U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 02:02 AM

29,125 posts, read 21,913,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. I won't even discuss the fact that a fetus (esp in the stage where abortion is legal) isn't a "person," since we've already covered that in the 5,000 other abortion threads.
Yes, I am quite aware that pro-choice individuals on this forum have covered the truth. Its hard to think about the lives that are snuffed out when that is what they are advocating for the "choice" to do. Its easier to rename those lives "parasites" and unviable tissue mass" so they don't have to think about the human life being destroyed.

"Covered" is the apt term, alright.

Last edited by Harrier; 08-22-2012 at 02:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 02:06 AM

29,041 posts, read 44,851,192 times
P.S. As I've stated in the past, I am actually anti-abortion but pro-choice... so please don't direct pro-abortion comments at me, because I'm as opposed to them as you & Harrier are. Unlike you guys, however, I'm willing to allow other women the freedom to make that decision for themselves.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Yes, I am quite aware that you have covered the truth. Its hard to think about the lives that are snuffed out when that is what you are advocating for the "choice" to do. Its easier to rename those lives "parasites" and unviable tissue mass" so you don't have to think about the human life being destroyed.

"Covered" is the apt term, alright.
I have never used those terms, and please see my post above... in case you've missed it, I'm as disgusted by abortion as you are. Surprise, surprise! When I used the term "we" in that other post, I was referring to the forum in general - NOT ME.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-22-2012 at 02:16 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 02:09 AM

Quote:
P.S. As I've stated in the past, I am actually anti-abortion but pro-choice... so please don't direct pro-abortion comments at me, because I'm as opposed to them as you & Harrier are. Unlike you guys, however, I'm willing to allow other women the freedom to make that decision for themselves.
My use of "you" wasn't meant directly for you - it was in response to your use of "we've" - referencing other pro-choice posters on this forum. I apologize if you perceived that as a direct attack.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:15 AM

Quote:
My use of "you" wasn't meant directly for you - it was in response to your use of "we've" - referencing other pro-choice posters on this forum. I apologize if you perceived that as a direct attack.
Apology accepted, and yes those comments did offend me! That's why I usually avoid this topic, since it's difficult for me to defend something which I actually oppose... but I just try to distance myself, and think clearly in terms of liberty/choice and law. That is all, and now I will bow out of this one.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
I have never used those terms, and please see my post above... in case you've missed it, I'm as disgusted by abortion as you are. Surprise, surprise! When I used the term "we" in that other post, I was referring to the forum in general - NOT ME.
I corrected the post in question for clarity.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:19 AM

16,438 posts, read 19,058,072 times
Quote:
Can you prove that in court? Nope, didn't think so.
There is a higher law than human courts. The law is wrong. Abortion is murder.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
I will from this point on consider you a pro-life individual then - with the difference that you support Roe v Wade. Would that be accurate?

My opposition to Roe v Wade is that it takes power away from states. If you are pro-life but think that the federal government should be enpowered to make such laws - I disagree - but I can also appreciate that.

The problem is that there is no national law to that effect - Roe v Wade is a ruling - not a law - and SCOTUS is not supposed to have the power to set national law by its rulings.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
There is a higher law than human courts. The law is wrong. Abortion is murder.
Your opinion... others will differ.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:35 AM

Quote:
I will from this point on consider you a pro-life individual then - with the difference that you support Roe v Wade. Would that be accurate?
Somewhat, except that I'd still support a woman's right to choose if Roe v Wade didn't exist... I'm pro-life AND pro-choice, if I must choose labels.

Quote:
My opposition to Roe v Wade is that it takes power away from states. If you are pro-life but think that the federal government should be enpowered to make such laws - I disagree - but I can also appreciate that.

The problem is that their is no national law to that effect - Roe v Wade is a ruling - not a law - and SCOTUS is not supposed to have the power to set national law by its rulings.
I literally have no opinion on all of this, since I really don't care either way... I would be disappointed if some states chose to overturn the ruling, but it's unlikely any state I'd live in would do that. And if some other states made that decision, they'd be the ones to face any resulting consequences. So, have at it I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies