Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:15 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I had one put on my property for a chicken coop. It held up better than some homes when we got hit with high winds. I had neighbors lose roof shingles, playscapes and those metal carports.

That shed never lost so much as a shingle. And I got the low HOA version (8x10) that made the perfect chicken coop once you put in some windows and a chicken door
Great idea! I am planning on getting a new coop. Coyotes are an issue with chickens around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 03:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I need a permit to build a pergola or gazebo in my backyard. I need a permit for a microwave oven upstairs. For crying out loud. Is this just a California thing?
Well like a broken clock...

That's freaking nuts! Is the microwave a permanently installed unit requiring rewiring? That is the only possible reason that I could possibly conceive of that would require a permit. As for the gazebo... are you excavating for a foundation or again putting power to it?

Old 08-22-2012, 03:19 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
What inconsistencies? Any school has a right to set rules about student speech and conduct. My city, too, has a right to require permits for microwave ovens. I haven't challenged that.

A valedictorian speech is a major public event, occurring just once annually, that reflects on the image and quality of the school.

A microwave oven is a small home appliance, used daily by a very limited number of people who approve of its presence in the home.

Regulating the former makes sense; requiring a permit for the latter is petty and intrusive.

But that's just my opinion. If you disagree, I won't think any less of you.

Peace.
I don't believe you. I think when you realized that the draft of the speech included, "Who the heck knows?", and that her sole deviation was to say, "Who the hell knows?", that you thought the school principal was being petty and silly. But you took this position, and you're trying to stick to it, come hell or high water, huh?

Old 08-22-2012, 03:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Great idea! I am planning on getting a new coop. Coyotes are an issue with chickens around here.
Oh..I used a circular saw to create windows and a chicken door. The windows had hardware cloth and I latched up the door every night. The sheds come with flooring and metal foundation framing so no worries about predators getting in from underneath. They come painted in your choice of color and trim.
It stands up to the weather pretty nice. Very solid framing.

Predators are always an issue with chickens.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:42 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I agree on a pre built shed. The HOA should set the rules if you live where there is one.
Being pre built there should be no issue with the structural integrity of the building.
Not necessarily. Most pre-built sheds are designed for "standard" wind and snow loads. If you live in a high-wind (coastal or some mountain valleys), seismic (west coast, New Madrid, Charleston), or snow (about 1/4 of the country) load zone, your typical pre-built shed doesn't meet local building codes. It's possible that sheds sold, for example, in Florida are built stronger to withstand a hurricane, and it's possible that they are not.

I'm a structural engineer and once was asked to "stamp" the plans for a pre-built shed. "Plan Stamping" was illegal in that state, but I was able to review the plans, perform calculations, and submit a stamped letter stating the plans meet local building codes... except they didn't meet them. Not even close for snow loads, and this was in a state where the snow loads really weren't that high.

Back on topic, if you don't like oppressive zoning laws, covenants, and building codes, just move to a rural area. Many states don't have state-wide building codes, and the ones that do often don't have state-level enforcement. So if you aren't governed by a local jurisdiction (county, city, or subdivision) you can do whatever you want. You MAY build a 2-story shed out of beer cans, and so may your neighbor.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:44 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well like a broken clock...

That's freaking nuts! Is the microwave a permanently installed unit requiring rewiring? That is the only possible reason that I could possibly conceive of that would require a permit. As for the gazebo... are you excavating for a foundation or again putting power to it?
Presumably, the microwave would be the plug in variety. That's what I had in mind. But maybe I should get that clarified. The gazebo or pergola would require a foundation of sorts, but no power. Amazing.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:41 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
Quote:
Disingenuous? As usual? Why the hostility?

It's kind of complicated. This is a big, old, cobbled together house. The infrastructure for a kitchen was in place upstairs before we got here. We moved a small kitchen from the second unit downstairs (because we turned that into a master bedroom) to the upstairs location. The inspector said the stove was illegal up there. Fine. I said how about a microwave oven? Nope, we need a permit for that too.
Ah so this is not simply your private residence. This is a multi-unit building with the potential to rent out "units" (your term) and as such qualifies perhaps as a public building, subject to completely different regulations than a single family home.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:35 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
Quote:
I used to be a libertarian, back in the day. But not anymore. Libertarianism is just liberalism for high earners.

But, but, BUT - I can't believe the things I'm required to get a permit for. I need a permit to build a pergola or gazebo in my backyard. I need a permit for a microwave oven upstairs. For crying out loud. Is this just a California thing?
By legal definition, anything you need a "permit" to do is an illegal activity. It is an activity that is illegal unless the controlling government body gives you special permission to engage in such activity.
Now stop and think how many activities in the US require a permit or license to do.
Build on your own land, get married, operate a business of any kind, own a dog, own a vehicle, drive a vehicle, gather in public, fish, hunt, broadcast on a radio, sell food, drill a well, cut a tree, go to a national park, operate a boat, raft or kayak on a river.... the list goes on and on.

Still think you are free? Still think you live in a free country? If you do, you are delusional.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:21 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
The concept of an "illegal kitchen" in a family home just doesn't compute.
It doesn't compute?

Old 08-23-2012, 10:57 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Ah so this is not simply your private residence. This is a multi-unit building with the potential to rent out "units" (your term) and as such qualifies perhaps as a public building, subject to completely different regulations than a single family home.
No, it used to be a multi-unit residence - two units approved - until we changed it into a single family home. What was once the second unit is now a master bedroom. I suppose we do have the "potential" to rent out rooms, but who doesn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies