U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:48 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,075,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
If Obama wins the election and becomes a lame duck president, what specific dangers are our rights as individuals to keep and bear arms in? While I don't believe we are in any immediate dangers of losing our right or having our arms confiscated, exactly how much damage could he really do? I don't believe that he alone, as a president, can do anything, and a lot of it depends on the direction the rest of the electon goes as in the majority in the House and senate. I realize a lot of people do fall for that kind of hype, propagated generally by backers of the GOP. Could I be wrong? As a strong supporter of the second amendment, what specifically should I know about Obama before I cast my vote, and why is it that so many supporters of the 2A oppose him with such vigor?
Look at all the things he has done through Executive Order that were trips around the Congress and got by with and think what he would argue if the UN ever gets around to sending that Small Arms Treaty to our Senate. The only way around that becoming law here is the fact that there aren't enough Senators to approve it. It takes 67 or them for Treaties. Of course, maybe we need to make sure they don't do anything before January 3, 2013. In other words elect as many Republican Senators (not RINOs) as possible this time around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The same things you'd want to know about any other candidate. Damn, he's been in office for close to 4 years. You haven't figured it out yet?
He has been pandering and campaigning for this second term since the Coronation. Who knows how far he might go if re-elected?

Old 08-21-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
I dont trust any president who has the luxury of not needing to be reelected.
Me too, especially after what he told Medvedev in the open mike deal about having more freedom after the re-election.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Again, federal law is not state law.

States have been banning and doing things for years that politicians don't support on a federal level.

Again, to quote Obama, in 2008 "I will not take away your shot gun, your hunting rifle, your handguns...."

Etc.....

And he hasn't made a move as President to do any of those things. Or to ban anything.

So whats your argument?
Leaners all say the same thing, "He hasn't done anything up to now so just relax". Leaners seem to forget that he has been less than relaxed himself since he has been campaigning so hard for the last 3 years.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:57 PM

10,963 posts, read 8,021,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
If Obama wins the election and becomes a lame duck president, what specific dangers are our rights as individuals to keep and bear arms in? While I don't believe we are in any immediate dangers of losing our right or having our arms confiscated, exactly how much damage could he really do? I don't believe that he alone, as a president, can do anything, and a lot of it depends on the direction the rest of the electon goes as in the majority in the House and senate. I realize a lot of people do fall for that kind of hype, propagated generally by backers of the GOP. Could I be wrong? As a strong supporter of the second amendment, what specifically should I know about Obama before I cast my vote, and why is it that so many supporters of the 2A oppose him with such vigor?
Don't worry you will be able to continue your constitutionally protected gun fetish.

It's amazing the amount of energy that people put into worrying about something that has never come close to happening.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:58 PM

23,931 posts, read 32,597,608 times
People asked these same questions 4 years ago.

IIRC, nothing happened to the second amendment. And nothing will.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
This is true, but between him and mitt romney, who has the worse record on gun control?
I always wonder about that. Do you remember what he told that group of leaners in San Francisco about those hill billies in Pennsylvania who always retreat to their God and guns. I wonder just what he actually meant by that.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
He is saying because its a federal protection under the second amendment that states can't make those laws.

I would invite the poster to watch any old west movie, or read any accurate history account of towns, banning firearms.

And states try and pass laws that are unconstitutional often. Hell, some states want to outlaw abortion by outlawing all forms of birth control. But thats not in line with federal law by the posters definition of the constitution.

Lots of politicians do things in local elections and governments that aren't ok for the federal government to do. Remember, the Supreme court said its ok for states and cities to ban firearms of certain types. Obama did no differently.

But this is selective history, not actual that they are using.
Which part of our Constitution says anything about abortion? I guess I have missed that part all these years of reading it.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:03 PM

7,215 posts, read 7,864,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
People asked these same questions 4 years ago.

IIRC, nothing happened to the second amendment. And nothing will.
I've said it many times, but I remember back when Clinton was president, all the gun nuts were sure he'd be sending men in black to seize their guns. Don't recall that one ever happening either.

I think the gun nuts secretly hope some sweeping anti-gun legislation does get passed, so they can fulfill their fantasies of shooting and killing cops and government agents all in the name of freedom for America.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:03 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,039,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
why do people focus on obama and guns.

romney was the one who banned assault weapons in his state.
Obama-Romney are both big statist gun-banners. This administration was willing to illegally traffik guns to known felons and drug cartel members without tracing them in order to make the 90% lie they launched true and thereby subvert the 2nd Amendment. That is why people focus on Obama and gun control (as well as his past statements and history with the Joyce Foundation). However, they would also do well to remember Romney signed anti-2A legislation as Governor just days prior to the Clinton AWB expiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or