitting flesh and thus will stop a fight quicker. When shooting at a target, obviously there is not much point to the hollow point (haha).

This is the same thing that makes Amtrak lose $800 million selling $9.50 cheeseburgers. Everyone should understand by now that this is how gov't works, whether Amtrack, Medicare, or a DHS gun range.

Amtrack lost 800 million dollars on burgers and soda

Old 08-20-2012, 04:29 PM

20,310 posts, read 19,482,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have a preference for large bore Pistols. The single action Army style revolver with a transfer bar trigger system because of the absolute reilability and a Colt 1911 single action semi-automatic for the same reason. They shoot when I pull the trigger and don't when I do not. They also hit like a sledghammer and almost always stop the fight with one hit.

Maybe they bought so much ammunition so they could join the 60 rds fired with five hits club.
LOL well said. LOLOLOLOLOLOL and very true.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:35 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,624,599 times
They're just trying to thin the ranks of ss seniors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or