U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2012, 12:39 PM
 
66,559 posts, read 30,370,727 times
Reputation: 8687

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Funny you should mention group projects in school, since it's so often PARENTS who soak up vast amounts of state and local tax dollars.

Is this really where you want to go?
Yes, in fact it is. Look at who PAYS for those state and local services and who TAKES those services without paying their fair share:



The top 40% are overpaying for those services, and the bottom 60% are UNDERpaying.

State and local spending are the white bars in the chart for those of who who've had difficulty reading the charts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2012, 12:50 PM
 
66,559 posts, read 30,370,727 times
Reputation: 8687
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
So all those people are lazy and/or irresponsible, interesting. Again, do you have a number? Can you quantify it?
There are all kinds of reports on welfare, SSDI, etc., fraud. Just a few...

Welfare Fraud Study - Los Angeles Times
DHAweb | Welfare Fraud Factsheet
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CHRG-11...1shrg63828.pdf

There are many more.
Quote:
Hahaha. Sure. The well off and wealthy have it so bad...
You do realize the wealthy have lost both wealth and income share, right? Is the U.S. economy in better shape now after that? Hmmm?

Quote:
Lol. You think merely citing sources and quoting chairman is worthy of anything?
Yes. Citing the facts IS something. Pay attention. You could actually learn something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 12:53 PM
 
Location: ATX-HOU
10,218 posts, read 6,802,619 times
Reputation: 2034
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, in fact it is. Look at who PAYS for those state and local services and who TAKES those services without paying their fair share:



The top 40% are overpaying for those services, and the bottom 60% are UNDERpaying.

State and local spending are the white bars in the chart for those of who who've had difficulty reading the charts.
What's your point? I dont think anyone is arguing that the wealthy pay more. As the most currrent chart shows, not your 2004 chart, and was the point of the thread; as a percentage of ones income, we are paying relatively close to the same. Perhaps you need to find a more current chart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 12:57 PM
 
66,559 posts, read 30,370,727 times
Reputation: 8687
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
What's your point? I dont think anyone is arguing that the wealthy pay more. As the most currrent chart shows, not your 2004 chart, and was the point of the thread; as a percentage of ones income, we are paying relatively close to the same. Perhaps you need to find a more current chart.
I have seen no data that supports that chart. It contradicts the data in the CBO report cited by the Chairman of the Economics Department at Harvard University linked earlier, so I have no choice but to conclude that the chart posted in the OP is biased 'opinion' using fudged data.

Note that there has NEVER been any proof cited that federal income tax comprises 1/4th of government revenue. The poster who started this thread could not provide any proof when repeatedly asked to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 01:02 PM
 
Location: ATX-HOU
10,218 posts, read 6,802,619 times
Reputation: 2034
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There are all kinds of reports on welfare, SSDI, etc., fraud. Just a few...

Welfare Fraud Study - Los Angeles Times
DHAweb | Welfare Fraud Factsheet
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CHRG-11...1shrg63828.pdf

There are many more.
Well give me some more because none of the links listed quantifies the number of lazy and/or irresponsible people like I've asked of you.


Quote:
You do realize the wealthy have lost both wealth and income share, right? Is the U.S. economy in better shape now after that? Hmmm?
Yes I do. And no the economy isn't better. Relevance?

Quote:
Yes. Citing the facts IS something. Pay attention. You could actually learn something.
Again, you need to be able to put the facts together to form together an argument. So far it looks like are linking websites without reading the content of the websites....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 01:07 PM
 
66,559 posts, read 30,370,727 times
Reputation: 8687
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Well give me some more because none of the links listed quantifies the number of lazy and/or irresponsible people like I've asked of you.
You didn't read them.

Quote:
no the economy isn't better.
Exactly. Demonizing the wealthy does not uplift the poor. Did you learn your lesson?
Quote:
Again, you need to be able to put the facts together to form together an argument. So far it looks like are linking websites without reading the content of the websites....
That would be you. Not sure why you're not reading and/or comprehending what you read. Public school graduate? That would explain a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 01:17 PM
 
Location: ATX-HOU
10,218 posts, read 6,802,619 times
Reputation: 2034
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You didn't read them.
Let's see. One link was a FAQ about fraud and how to make a claim... one link was from a 1994 study that I can't open (maybe b/c I'm on a work computer), and the last one was a 100+ page congressional committee study on social security fraud which I'm not going to read due to its length (you can link me to the important parts). So where is the quantifiable data on the number of lazy people?

Quote:
Exactly. Demonizing the wealthy does not uplift the poor. Did you learn your lesson?
Interesting cause and effect. So if I pay homage to the wealthy it will uplife the poor by your logic...

Quote:
That would be you. Not sure why you're not reading and/or comprehending what you read. Public school graduate? That would explain a lot.
Very mature argument. Have you not graduated public school yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 01:23 PM
 
66,559 posts, read 30,370,727 times
Reputation: 8687
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Let's see. One link was a FAQ about fraud and how to make a claim... one link was from a 1994 study that I can't open
No. 1944? No. The links cite statistics.
Quote:
Interesting cause and effect. So if I pay homage to the wealthy it will uplife the poor by your logic...
No. I said demonizing the wealthy does not uplift the poor. The recent shift in income and wealth away from the wealthy proves it. Is the U.S. economy better off now that the wealthy have a lower share of income and wealth? You yourself admitted that no, it is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 01:26 PM
 
Location: ATX-HOU
10,218 posts, read 6,802,619 times
Reputation: 2034
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I have seen no data that supports that chart. It contradicts the data in the CBO report cited by the Chairman of the Economics Department at Harvard University linked earlier, so I have no choice but to conclude that the chart posted in the OP is biased 'opinion' using fudged data.
Link to the CBO report.

Quote:
Note that there has NEVER been any proof cited that federal income tax comprises 1/4th of government revenue. The poster who started this thread could not provide any proof when repeatedly asked to do so.
LOL. You don't even know the point of the OP and yes the poster did provide proof to that side claim, which wasn't the point of the OP. What's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 01:32 PM
 
66,559 posts, read 30,370,727 times
Reputation: 8687
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Link to the CBO report.
I already did here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/25737257-post19.html

Quote:
LOL. You don't even know the point of the OP and yes the poster did provide proof to that side claim, which wasn't the point of the OP.
I know the point. The poster did not provide proof of the point. The poster provided a biased opinion and an unsubstantiated "chart."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top