Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The argument is certainly valid. Back in 08' after he was elected, he couldn't do anything that might sway middle Americas vote aganst him if he wanted a second term. If he gets re-elected, what has he to lose?
This is true, but between him and mitt romney, who has the worse record on gun control?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 10:22 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When I say total record I mean going back to what he supported over his career whether it was passed as legislation or not. It's quite clear he's anti gun . If you take the statements before and after the DC decision as an example:

In one statement he supports our constitutional right as individuals and then supports government restrictions.
LOCAL government restrictions. Like "state rights," and allowing states to make their own laws? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what Republicans want these days?

Old 08-21-2012, 10:23 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
LOCAL government restrictions. Like "state rights," and allowing states to make their own laws? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what Republicans want these days?

I sure as hell do.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
He is saying because its a federal protection under the second amendment that states can't make those laws.

I would invite the poster to watch any old west movie, or read any accurate history account of towns, banning firearms.

And states try and pass laws that are unconstitutional often. Hell, some states want to outlaw abortion by outlawing all forms of birth control. But thats not in line with federal law by the posters definition of the constitution.

Lots of politicians do things in local elections and governments that aren't ok for the federal government to do. Remember, the Supreme court said its ok for states and cities to ban firearms of certain types. Obama did no differently.

But this is selective history, not actual that they are using.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:37 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Less government at all levels in particular the federal level, individual rights guaranteed in the constitution are paramount no matter what level of government. It doesn't get any more local than the individual.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:43 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Hell, some states want to outlaw abortion by outlawing all forms of birth control. But thats not in line with federal law by the posters definition of the constitution.
I dare you to find anything in the 10K plus posts I've made that would support your assertion.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:48 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Obama has a better record on guns then George W. Bush does since taking Presidential office.

I think the 2nd amendment will be just fine.
And Obama has been the best gun sales man of the 21st century.

I am not worried about anything he can do, or anything he thinks he can do.

The gun is mightier than the pen after all.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The only "Gun Grabber" on the current tickets is Mr. Mitt Romney. He was instrumental in passing the "assault weapon" ban when he was governor of Massachusetts.

Wow- a RW gun grabber. How neat.
Yup that's right Greg..... I am not voting for Romney nor Obama.

I see code instead of the regular quote, but i didn't change anything you said.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:00 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
This is true, but between him and mitt romney, who has the worse record on gun control?
They`ve both confiscated the same number of guns...Zero.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:44 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
The two rights that will be most beaten like the proverbial dead horse in this campaign season, the right to bear arms and the right to an abortion, are the two safest.

That there is irony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies