Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 01:38 AM

6 posts, read 4,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
people think being offended = being harassed...

that's my issue with PC, people don't know how to take opposing views and even if they are offended by it, can't separate it from a personal attack
I do not think seeing it from the point of view of being harrashed is correct. As a leader, you are saddle with the responsibility of weighing opinions. Where every Joe at a bar can voice out an opinion without restrains considering the limited audience he has, a leader has to be careful with how different groups will react. For example, if people feel that the have a tacit support to take up arms against a perceived enermy or commit mass murder because of a misconstrued statement, then you will better appreciate why being politically correct is not such a bad thing.

There is an addage that says, "Think what your like but mind what you say", we even do it with our children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 02:14 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,865,118 times
PC is just leftist authoritarian puppet masters dictating what everyone can and can't say. What could possibly be wrong with that? That's a tuffy.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:16 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,594,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
PC throws logic and reasoning out the window in order to achieve some made up social justice premise.

pretty accurate

Old 01-15-2018, 03:13 AM

934 posts, read 402,032 times
It's simple (but obviously, not easy).

When everybody is calling a distinct group of people names, even in the media and public life, some PC is needed as a remedy.

However, when a distinct group of people is walking on eggshells afraid to utter a peep that might offend some other group (even inadvertently!), when people are numb with fear of losing own job and being ostracised, there's PC running rampant, and something needs to be done about it, too.

It's simple because it's all about balance.
It's not easy because people have different ideas about where the balance lies.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:23 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,865,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
It's simple (but obviously, not easy).

When everybody is calling a distinct group of people names, even in the media and public life, some PC is needed as a remedy.

However, when a distinct group of people is walking on eggshells afraid to utter a peep that might offend some other group (even inadvertently!), when people are numb with fear of losing own job and being ostracised, there's PC running rampant, and something needs to be done about it, too.

It's simple because it's all about balance.
It's not easy because people have different ideas about where the balance lies.
But PC doesn't accomplish that. It plays identity group favorites. Who should care if a group is criticized fairly or even unfairly? A group is more immune to criticism than an individual is. The remedy is to use free speech to defend your group and to make counter claims.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:33 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindashift View Post
PC is about sensitivity... Choosing your words carefully and knowing what to say and when because while we may feel correct with our opinions, the effects of our statements can lead to unwanted reactions
its not about sensitivity at all

political correctness is about judging the actions of two people differently based on their profile

a straight white man is judged most harshly

a lesbian muslim the least

the PC brigade believe in a hierarchy of victimhood , its one of their central planks

political correctness is deeply authoritarian and worst of all is largely a pastime of middle class academic types who have little real world experience , it benefits very few struggling people

attacks on labour unions
outsourcing
competition for housing at the low end

these are the kind of thing the left should be worried about , not whether its bad for a boy to be told he shouldnt wear pink in nursery

Old 01-15-2018, 06:01 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I keep hearing certain people complain about the term as if it's a bad thing. What's wrong with using language without offending a particular group of people? Those who have a problem with "PC" seems to demonstrate that it's a threat to free speech and has an affinity to tyranny. First of all, free speech only protects you from state persecution. It doesn't protect you from public backlash.
"You do not have the right to not be offended by the free speech of others....."!

Somebody is ALWAYS "offended" by SOMETHING!

Explain to us why using terms like, deaf, blind, handicapped etc. are "offensive" words.

Let me also point pout hypocrisy of many on the left.

Look at at all the name calling from the left on this forum.

Some can't enter a post without insults.

THEY whine a cry cry about "offensive" flags, statues, etc. but use it ALL the time themselves.

One of the BIGGEST complainers is the NAACP. (which is where I think you are coming from)

Yet, they have NOT changed THEIR name, The National Association for the Advancement of COLORED People.

The DEMAND and complain about others so much, and yet ignore their own name.

Why don't THEY set the example?

IMO, this forum is run b y libs.

Their system *'s out the "N" word but does NOT * out words like "teabagger" when it was used as an insult a while back.

Why the double stanford?

Old 01-15-2018, 06:09 AM

7,808 posts, read 6,386,331 times
Most of the time people aren't really offended by the stupid things they complain about. They're just doing it for attention and to bully others. Giving into them will just cause them to go on an even bigger power trip.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:10 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
When a black person uses the n word another black will know he is not racist against blacks. A white person does..the context is different. There is a horrid history of racism in this country...a belief system many whites still hold too. Many of these whites go to great lengths to conceal the fact that they hold these beliefs, so blacks are never really sure. Best to not go there and not use the word.
I am from Appalachia. We often are the targets of extreme prejudice ourselves...I can tell you some real stories on that score, as can most people from that region. Another Appalachian jokes around and uses a term like "hick" I am not threatened by it. A non Appalachian does it and I immediately have to size up whether or not I have a troublemaker on my hands.
It is an easy phenomenon to easy to understand, really. Basic psychology.
"When a black person uses the n word another black will know he is not racist against blacks. A white person does..the context is different"

Herein is one of the problems.

ASSUMING what OTHERS THINK.

I have told my personal story before (and have been called liar by some)

Bottom line, I do NOT agree with your premise.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:35 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,524,919 times
Being against “political correct” speech essentially means, “I don’t care about how others are effected by my words” and legitimizes the expression of hate, bigotry, racism, misogonony, etc. The idea that I “should” say whatever I feel, in whatever context I choose, is celebrated as “telling it like it is”. For those of us who were taught civility and treating others with respect, the opposition to “PC” is nothing more than a display of ignorance and self-righteousness, at the expense of self respect. It’s easy to spout out whatever negative, angry thoughts you are having without worry about how it will be received. But, an intelligent person thinks before she speaks, understanding that words do have power and, that how thoughts and opinions are conveyed are just as important as what those thoughts and opinions are. Civility and logic are sorely lacking in today’s discourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies