U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:14 AM

25,235 posts, read 14,048,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Exactly, our current system is corrupt. go ahead libs, wrtie tax increases, because politicians will be along soon enough to insert more loopholes to counter the tax increases. Like tax loopholes for wealthy land owners, so they can buy a horse, call their 100 acre estate "a ranch" and write off tens of thousands in new taxes.

Whatever. The current system gives the liberal whiners something to whine about, while we stick with their corrupt and overly complicated tax code.
You claim that Liberls are against a Flat or Federal Consumption (Sales) Tax, yet every discussion on this board and those I have with both conservatives and liberals in the real world the vast majority of them express that they would be for sch a change to the system. Seems like you are talking to different set of liberals than I run into.
Sad thing is Dubya was once asked if he would be such a tax and he said he would seriously consider supporting one if one were presented to him, yet neither the House or Senate ever sent such a Bill to him to sign, that goes for when both Parties controlled Congress. It sure would have changed his Legacy into a positive one had it happened. Ever wonder why no one in Congress ever pushes for such a change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 10:19 AM

66,486 posts, read 30,325,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
From the economist:

Income taxes only account for ~1/4th of total government revenue
False. Someone's lying to you.
Quote:

Individual income taxes and payroll taxes accounted for 82 percent of all federal revenues in fiscal year 2010.
What are the federal government's sources of revenue?

42% is MUCH larger than 1/4th.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 AM

7,248 posts, read 6,667,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The services and benefits received from local, state, and federal governments are anything BUT "flat".

AND... from the Chairman of the Economics Department at Harvard University... Greg Mankiw's Blog: The Progressivity of Taxes and Transfers

CBO report cited:
CBO | The Distribution of Household Income and Federal Taxes, 2008 and 2009

Our country's tax structure, in which the majority are now MAKING money off of government transfers, DOESN'T benefit all. It benefits those who are making a profit off of government handouts and getting freebie services, benefits, and infrastructure.
Again, you lie. You, like all right wingers, only count INCOME TAXES when income taxes only make up 27% of all taxes. That you are deliberately ignoring 73% of all taxes paid makes it obvious that you are deliberately lying.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Again, you lie. You, like all right wingers, only count INCOME TAXES when income taxes only make up 27% of all taxes.
Can you not read the chart?

Corporate, excise, and other taxes are accounted for, as well.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:36 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,326 posts, read 14,045,399 times
Quote:
It's become a major talking point among the right wing that supposedly only 50% of the population pays taxes and the other half doesn't pay anything.
your entire post is killed with you opening statment....the 'rightwing' statement is true...50% of american FEDERAL INCOME TAX FILERS, play nothing in federal income tax

fact 50% of all FEDERAL TAX FILERS have a near zero tax libility

here is one for you

I earn 60K....pay 12k in LOCAL PROPERTY TAXES...approx 20%....pay NOTHING in federal income or payroll tax(I am part of that 50%)....why becuase I get FEDERAL CREDIT for taxes paid ELSEWHERE

signed workingclasshero..liberal thread killer

Last edited by workingclasshero; 08-21-2012 at 10:49 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 10:37 AM

4,260 posts, read 2,975,288 times
12k wow, I thought I was getting abused at $6500 . And I dont pay a sales or state income tax.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
Quote:
We need more factually based threads like this one: -wealth-inequality-
and yet income inequity is growing in 99% of the industrialized countries...to include some of the more 'socialized' counties...like norway and france

Old 08-21-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Again, you lie. You, like all right wingers, only count INCOME TAXES when income taxes only make up 27% of all taxes.
The Obama White House OMB claims Individual Income Tax is 42% of the government's total revenue.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Again, completely wrong. Learn the difference between the marginal tax rate and the effective tax rate because virtually no one in the fortune 500 pays any net taxes.
out right lie

they pay and pay quite a bit...not only to the USA..but to other countries too

for example:

2010 exxon..... Before taxes, XOM recorded a profit of $34.8 billion. They paid $15.1 billion in taxes to foreign countries. The U.S. tax code allows them to deduct that tax bill from what’s due to the IRS. That said, Uncle Sam gets his money in other ways. Including sales taxes and duties, Exxon recorded $7.7 billion in U.S. tax costs last year, and paid even more overseas.

Its grand total in global taxes for the year? A whopping $78.6 billion. The company’s effective income tax rate was a hefty 47%,

Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Again, completely wrong. Learn the difference between the marginal tax rate and the effective tax rate because virtually no one in the fortune 500 pays any net taxes.
OMG!

Prove that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or