Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:20 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
And this differs from conservatism how exactly?
It doesn't because both sides are just shills for the same masters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 11:21 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
It has been well established that liberals are tolerant, friendly people -- as long as you agree with all their ideas. Step an inch off the liberal line and prepare to be labeled a "bigot" or a "hate group" and have flaming hot coals of hell rained down upon you.
Please share a real-life example, and/or proof that it applies to all or most liberals.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I am a friendly tolerant liberal. My liberal friends even tolerate my support of the 2nd amendment and that I was a River Rat in 'Nam. I listen to different views on most topics and am willing to change my mind when presented with a factual argument. Hell, I even support Adam Smith style capitalism.

What I am intolerant of is people that would force me to believe in their god, force my women friends to be slaves to their pregnancies and hate everyone that is not a rich white preppie jerk. I also do not have much tolerance for prudes or the delusional.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:40 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Hmm. And what have conservatives wanted to ban...

Same-sex marriage
Oral sex
Marijuana
Abortion
Sex shops
Flag burning
Interracial marriage
Social Security
Medicare
Divorce
Voting rights
Mosques

I could go on.
same sex marriage--point taken, although most conservatives favor 'civil unions,' arguing that 'marriage' is an English word that should not be redefined. In this case nothing is really being banned; it's just an argument over the definition of a word.

oral sex--cite one example of a present day conservative who argues for a ban on oral sex.

marijuana--the only two prominent national politicians who have called for legalization (afaik) are conservative R's--Ron Paul & Gary Johnson. Gil Kerlikowske, Obama's chose 'drug czar' is adamantly against pot legalization.

abortion--this is a special case since there are two lives involved. I am pro-choice as I assume you are, but can't you see the fallacy of lumping in abortion with drugs, sex, free speech, etc?

sex shops--I live in the Seattle area, where, trust me, there are no conservatives running the show. But the police around here constantly run sex stings of one kind or another.

I could go on but some of your entries (ban on medicare?) defy rational inclusion in this debate.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:42 AM

876 posts, read 708,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Please share a real-life example, and/or proof that it applies to all or most liberals.
Might be quicker for them to give you an example of when Libs do act tolerant. I was trying to think of one, but I can't. Maybe the other poster can, though. I can think of lots of times that they have tried to make people think that conservatives are bigots(like Biden saying, "Dey goin' put y'all back in chains".) Heck, I can't tell you how many times I have been called a racist just because I didn't vote for obama and that was the only evidence they had. And there are numerous times libs have tried to label conservative groups as "hate groups". They even tried to say that Chick-fil-a was a hate group and ban and boycott it. LOL. Wasn't it just last week that some guy tried to kill people at the FRC office because LGBT groups were calling them a hate group? It's ironic that the groups that scream the loudest for tolerance and understanding are the ones who give it least.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Might be quicker for them to give you an example of when Libs do act tolerant. I was trying to think of one, but I can't. Maybe the other poster can, though. I can think of lots of times that they have tried to make people think that conservatives are bigots(like Biden saying, "Dey goin' put y'all back in chains".) Heck, I can't tell you how many times I have been called a racist just because I didn't vote for obama and that was the only evidence they had. And there are numerous times libs have tried to label conservative groups as "hate groups". They even tried to say that Chick-fil-a was a hate group and ban and boycott it. LOL. Wasn't it just last week that some guy tried to kill people at the FRC office because LGBT groups were calling them a hate group? It's ironic that the groups that scream the loudest for tolerance and understanding are the ones who give it least.

Ah yes. Another delusional Conservative who thinks "being tolerant" means tolerating bigotry, racism, homophobia, etc.! Hint: It doesn't. I am liberal. I do not tolerate or accept or tolerate positions that, for example, women should be covered head to toe with burkas.... or that gays shouldn't have equal rights.

Liberals would be TOLERANT of conservative "beliefs" if conservatives held their BELIEFS to themselves, and didn't try to restrict the lives of everyone and make them live LIKE THEM. Chick-fil-A, for example, GAVE MONEY to groups that ACTIVELY WORK to harm gay people not only in this country, but other countries. But the conservative yokels are too busy swallowing talk radio trash to understand the issue.

It's why every liberal can tolerate the Amish -- perhaps the most conservative Christians out there, with arhaic views --- they don't try to LEGISLATE their conservative point of view so that EVERYONE is forced to live without electricty, riding a buggy, and wearing top hats and beards. However, the modern American conservative wants to legislate THEIR version of morality. THEIR version of what's "right and wrong."

Old 08-22-2012, 11:54 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Default ... and now a word from PHILADELPHIA

American liberal concepts did not originate with the Puritans of New England.

Liberality can trace it's roots to William Penn, the Quakers, and the founding of the colony of Pennsylvania. When the Puritans, an ultra-conservative Christian denomination, believed in discriminatory and theocratic ideals, it was the Quakers who repudiated those concepts and welcomed Catholics, Jews, and everyone else into their colony.

We who live in "The City Of Brotherly Love" know this ...

Even some 350 years after the first Europeans settled here, Philadelphia is still a liberal city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies