U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:36 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,067,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
So did Ronald Reagan and GW Bush.
I'm not so sure about that - I don't recall either of those two making any such pledges - but even if they did - what does that have to do with President Obama promising not to raisie taxes on the middle class and then proceeding to break that promise?

Nothing? Congratulations - you win a gold star if nothing is your answer.

Now - back on topic - do you concede that President Obama broke his promise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 11:48 PM

30,709 posts, read 33,524,935 times
Quote:
Now - back on topic - do you concede that President Obama broke his promise?
Does it help if I concede that every politician breaks their promise? Obama is no exception. Sometimes it's trumped up campaign promises with no hope of happening, sometimes it's a change in the political wind, sometimes it's due to outside (the rest of the world) reasons, sometimes it's opposition and sometimes it's defeat. Do you feel better now? I'm curious what you are trying to "prove".

Old 08-21-2012, 11:48 PM

17,028 posts, read 9,570,803 times
Quote:
So did Ronald Reagan and GW Bush.

No, that was GHW Bush.
He lost the election greatly due to that as well.

Could be an ominous prediction for BHO too.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:06 AM

13,091 posts, read 7,824,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
No, that was GHW Bush.
He lost the election greatly due to that as well.

Could be an ominous prediction for BHO too.
You're right, it was GHW Bush. Kinda prooves my point though. I wouldn't want a politician that locked out any options for keeping our country stable.

Ronald Reagan.

The Tax Reform Act of 1986 and its impact on the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) reduced nominal rates on the wealthy and eliminated tax deductions, while raising tax rates on lower-income individuals.

Sound familiar?

Old 08-22-2012, 12:18 AM

29,124 posts, read 22,067,571 times
Quote:
Ronald Reagan.

The Tax Reform Act of 1986 and its impact on the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) reduced nominal rates on the wealthy and eliminated tax deductions, while raising tax rates on lower-income individuals.

Sound familiar?
Did President Reagan ever make any statements to the effect that he promised to not sign such bills?

Old 08-22-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Did President Reagan ever make any statements to the effect that he promised to not sign such bills?
Not sure. It would take a lot of resource work into source to figure out all his utterances, but the fact is, he is held up to a very high standard in the lexicon of republican political saints and is considered an example to be emulated by future republican wanna be's. He raised taxes quite substantially during his tenure.

BTW: What taxes did Obama raise? Please don't nit-pick out the penalty on not following the HC mandate to get insurance or some obscure cigarette tax. That would really smear the credibility of the whole republican premise. You guys have milked that cow dry. Give me some real meat with these small potatos being served.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:45 AM

3,482 posts, read 4,023,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
That's right, removing programs that have done the most benefit to the people is "helping their fellow citizens." Why am I not surprised that you want people poor, starving, and homeless.
I repeat: you are evil for wanting to do it forcibly. But I dare say I help far more poor, hungry, and homeless than your crooked, pathetic methods have. But why would I be surprised if a liberal (if the shoe fits, wear it) is evil, crooked, and pathetic?

Old 08-22-2012, 05:32 AM

8,803 posts, read 7,591,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What tax? I've got health insurance, so I won't be paying any taxes for Obamacare. If you don't have health insurance, well - too bad, chump.

Are you willing to admit that you took advantage of the payroll tax cuts and the Making Work Pay tax credits? Or do you not work and just mooch off the government dole?
So he did not raise taxes on the middle class at all?

Old 08-22-2012, 10:35 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,029,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
I repeat: you are evil for wanting to do it forcibly. But I dare say I help far more poor, hungry, and homeless than your crooked, pathetic methods have. But why would I be surprised if a liberal (if the shoe fits, wear it) is evil, crooked, and pathetic?
Forcibly? You have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
I'm sorry. I've read many of your posts. No way are you feeding poor, hungry, homeless people unless someone is paying you to do it. You have continously mocked and belittled the poor and disadvantaged in previous posts. Always feeling like they were taking something from you, personally. If that's the case, then just spit it out. We'll understand and deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or