U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 PM

9,995 posts, read 11,639,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
are there still people who believe the line "I'm with the government and I'm here to help"

You love posting these type shock posts, don't ya?

Well, when fires are raging upslope toward your million dollar home in Colorado, or when hurricane storm surges are threatening your family on the Gulf, or when you are digging out of the rubble after a Californian earth quake, I am sure you will laugh in the face of the people sent to help you. I suspect others might disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 10:02 AM

32,282 posts, read 26,131,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
See that is your problem, selective vision. I blame the Senate for not dealing with the House in a manner that the two can come to a compromise and sitting on Bills until they die, that is not doing the Nations business. As for the House, passing Bills that are so partisan that only an idiot would think the Senate would pass it is also Not doing the Nations business. Our system was built upon compromise between the politcal parties, when that stops the Nation's business is not getting done and the Nations suffers for it. The thing is the Repubs have openly stated that they have no intention of compromising on anything with the Dems, that puts the ball in their court. So we either continue with what we have, or we vote in the Repubs and learn to live with their extremist agenda, or we can vote against them to ensure they do not get more power and possibly even reduce their power, I will go with the last choice.
i understand how congress is supposed to work. bills passed in one house go to the other for debate, alteration, more debate, more alteration, and finally a vote. if it passes then the two houses get together and work to merge the two bills into one that both houses can vote for. the problem is that harry reid has done NOTHING with many of the bills sent to them by the house. i dont care if the senate passes the bills, filibusters them to death, modifies them, as long as they actually DO THEIR JOB. but harry wont even do that.

and by the way, how is it being extremist to try and follow the constitution? to bring responsibility back to government? to cut back on the things government has no business doing?

Old 08-25-2012, 10:30 AM

25,235 posts, read 13,997,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i understand how congress is supposed to work. bills passed in one house go to the other for debate, alteration, more debate, more alteration, and finally a vote. if it passes then the two houses get together and work to merge the two bills into one that both houses can vote for. the problem is that harry reid has done NOTHING with many of the bills sent to them by the house. i dont care if the senate passes the bills, filibusters them to death, modifies them, as long as they actually DO THEIR JOB. but harry wont even do that.

and by the way, how is it being extremist to try and follow the constitution? to bring responsibility back to government? to cut back on the things government has no business doing?
The problem is the House is passing Bills and then saying no compromise, that along with the actions of the Senate are killing this Nation. I would say that every Rep that says "no compromise" should be voted out of office, since in my book they are Traitors.
We are following the Constitution, if you believe something is not Constitutional there is a court that can deal with that. Nothing wrong with responsibility, it is how you want to get there, which as you should know will take time to accomplish. And we all know what those cuts would be, sorry we tried running a Nation with no social programs, it did not work so hence we cannot eliminate them simply because you do not like them, I am all for reform, elimination nope, and it will not happen.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:03 AM

5,281 posts, read 4,384,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I

We can blame congress all we want for the debt crisis, but remember, we elect these people. When we quit acting like 4 year olds, Congress might get something done. Each side has to be willing to compromise, but because we want our representatives to stay on the party line, they can't agree to anything.
1. We don't elect people, or get to choose from anyone who would rock the boat; we choose from the well-controlled Clones they allow us to choose from.
2. Congress gets done exactly what it WANTS done; the rest, they claim they can't do thanks to "gridlock," the "other" party, or some other lame excuse.
3. There is little compromise when both political parties want the same thing: ever-expanding government, higher taxes, a world military empire, and all the money consolidated at the top with a slave-class doing the work and paying all the taxes.
4. There is no "Party Line" of either side, unless it's an excuse to do or not do what serves them best. Both parties are identical, and even the "relief valves" of conservative commentators stick to religion, world empires, and meaningless social issues. If there was ANY difference, Ron Paul would have got 90% of the Republican support and instead he was simply blacklisted: why? He's not a Republicrat who plays the game that leads to national collapse for the benefit of the few ultra-rich.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:16 AM

11,273 posts, read 8,363,991 times
Thank you NHartphotog.

I was about to turn my computer off in disgust and shame for my fellow Americans until I read your post. I agree with you 100%.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:10 PM

32,282 posts, read 26,131,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The problem is the House is passing Bills and then saying no compromise, that along with the actions of the Senate are killing this Nation. I would say that every Rep that says "no compromise" should be voted out of office, since in my book they are Traitors.
We are following the Constitution, if you believe something is not Constitutional there is a court that can deal with that. Nothing wrong with responsibility, it is how you want to get there, which as you should know will take time to accomplish. And we all know what those cuts would be, sorry we tried running a Nation with no social programs, it did not work so hence we cannot eliminate them simply because you do not like them, I am all for reform, elimination nope, and it will not happen.
has any republican suggested eliminating any social safety nets? no, they HAVE however pushed for reforming those programs so they will be around in the future. the ryan medicare plan for instance, the current one not the old one that you democrats are campaigning against, doesnt change anything for the 55 and over crowd, and for those under 55 they have the option of continuing with the current medicare plan, or having the government give them money to buy their own private insurance plan.

all these social programs do need reforming, but the democrats are the ones blocking that effort, rather like they tried in the 90s with welfare reform that actually WORKED.

and the republicans are not saying no compromise to everything, just taxes right now because we know that when you raise taxes in a soft economy, you hurt the economy, even if it is on the so called 1%. if you want to raise taxes on CEOs pay, be my guest you wont get anything from them as they will just renegotiate their contracts to avoid the higher taxes. but when you say lets raise taxes on everyone making over $250k, you end up pounding the small business owners, the very people obama claims to want to help. and what does that do? hurt the jobs market. in good economic times, raising taxes a small amount isnt hurtful to the economy, because most businesses will just push more productivity from their employees. but raise taxes now and they cut employees and push for more productivity.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:18 PM

58,052 posts, read 40,812,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have given this considerable thought and will not be voting for the group that has held us back on so many things in the Senate. You were referring to that kind of voting, I suppose.
So you prefer voting for the larger group holding things back in the House I suppose.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:52 AM

5,936 posts, read 4,653,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
are there still people who believe the line "I'm with the government and I'm here to help"
As we've seen over the last couple of weeks, yes, tens of millions of people too.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:55 AM

16,553 posts, read 11,463,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I

We can blame congress all we want for the debt crisis, but remember, we elect these people. When we quit acting like 4 year olds, Congress might get something done. Each side has to be willing to compromise, but because we want our representatives to stay on the party line, they can't agree to anything.
I agree for the most part.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:12 AM

9,138 posts, read 6,731,998 times
What people need is a "It a wonderful life" style view if all the federal governemnt has a hand in was one day removed and people had to really fend for themselves in a country sans any influence by the federal, state, or municipal governments.

it kinda like when i hear people talk about what life would be like after total finacial colapse...most think the world would just go on as before the colapse minus banks.

I truely believe most people dont fully understand how much the federal government is a good part of their lives. Not welfare, not benefits, just day to day...make your life work easier.

for all those that believe that no governement is best...go live on your own in the woods for five years. If you want no govenment, go off and live you life out of society. How are you going to live in a society without laws, regulations, restrictions...

you want total freedom, go live in the woods.

Before you start quoting the founding fathers...they lived with rules, they wrote laws, they payed taxes, and they enjoyed liberty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies