Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 01:02 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,348,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

Not everyone believes in your god or any god..... and in this country
you do not have the right to force your religious beliefs on others.....too bad for you.

No, it's too bad for the country whose God is not the Lord God of Israel,
the country that rebels against God and prefers the evil laws of men.

Such a country is destined or destruction.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 01:08 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
NO and I mean HELL NO.

It's MY body and any decisions should be between ME and MY doctor. It's insulting that anyone thinks they should be making MY healthcare decisions, I just wonder how these anti-abortion trolls would feel about their decision making being legislated. Hmmm lets see, OK anytime you need a physical you have to have a 9" tool shoved up your behind, want a perscription...OH you've got to have additional unecessary testing just to make sure you really want or need it.

Don't want an abortion...don't have one..real simple here. Leave me and any woman alone, it should always be a decision between a woman and her doctor and NO ONE ELSE.

Barry Goldwater:

"Today’s so-called ‘conservatives’ don’t even know what the word means. They think I’ve turned liberal because I believe a woman has a right to an abortion. That’s a decision that’s up to the pregnant woman, not up to the pope or some do-gooders or the Religious Right. It’s not a conservative issue at all.”
RIGHT. If you don't agree with your doctor or want a 2nd opinion on your reproductive situation, you should have the freedom to do that. If politicians, hardly any who are actual doctors, have their say you would be robbed of getting much of any kind of reproductive related help from your doctor.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:11 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
Criminalizing doesn't stop a thing. Look at the miserable failure of the drug enforcement policies/laws or even of prohibition. It just puts people in prisons that are already overcrowded. The more you tell people they can't do something, the more they will do it. Its very human and especially so in a people that prides itself in giving authority the finger.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:17 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
And that means no abortions for any reason at all.
Why are Romney/Ryan such wimps when it comes to abortion, they say they are against it but do not say they would push the US Supreme court to over turn the right of women to have abortions.
Women would have abortions out of the USA, easy answer, check all women, girls, of child bearing age before allowing them out of the country.

It would upset women voters, so what comes first stopping abortion completely or having more women voting for the GOP ?
I don't support a woman's right to choose murder.

But what does it have to do with the President? Any President?

Old 08-21-2012, 01:21 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I agree. I think that's the most peaceful way to deal with contentious issues such as abortion and same-sex marriage.
States shouldn't be voting on civil rights.
I have a right to the governance of my own body.
Not the state.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
What would be the point of a single state ban if it did nothing to prevent women from getting abortions elsewhere? A ban on only abortion procedures performed inside the state would only impact the women that couldn't travel due to cost or other circumstances.

Do pro-lifers want to prevent abortions or just score political points?
I suggest the above poster better study the US Constitution and the 10th Amendment. The point is that all power that is not specifically enumerated to the federal government via the US Constitution remains with the states and with the people, respectively. People have the ability to vote with their feet and move to states that most align with their political, economic, or religious views. If a women chooses to cross a state line to get an abortion in a state where it is legal, that is her choice. Choices have consequences (something those wanting casual abortion on demand fail to acknolwedge to begin with). Those consequences too would be up to the individual states to legislate.

Life is the foundation upon which the liberties of this country were founded. It is an unaleinable right.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Chile is a good example that people probably aren't aware of.

I feel that this is a site that might interest and surprise a few people: abortioninireland.org
Yeah, the higher abortion rates in countries where it is banned strongly influenced me to arrive to my belief that abortion in the United States should not be banned. What the government tries to ban, it tends to only lose control over it. On the other hand, the abortion rate may be near zero in strict Islamic countries, but most Americans wouldn't want to live in such countries, assuming any of them would be allowed to.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-21-2012 at 01:45 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There are indeed many conservative women who oppose it with their words, but when they need to decide whether or not keep a baby themselves, then the opinions go out the window. Often time the conservative women abort when the pregnancy is a 'surprise', and they abort 90% of the time when they find out the baby has abnormalities like downs syndrome.

To me that is extremely hypocritical. It sure seems they use the freedom to choose when it concerns themselves, but they are willing to deny the choice from others. Now they want the government to decide for all, including them. So be it, but will these conservative women take a little "vacation" when they find out their baby has Downs Syndrome. Time will tell.
So I can't imagine the point behind politicians wanting to ban abortion unless it brings out in big numbers the women you refer to, along with the men who agree with them, to vote for them. So I also see men who are against abortion agreeing with the conservative women who they gave an unwanted pregnancy to, assuming they're still sticking around.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I suggest the above poster better study the US Constitution and the 10th Amendment. The point is that all power that is not specifically enumerated to the federal government via the US Constitution remains with the states and with the people, respectively. People have the ability to vote with their feet and move to states that most align with their political, economic, or religious views. If a women chooses to cross a state line to get an abortion in a state where it is legal, that is her choice. Choices have consequences (something those wanting casual abortion on demand fail to acknolwedge to begin with). Those consequences too would be up to the individual states to legislate.

Life is the foundation upon which the liberties of this country were founded. It is an unaleinable right.
Again, what is the point of a single state ban if the women are free at any time to leave the state, get an abortion and then return to their home state? It would do nothing to reduce the number of abortions, so what real purpose would it serve?

Old 08-21-2012, 01:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Default Reading comprehension problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Again what is the point of a single state ban if the women are free at any time to leave the state, get an abortion and then return to their home state? It would do nothing to reduce the number of abortions, so what real purpose would it serve?
Suggest you re-read.

Governmental powers must remain where enumerated Constitutionally. It would seem your real question is why abide by the US Constitution. If you don't know that answer then you won't be able to comprehend anything I post.

At least Ron Paul could clearly articulate his stance on abortion and why. Not so with Progressive RINOs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies