U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
8,803 posts, read 7,584,602 times
Reputation: 4501

Advertisements

Are any of you willing to admit that Obamacare raises taxes on the middle class against his campaign promises? If so, what sort of legitimacy and validity do liberals/Obama/Democrats have in championing for the middle class when they've just raised taxes on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:23 PM
 
1,661 posts, read 1,192,976 times
Reputation: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Are any of you willing to admit that Obamacare raises taxes on the middle class against his campaign promises? If so, what sort of legitimacy and validity do liberals/Obama/Democrats have in championing for the middle class when they've just raised taxes on them?
The CBO says otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
8,803 posts, read 7,584,602 times
Reputation: 4501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
The CBO says otherwise.
Link? I'm guessing you're googling it right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 PM
 
2,849 posts, read 3,939,028 times
Reputation: 3256
But the Supreme Court ruled that he already has raised taxes on the middle class.

Obamacare Raises Taxes on 3 Million Middle-Class Americans

Oh oh, Ford Beebe, you got caught in the same room with Reality again! Run for your life!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Pluto's Home Town
9,995 posts, read 11,681,157 times
Reputation: 5580
I am not sure of the math, but I think he showed real leadership in taking us where we need to go as a society. Did it go far enough? No, but noone should go without health coverage, and if I pay a dollar in taxes, I want the first 90 cents to go toward things like that.

Unlike my conservative brethren, I don't like to whine about helping my fellow citizens. I don't think it is just a tax hike. It is much more comprehensive and important than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:29 PM
 
1,661 posts, read 1,192,976 times
Reputation: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Link? I'm guessing you're googling it right now.
Sausage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,121 posts, read 26,694,116 times
Reputation: 16255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I am not sure of the math, but I think he showed real leadership in taking us where we need to go as a society. Did it go far enough? No, but noone should go without health coverage, and if I pay a dollar in taxes, I want the first 90 cents to go toward things like that.

Unlike my conservative brethren, I don't like to whine about helping my fellow citizens. I don't think it is just a tax hike. It is much more comprehensive and important than that.
This. I'm more than happy to pay more taxes if it goes towards getting health coverage that doesn't depend on an employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:31 PM
 
1,661 posts, read 1,192,976 times
Reputation: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
But the Supreme Court ruled that he already has raised taxes on the middle class.

Obamacare Raises Taxes on 3 Million Middle-Class Americans

Oh oh, Ford Beebe, you got caught in the same room with Reality again! Run for your life!!
Here's some reality for you...taxes haven't been raised because the individual mandate doesn't kick in until 2014.

Aren't you tired of embarrassing yourself yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
29,124 posts, read 22,044,942 times
Reputation: 6128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Here's some reality for you...taxes haven't been raised because the individual mandate doesn't kick in until 2014.

Aren't you tired of embarrassing yourself yet?
LOL!

Your justification for a tax hike is that it may have been voted on and signed into law but it hasn't taken effect yet? How convenient - if Mitt Romney wins the election - then you can blame the tax hike on him if he leaves ObamaCare alone - and criticize him if he attempts to get Congress to repeal it.

Doesn't work that way - President Obama promised that he wouldn't raise taxes on certain people and then he did it - he broke his word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
8,803 posts, read 7,584,602 times
Reputation: 4501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I am not sure of the math, but I think he showed real leadership in taking us where we need to go as a society. Did it go far enough? No, but noone should go without health coverage, and if I pay a dollar in taxes, I want the first 90 cents to go toward things like that.

Unlike my conservative brethren, I don't like to whine about helping my fellow citizens. I don't think it is just a tax hike. It is much more comprehensive and important than that.
I'm not here in this particular thread to debate, to hear justifications, to prove you wrong, or to win any CD discussion points. I just want to know if a liberal is willing to step forward and go on the record as saying Obama raised taxes on the middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top