Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 07:30 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Yeh I did. So it's just a "hate crime" without any reference to penal code? Maybe my legalese is slacking, but I thought hate crime insinuated\ a motivating force behind an actual crime. So if I kill someone, but it's because they're <enter grouping here>, it becomes a hate crime.
IF you burn a cross in the yard of a black family, it's more than just littering.
If you draw swasticas on a jewish families garage it's more than just vandalism.

and so on and so forth....

I would highly suggest that you go check out the FBI hate crime stats, you might be surprised to see that minorities are charged with them quite frequently and it's not just a punishment for "white guys".

Old 08-22-2012, 07:32 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
It was jerk thing to do but it was a prank and there's no harm done. Devoting any time or effort into this is beyond stupid. There are plenty of real crimes that need solving, guys.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:34 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Yeh I did. So it's just a "hate crime" without any reference to penal code? Maybe my legalese is slacking, but I thought hate crime insinuated\ a motivating force behind an actual crime. So if I kill someone, but it's because they're <enter grouping here>, it becomes a hate crime.
No pun intended, but your last sentence is baloney.

Do you really think there was NO hateful motivation behind dropping bacon at a Ramadan celebration site? Next thing you'll try to convince us the KKK was simply having BBQs on that neighbor's lawn, who just happened to be Black. Hate crimes are all about motivation, which is what (the cops believe) turned this from a simple littering crime to an ethnically-motivated one. So yes, your legalese is slacking!

Old 08-22-2012, 07:36 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
The insanity never stops. Some bacon falls off somebody's mcmuffin and a hate crime investigation takes place yet a guy in Ft. Hood screaming alla akbar and shooting twelve people is considered workplace violence.

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- It's being investigated as a hate crime -- someone scattered pieces of bacon over the New Dorp Beach field where the borough's Muslim community celebrated the end of Ramadan Sunday morning. But that act of desecration failed to ruin what organizers described as a successful celebration -- about 1,500 worshipers gathered at the John D'Amato Field at New Dorp Lane and Cedar Grove Avenue, unaware of the early morning police investigation that preceded the ceremony.

NYPD probing a possible bias crime that could have marred Ramadan celebration on Staten Island | SILive.com
What's the crime? Littering? C'mon don't you have to have an actual crime first and then say that it was aimed at people because of who they are to make it a hate crime? Hurting a group of people's feelings is not a crime or husbands would be in big trouble. I see the person or people getting off.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
If somebody finding some bacon laying in a field next door to your celebration ruins it then you have something very wrong with you. I wonder what would happen if say a little container of bacon bits fell out of somebody's shopping bag as they walked by on the way home? Probably the bomb unit would be called out.
Exactly. You don't see Jewish people going into an insane rage because someone dropped a piece of bacon out of his BLT.

I can see it now -- there will be laws forbidding pork to everyone because the Muslims are afraid their god won't like them if they ever see any hint of pork products.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
It was jerk thing to do but it was a prank and there's no harm done. Devoting any time or effort into this is beyond stupid. There are plenty of real crimes that need solving, guys.
When my synagogue was vandalized with swastikas on Yom Kippur, you may have thought the same... but I assure you, there is plenty of "harm done" when you're victimized in this manner. It may have just been a prank, but I'm pretty sure these people were hurt by it.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Exactly. You don't see Jewish people going into an insane rage because someone dropped a piece of bacon out of his BLT.

I can see it now -- there will be laws forbidding pork to everyone because the Muslims are afraid their god won't like them if they ever see any hint of pork products.
Oh please... I highly doubt they just accidentally "dropped" the bacon at a Ramadan celebration, and nobody is calling for a nationwide ban on bacon! And yes, I would go into a rage if somebody intentionally desecrated one of my Jewish celebrations.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It's just bacon, people need to get a life, nobody is making them eat it and it's no different than an offensive sign, Hate crime? No way, it's childish.
True -- if the bacon was just left on the ground, it wasn't as though someone was trying to trick them into eating it so what is the big deal?

And it sounds like Muslims want to go beserck no matter how the pork ended up there, if someone accidently dropped a piece of bacon from his BLT, isn't it just as bad? If they want their Sharia purity, they need to consider relocating back to one of their Islamic paradises because here in this country, they're going to be surrounded by infidels who might somehow expose them to molecules of pork. What happens if a pizza delivery drives past a mosque -- filled with pepperoni and sausage pizzas?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oh please... I highly doubt they just accidentally "dropped" the bacon at a Ramadan celebration, and nobody is calling for a nationwide ban on bacon! And yes, I would go into a rage if somebody intentionally desecrated one of my Jewish celebrations.
Bacon is bacon. Wouldn't the Muslim have to freak out over an accidentally dropped piece of bacon? It's the bacon that defiled the holy piece of public property. They have extreme superstitions about pork -- not just accidental pork. They have extreme superstitions about dogs also, what would happen if someone had been out walking a dog in that field?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:55 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,111,637 times
who threw that ham at me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies