Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:52 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
You're not getting it. The Dems are the ones claiming that the rich "don't pay their fair share" well then let them pay extra. They are free to write an extra check any time they want to.
What? And continue to let the rich republi-thugs continue to not pay THEIR fair share?

That's a really twisted way of looking at things.

Penis envy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 08:55 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
What? And continue to let the rich republi-thugs continue to not pay THEIR fair share?

That's a really twisted way of looking at things.

Penis envy.
Who says they are not paying their fair share? The Dems!!! Oh yes let's trust them.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Who says they are not paying their fair share? The Dems!!! Oh yes let's trust them.
Oh, yes, because someone who pays 13% taxes (or so he says - we don't know if he even pays that much), and who keeps his money in off shore accounts to avoid paying taxes on it here, and who refuses to release his tax returns because he is hiding something HUGE, is certainly someone to be trusted.

Pathetic.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Oh, yes, because someone who pays 13% taxes (or so he says - we don't know if he even pays that much), and who keeps his money in off shore accounts to avoid paying taxes on it here, and who refuses to release his tax returns because he is hiding something HUGE, is certainly someone to be trusted.

Pathetic.

We know that because he has released two years of returns and that rate is consistent with not only those returns but also the tax rates for capital gains in effect during the period in question. The most recent year was an estimate because rich people file extensions. His return is hundreds of pages. You file a 1040EZ. He hires KPMG and basically tells them to pay every dime he owes and not a penny more. He is not a tax attorney or a CPA - they are. They have teams of guys who work on returns like his and when they get done they present him a return as thick as a phone book and say "sign here". He has no more idea what he is signing than your average subprime mortgage borrower did in 2006. He asks the partner to ensure him that everything is legal and he scribbles his name. His wife scribbles her, and they all go to a nice lunch. They grumble about how he pays millions in taxes and guys like you still want more. That happens in September or October of every year, and in January they start the process all over again.

Offshore accounts are a logical choice for lots of people. They still have to pay taxes. By your logic all Subaru and Prius drivers have "invested" in Japan. If he hadn't paid taxes the IRS would have nailed him. There are leaks from the Obama camp (those kids just can't keep a secret!) that the Obama admin has already reviewed his returns. You and I know if there was anything illegal in there it would have been leaked and/or acted upon.

Just because somebody chooses not to release private information doesn't mean he's done something illegal. I have no idea what's in your tax return. You must be hiding something HUGE.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
We know that because he has released two years of returns
No.......he has NOT released two years of returns.

Quote:
Just before the Iowa caucus last December, Mitt told MSNBC, “I don’t intend to release the tax returns. I don’t,†but finally, on January 24, 2012—after intense goading by fellow Republican candidates Newt Gingrich and Rick Perry—he released his 2010 tax return and an estimate for 2011.
Quote:

Just because somebody chooses not to release private information doesn't mean he's done something illegal. I have no idea what's in your tax return. You must be hiding something HUGE.
I'm not running for president.

Quote:
The media soon noticed Romney’s familiarity with foreign tax havens. A $3 million Swiss bank account appeared in the 2010 returns, then winked out of existence in 2011 after the trustee closed it, as if to remind us of George Romney’s warning that one or two tax returns can provide a misleading picture. Ed Kleinbard, a professor of tax law at the University of Southern California, says the Swiss account “has political but not tax-policy resonance,†since it—like many other Romney investments—constituted a bet against the U.S. dollar, an odd thing for a presidential candidate to do.
Investigation: Mitt Romney’s Offshore Accounts, Tax Loopholes, and Mysterious I.R.A. | Vanity Fair

This is a really interesting and eye-opening article that is worth the read - not that I think it will change the minds of the rabid and blind Romney defenders/supporters here.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
No.......he has NOT released two years of returns.

I'm not running for president.

Investigation: Mitt Romney’s Offshore Accounts, Tax Loopholes, and Mysterious I.R.A. | Vanity Fair

This is a really interesting and eye-opening article that is worth the read - not that I think it will change the minds of the rabid and blind Romney defenders/supporters here.
He filed an extension. The extension requires him to pay his expected tax liability in April.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:12 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times
Quote:

Pathetic.

LOL you really have the party line down. Let me tell you something if he had not paid taxes for the last 10 years like dumbass Reid claims the IRS would have been all over him AND he would have to be stupid to run for president knowing they will look at every little thing. Now to the 13% you speak of. That is the current rate for capital gains taxes NOT income taxes, 2 very different things. I know because I have capital gains and it is a different tax then what I pay for our income. People as rich as Romney get the majority of their income from capital gains hence the 13%. If Romney draws a pay check he would be taxed on that income also. Next there is nothing wrong with keeping money in an offshore account it does not mean you don't pay taxes on it. You may save taxes on interest but the second you withdraw it, it become income and you are taxed on it.

Perhaps you should do some research instead of just believing what you are told by people who have an clearly just want to make wealthy people look bad. Oh and please don't forget to send the outrage you have to the rich movie stars and athletes and all those liberal 1%.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:09 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Define "fair share" and post proof that the rich aren't paying it.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:33 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
You know who agrees with you that Barack Obama's taxes should be raised: Barack Obama.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:58 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
How did we find out about Romneys secret accounts?

Quote:

Pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies