U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:21 PM

33,046 posts, read 22,077,624 times

Advertisements

I really like the part where the bottom 20% pay a higher effective state and local tax rate than everybody else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 06:30 PM

33,046 posts, read 22,077,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The Economist also points out that the rich pay more than their fair share of taxes of any type.

So if the rich already pay more than their fair share, who is supposed to pick up the slack?

I honestly do not know whether the rich pay more than their fair share, because I consider everyone's fair share of taxes to be a flat rate on all discretionary income. The rich have lots and lots of discretionary income, burger flippers have little or none, and everyone else has some amount in between.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:52 PM

15,811 posts, read 8,828,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Wow... so the bottom 50% don't pay sales tax? Telecomm taxes? Gas taxes?
Yeah, I must be doing something wrong because I am always paying sales tax.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 PM

15,811 posts, read 8,828,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I have to admit they've tried pretty hard in this thread to ignore the facts. Even though the graphic in the OP clearly says it is talking about total taxes at all levels of government (Federal, State, and local) they spent a whole page of this thread pretending to be obtuse and only posting Federal level tax data. I have to come to the conclusion that they were doing it deliberately just to ignore facts and attempt to derail the thread.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 PM

7,248 posts, read 6,672,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The Economist also points out that the rich pay more than their fair share of taxes of any type.

So if the rich already pay more than their fair share, who is supposed to pick up the slack?

As you can see from this graph from the economist:

The tax rates are pretty darn flat when you look at the entire taxes paid to all levels of government. That has been and continues to be my point. The tax burden simply is not disproportionate as the tax laws stand right now so whither or not to make the tax rates more progressive or not is the topic of a different thread.

One thing is clear though and that is the rich are most certainly not being excessively taxed as the tax laws stand right now.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I honestly do not know whether the rich pay more than their fair share, because I consider everyone's fair share of taxes to be a flat rate on all discretionary income. The rich have lots and lots of discretionary income, burger flippers have little or none, and everyone else has some amount in between.
An excellent point.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:03 PM

66,547 posts, read 30,358,972 times
Quote:
As you can see from this graph from the economist:

The tax rates are pretty darn flat when you look at the entire taxes paid to all levels of government. That has been and continues to be my point. The tax burden simply is not disproportionate as the tax laws stand right now so whither or not to make the tax rates more progressive or not is the topic of a different thread.

One thing is clear though and that is the rich are most certainly not being excessively taxed as the tax laws stand right now.
Indeed the rich are WAY overtaxed when they receive only $0.41 in government services and benefits per dollar of taxes paid while the bottom 20% receives $8.21 in government benefits and services for that same dollar in taxes paid.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:09 PM

That is ONLY Federal level. It does not include state or local level taxes (which are mainly paid by the middle and lower percentages).

Now, I KNOW you're deliberately ignoring facts just because they don't support your ideology. You simply wouldn't continually be making claims like this if you weren't.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:09 PM

10,218 posts, read 6,801,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Indeed the rich are WAY overtaxed when they receive only $0.41 in government services and benefits per dollar of taxes paid while the bottom 20% receives $8.21 in government benefits and services for that same dollar in taxes paid.
You have an odd way at looking at things. So people who can afford to pay more taxes and don't need as many govt services are "WAY overtaxed" compared to those who are the opposite?

Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 PM

66,547 posts, read 30,358,972 times
Quote:
That is ONLY Federal level. It does not include state or local level taxes (which are mainly paid by the middle and lower percentages).
Did you look at the charts? They DO INDEED include local, state, and federal taxes in the blue bars (gray bars are federal only, white bars are state and local only).

See for yourself...

Note that the higher income earners pay IN EXCESS of their share of the income, while lower income earners pay LESS than their share of the income. Local, state, and federal taxes are NOT flat.

And the government benefits received are HEAVILY skewed to the lower income earners. They get a return over 8 times that of the taxes they pay. Higher income earners actually LOSE more than 50 cents on the dollar ...

Quote:
Now, I KNOW you're deliberately ignoring facts just because they don't support your ideology. You simply wouldn't continually be making claims like this if you weren't.
The facts are in the charts I posted. The charts are from a 120+ page report that includes 6.5 pages of listed cited references. The charts INCLUDE all local, state, and federal taxes.

How is it that you don't see that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or