U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 01:46 PM

21,331 posts, read 11,538,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Which would be a motivation to increase laws like drug laws to increase the labor pool. That doesn't help freedom in the long run. Think those profiting would want to lessen laws like the drug war when they stand to get rich off it?
Sure would make the streets cleaner and safer. I think every single one of them should be out busting their butt at least 8'hours a day. There are many projects that would benefit from free labor.

All you have to do to avoid being thrown in a labor gang for life is not break the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 01:54 PM

11,369 posts, read 18,570,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
All you have to do to avoid being thrown in a labor gang for life is not break the law.

I don't believe some of these laws like the war on drugs for example specially Marijuana are in step with the liberty that America constantly touts it has the most of in the world. Add a chance to profit from these laws and some will seek to enact more or not repeal some already out.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:17 PM

17,850 posts, read 20,185,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
The idea farm workers are underpaid, that they earn $7.00/day which isn't enough to pay for the gasoline to get them to the job, is rubbish. In Georgia the average farm worker around Vidalia earns $400 to $500 per week. While it is more than $7.00/day I think it should be closer to $200/day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Minimum wage in California is $8.00/hour. If the farmers feel that's too high, they can always make their case to the California Assembly and Senate, and to Governor Moonbeam.

Good luck with that.

But they might even have a tough time getting people to pick lettuce, strawberries, tomatoes etc. if they offer $8.00/hr. To my knowledge, no farmer has ever tried offering that. But the work is hard, backbreaking, in a hot sun. Farmers might have to offer more to get people to work that hard, under fairly brutal conditions.
Apparently neither of you read the article. The California farmers are paying $9.25/hour or $5/bucket, which ever is greater, for pepper pickers. Semi-skilled labor, such as truck drivers, are getting paid between $12-$18/hour. Pickers work from sun up until sun down, anywhere from 10 to 12 hours every day, usually six days per week. That is $2,220 per month (gross) at a minimum, not including overtime.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:19 PM

3,203 posts, read 3,340,138 times
Why don't the farmers pay migrant workers a fair wage.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Why don't the farmers pay migrant workers a fair wage.
They are.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:37 PM

10,946 posts, read 8,238,323 times
Crops being left to rot in the fields due to labor shortage in CA

Looks like we found the jobs that illegals will not do....

Old 08-21-2012, 08:50 PM

36,461 posts, read 16,259,068 times
I would just like to point out that no one including illegal immigrants are wiling to make a career out of picking crops so Americans shouldn't be demonized for not doing so either. It is back breaking work out in the sun all day. Who wants to end up a cripple with skin cancer after a few years?

The solution is to mechanize more.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:09 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,628,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If I was a prisoner, I would certainly want to be doing something useful with my time. Get out in the fresh air, onto a farm -- that would have to be a lot better than laying around inside 4 walls all day. It would remind me of my childhood and youth when I picked fruit and did farm work. It was fun.
5) They use conditioning exercises to get strong and ripped. Stuck in their cells they’ve got nothing but time for burpees and other bodyweight exercises that get the heart pumping and the fat melting. Endless pushups, hand-stand pushups, sit-ups, dips, and pull-ups will create big, broad shoulders, huge chest, thick arms, 6 pack abs, wide back, and a v-taper that the most dedicated of gym rats would be jealous of.

So much for hard labor for their crime!!!

Old 08-21-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I would just like to point out that no one including illegal immigrants are wiling to make a career out of picking crops so Americans shouldn't be demonized for not doing so either. It is back breaking work out in the sun all day. Who wants to end up a cripple with skin cancer after a few years?

The solution is to mechanize more.
Actually, no one who has marketable skills will make a career of menial labor. Agricultural workers have no marketable skills, regardless of whether they are US citizens or not. That is why mostly kids 16 years old and younger do this kind of work.

It is not difficult labor, but the hours are long and the season is short. I worked in the fields for three years in both California and Nebraska when I was 14, 15, and 16 years old. I can assure you I am not crippled with "skin cancer," and it has been more than a few years.

The job also paid considerably better than flipping burgers or stuffing tacos, which is why I took the job in the first place.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:29 PM

47,576 posts, read 60,518,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
And even if ALL states crack down on illegal aliens, and/or change their laws and let the market dictate wages instead of taking advantage of illegal aliens who don't dare fight back...

....the farmers will still have to pass their increased labor costs on to their customers (that's you and me).

Will you still buy the same amount of lettuce and strawberries as you did last year, if the price suddenly jumps by 50% or 100%?
You've got to be kidding. There is no shortage of illegals in California. The immigration laws are not being enforced -- in fact Obama is giving out 2 million new work visas to the illegals.

Something is going wrong with the illegals - with 20-30 million illegals in this country, there should be no problems at all finding cheap labor when farming jobs number fewer than 800,000.

Agricultural Workers : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Number of jobs 2010 -- 757,900
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies