Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:37 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,558,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Apparently you don't understand what the term "protected class" means, and I've probably explained it a million times on here. I'll give you a hint: Anyone and everyone is a protected class, if they're targeted or discriminated against for their race/religion/orientation/etc. And yes, that includes white Christians too. Seriously, am I the ONLY person in the US who actually understands that law?
We are all to be treated equally before the law, nobody gets more protection than another, which means hate crimes are discriminatory and unConstitutional.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:40 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,511,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I know a Muslim lady married to a non-Muslim, he keeps bacon in their fridge. She does not seem to be offended by it.
My girlfriend's father was raised a Syrian Muslim, and while he's far from devout at this point(he doesn't worry about Ramadan), he still doesn't eat bacon as part of his culture--but he doesn't mind if others eat it around him. But I know plenty of Jews who are the same way--they still don't eat pork, yet they're the type of Jews who only celebrate the big holidays.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:47 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
People should not go where they are unwanted.
The Muslims have as much a right to be here as any other American. And they have to right to worship, and observe their religion.

Just remember, the Indians didn't want us here either.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:50 PM

30,306 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
We are all to be treated equally before the law, nobody gets more protection than another, which means hate crimes are discriminatory and unConstitutional.
Read my post again... nobody gets more protection than another, as EVERYONE (again EVERYONE) is equally protected by anti-discrimination laws. Now if you have a problem with hate crime designations in general, I can understand that - but for the last time, nobody is given more/special protection over anyone else. If a white Christian is attacked for being white and/or Christian, they would receive the same protection as a black homosexual. Period.

Guess I really am the only one who understands these laws, huh?

Old 08-21-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I realize Muslims are not supposed to eat bacon but, is raw bacon on the ground really going to offend anyone?
Apparently so. It's not the presence of bacon itself, it was the deliberate desecration of a site where Ramadan was being celebrated... or do you think this was just a well-timed litterbug?

Quote:
If this was a hate crime what was Pisss Christ?
Artwork to some, offensive to others - but a hate crime? Not really, considering no individuals or institutions were targeted. If I write in my diary about hating a certain group, am I committing a hate crime? Art is subjective, and nobody was forced to view (or had it forced upon their home/business/etc).

Quote:
I am sorry, you do not have the right not to be offended.
I'm offended by the overuse of this shallow argument, LOL.

But seriously, this isn't about protecting somebody from being offended... it's about protecting people from bigotry, targeted hate, and deliberate "dirtying" of a religious celebration. Somehow I bet the "defenders" here would feel differently, if somebody placed "**** Christ" in the hall of your church on Good Friday.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:59 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,344,365 times
Default Bacon probed as hate crime

How can anyone hate bacon? LOL really bacon can be a hate crime? People need to get over this crap.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I know a Muslim lady married to a non-Muslim, he keeps bacon in their fridge. She does not seem to be offended by it.
Good for her, but does she represent ALL Muslims? I know many who are offended by the presence of pork, and I'm a Reform Jew who doesn't like it in my kitchen either. I've had a number of non-Jewish roommates over the years, and didn't stop them from keeping pork in the fridge... but I did have a strict "no pork" rule if they ever used my kitchen utensils/cookware. Use your own pots & plates if you wanna eat that stuff!

P.S. The mere fact that your friend is married to a non-Muslim implies she isn't highly religious. No?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:04 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Bacon scattered at NY Ramadan celebration probed as hate crime - U.S. News

Pieces of uncooked bacon were scattered at a New York field where Muslims gathered to celebrate the end of Ramadan – an incident police are investigating it as a hate crime, authorities said Monday.
Organizers found the bacon on a section of the John D'Amato Field, in New Dorp, Staten Island, where about 1,500 people gathered Sunday to celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr, the Muslim holiday marking the end of dawn-to-sunset fasting during Ramadan.

http://69.89.31.202/~gourmeu8/formerchef/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/cooked-bacon.jpg

LOL!!!!!

I don't care who you are... That's funny.

A hate crime, pft.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
How can anyone hate bacon?
Really? Guess you don't hang out with too many Jews or Muslims... I can't even stand the SMELL of it, let alone want it anywhere near my tastebuds. Blech.

Quote:
LOL really bacon can be a hate crime? People need to get over this crap.
It does sound a bit silly, but again I doubt you'd say the same if your religious ceremony were desecrated... it's not "crap" to those with strong beliefs, especially when the religion in question is so often targeted & hated by Americans. That would make anyone defensive, as I know from personal experience (being a member of the other most-hated faith).

Old 08-21-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
LOL!!!!!

I don't care who you are... That's funny.

A hate crime, pft.
And we wonder why Muslims feel unwelcomed in this country? Seriously, you all need to grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.