Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:48 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Better still, you could stay home and quit worrying about things you cannot change...
Abortion once was left to the states - and a woman in Texas caused that to change and later spoke out against abortion.

Things changed once - and they can change again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 01:49 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If you want to object to a serial killer running loose - then don't kill anyone or become a murder victim - but leave the serial killer alone. That is the only choice that YOU get to make.
A serial killer could possibly kill me or someone I love. A woman having an abortion isn't going to abort you, or force you or a loved one to have an abortion.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
A serial killer could possibly kill me or someone I love. A woman having an abortion isn't going to abort you, or force you or a loved one to have an abortion.
A serial killer has a destabilizing impact on a community - that is why resources are used to find such people and put them behind bars.

A society that condones the killing of its youngest members is likewise negatively affected.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:53 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
When abortions are illegal, even considered felonies, there are still abortions. In fact countries that have outlawed abortion have higher rates of abortion than where it is legal.

If you want MORE abortions, outlaw abortion.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:00 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I consider protesting dangerous in this society. I think more can be achieved by writing letters, electing those that really are against abortion, if you can find someone that really is against it and not just using that stance to get elected. After they are elected stay on their back until they keep campaign promises.

Protesters just look like angry mobs. And sometimes they turn into angry mobs and that could be dangerous for you legally. Better to stay home and write letters. It costs less and usually have better results.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:04 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
I only learned that there are Biblically based objections to abortion this year - and I have not yet taken the time to investigate them.

I was making the poiint that for many people - such as myself - religion plays no part in their objection to abortion - it is just wrong.
And I was making the point that, whether you realize it or not, religion plays a significant part in your objection to abortion. Your beliefs regarding the human qualities of the fetus are guided by religious beliefs. Not only that, but those religious beliefs are relatively new. Because, up until the mid 1800's, abortion was accepted world round. Abortion wasn't considered murder, because the fetus wasn't considered a person. That's why miscarriages don't generally spark funerals and death notices. The family certainly feels a loss, and people are sympathetic to that loss, but the idea that a fetus is a person is a new concept, one that gained authority when the Catholic Church lent its support to the idea. St Thomas de Aquinas, St Augustine, et al, the major thinkers of Church philosophy, all agreed that a fetus wasn't a person. Then, the Industrial Revolution happened, the woman's suffrage movement happened, and patriarchal churches changed their tunes about abortion. And the churches gave credibility and authority to the new idea that fetuses were people. And that's why your idea, that it's murder, is based on religion. It's not based on science. It's not based on common societal mores. It's based on a movement enjoined by patriarchal churches to keep women in their place.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Your beliefs regarding the human qualities of the fetus are guided by religious beliefs.
No they aren't. How many times do I have to tell you that I only became aware of religious objections to abortion this year. I have been pro-life since I became politically aware (about 20 years ago) - it never occurred to me that religion had anything to do with the debate.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:28 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
No they aren't. How many times do I have to tell you that I only became aware of religious objections to abortion this year. I have been pro-life since I became politically aware (about 20 years ago) - it never occurred to me that religion had anything to do with the debate.
It never occurred to you doesn't mean that your rationale wasn't guided by religious ideas. The idea of fetuses being persons is a religious idea. All of your objections are based on that religious idea.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:30 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? There is no such thing as "legitimate rape". Rape is disgusting and rapists are pathetic scum who don't deserve to be called men.

You are pretty sick - why would you put such ugly words in my mouth - do you have no sense of morality - or a conscience?
You're the one arguing that a woman should stay with an abusive husband because marriage is forever . . . and YOU are accusing me of lacking a sense of morality?

Do you think a woman should be entitled to have an abortion if she's raped? Because your fellow Reps don't.

Quote:
One thing our republic most certainly needs is more prayer.

People should pray even if they aren't protesting due to religious beliefs - I never even heard of any religious based objections to abortion until this year - its pretty much a general moral issue to me.

Murder is wrong.
Abortion isn't murder. And the last thing this country needs are religious delusions.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The idea of fetuses being persons is a religious idea.
How so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies