U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 01:57 PM

19,634 posts, read 12,401,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
"Tennessee state Sen. Stacey Campfield (R) falsely claimed on Thursday that it was nearly impossible for someone to contract AIDS through heterosexual contact."

GOP lawmaker: Virtually impossible to get AIDS through heterosexual sex | The Raw Story

This after Akin's comments a few days earlier.

Well, then, I guess all those men and women who contracted AIDS through heterosexual contact must have had a wrong diagnosis.

...whew...I'll be they're relieved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 02:00 PM

51,703 posts, read 41,637,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
McKinney's lunacy, even with Democratic Majorities has never become policy or deserving of serious consideration. Some how the worst ideas of the right actually do become policy.
Like NAFTA?

Edited to add: LOL. Whomever repped me calling this Bush's baby...thanks for the laugh. Clinton, Biden, Kerry, Kennedy and many more all joined in with the republicans in signing it.

Sorry that the irony flew right over your head.

Last edited by Mathguy; 08-22-2012 at 03:27 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 02:05 PM

51,703 posts, read 41,637,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Well, then, I guess all those men and women who contracted AIDS through heterosexual contact must have had a wrong diagnosis.

...whew...I'll be they're relieved.
Well, since I keep hearing that the government created HIV to kill off blacks maybe this guy knows something we don't?

Old 08-22-2012, 02:11 PM

30,194 posts, read 16,577,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
AWESOME! What a relief!!!
Man! These libs are really desperate!

But, hey ... what was it that Clinton said? "I didn't have sex with that ... woman!"
Or how about John Kerry, "I voted against it, before I voted for it."
Then there is Barack Obama, "Been to 54 states; 3 more to go!"
Nancy Pelosi, "We have to pass this bill so we can find out what's in it."

But, never mind.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:39 PM

30,194 posts, read 16,577,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
First I find out that I have a magical vagina - and now I'm almost completely safe from AIDs, just for being heterosexual?? What have the Republicans been smoking, and can I have some please?

SMH....... and I'd be LOL too, if this weren't actually dangerous propaganda.
Very funny. But I'm going to stick my neck out just for grins. I heard the clip where Akin made the so-called "controversial" comment, and I must say that people are making way too much of it. Was it stupid? Yes it was! But the most he could be accused of is medical ignorance. Even my wife said that a lot of people used to believe that, that it was not uncommon to hear that said. So, he is also guilty of believing a myth.

And he didn't say that a woman "couldn't get pregnant." He implied that the likelihood was small, because "the body shuts down." I could understand that if I was not thinking it through. I might accept at first that under extreme trauma and stress, fear, etc., that could be the case. But I think beyond that point, and I don't buy it. Apparently, however, a lot of people once believed that, and he is one of them. He didn't say it out of mean spiritedness.

There have been plenty of dumb things said by Democrats too. They are not immune.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:50 PM

20,327 posts, read 10,406,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Very funny. But I'm going to stick my neck out just for grins. I heard the clip where Akin made the so-called "controversial" comment, and I must say that people are making way too much of it. Was it stupid? Yes it was! But the most he could be accused of is medical ignorance. Even my wife said that a lot of people used to believe that, that it was not uncommon to hear that said. So, he is also guilty of believing a myth.

And he didn't say that a woman "couldn't get pregnant." He implied that the likelihood was small, because "the body shuts down." I could understand that if I was not thinking it through. I might accept at first that under extreme trauma and stress, fear, etc., that could be the case. But I think beyond that point, and I don't buy it. Apparently, however, a lot of people once believed that, and he is one of them. He didn't say it out of mean spiritedness.

There have been plenty of dumb things said by Democrats too. They are not immune.
Well, one would expect that someone serving on the science and technology committee to be at least somewhat familiar with basic biology, which is part of science.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:44 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,023,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
From the males perspective he is right. Women not so much.
Not really. In America more males get AIDS from homosexual sex but it does not mean that it is difficult to get it from heterosexual sex. If you look at the numbers for the world they flip.

Last edited by plates; 08-22-2012 at 10:12 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 09:53 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,897,622 times
Maybe that's why so many heterosexuals have the disease...especially in Republican controlled areas.

-They're told that they can't get it
-Awful education
-No healthcare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies