U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 02:37 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,422,355 times

Advertisements

The President, in his nationwide address last night, said $980 million would be raised by charging fees to users of the nation's waterways, airports, airways, ports and other facilities maintained by the Government.
-Ronald Reagan
REAGAN'S USER FEE PLAN IS OPPOSED - NYTimes.com

Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges.”
-Barack Obama.
GOP Convention Theme Blasts Obama:

The GOP. Running with it like someone who's about to be legitimately raped. It's their convention's theme, so I've read.

FactCheck.org : ‘You Didn’t Build That,’ Uncut and Unedited

Old 08-22-2012, 02:57 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,013,969 times
Wow! I don't think I've ever seen such an EPIC FAIL on so many fronts in a single thread.

Good job. Too bad it's hogwash.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:01 AM

If you can't dispute, deflect. I'm sure more conservatives will be here shortly to blast Reagan as well.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:44 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,013,969 times
Honey...............the sign and the surroundings does not depict the business. But leave it to a lib to have not a single clue what building a business really means.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 AM

30,120 posts, read 15,680,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
The President, in his nationwide address last night, said $980 million would be raised by charging fees to users of the nation's waterways, airports, airways, ports and other facilities maintained by the Government.

Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges.”

The GOP. Running with it like someone who's about to be legitimately raped. It's their convention's theme, so I've read.
Actually, this ridiculous stream of blather ("You didn't build that" etc.) originated with George Lackoff. We first heard this nonsense from Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) Almost a year ago.

But let's not get too ridiculous. Reagan never, ever used such absurd reasoning, and he certainly would have been as quick to put it down as anyone today.

I don't know why we have to keep beating this dead horse, and the more you leftists bring it up, the more it hurts your "guy" Obama and any Democrat that subscribes to this B.S.

Electricity (referring to your marked up photo) is provided by private companies, not government. And, keeping government out of the way, allowing for more generation of electricity (coal, gas, nuclear, hydro) are what keep energy prices low, not government regulators.

Port taxes paid by freight lines (costs that are passed on to the shipper of goods; i.e. the factories that produce the goods) are used by cities to maintain infrastructure, so the shipper is getting nothing for free (which is the insinuation in the Presidents and Elizabeth Warren's rant).

Everyone pays taxes that paid for highways, and businesses also pay property taxes.

As I have also said elsewhere, at least in the last 50 years, developers of industrial complexes pay for the roads utilities and water and sewer systems, not government.

This entire scenario of "somebody else made that happen" and "you shipped your goods over roads that 'we' paid for" etc. is such baloney, and everybody knows it. The Democrats really stepped in it with this garbage, and it is hurting them. Good. Keep it up!

Old 08-22-2012, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Wow! I don't think I've ever seen such an EPIC FAIL on so many fronts in a single thread.

Good job. Too bad it's hogwash.
The first time I heard of this crap was from the mouth of Elizabeth Warren almost a year ago. I rolled my eyes and laughed then. I never thought the POTUS would pick it up and run with it. Then I heard that it is from the advice of George Lackoff, who has been advising Democrats on how to frame arguments. I think on this one, he gets an 'F-'.

They would do well to drop this.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:13 AM

Default Reagan? Never!

Quote:
If you can't dispute, deflect. I'm sure more conservatives will be here shortly to blast Reagan as well.
You're attempt to tie this somehow to Ronald Reagan is just laughable. Obviously, you are not old enough to remember Reagan. If you had ever heard any of Reagan's speeches, you would know he never held such ridiculous ideas.

Reagan championed the entrepreneur and said government "is the problem." He always believed that if government would get out of the way, the country would prosper. And he was right.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:22 AM

9,897 posts, read 6,600,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The first time I heard of this crap was from the mouth of Elizabeth Warren almost a year ago. I rolled my eyes and laughed then. I never thought the POTUS would pick it up and run with it. Then I heard that it is from the advice of George Lackoff, who has been advising Democrats on how to frame arguments. I think on this one, he gets an 'F-'.

They would do well to drop this.
Agreed. IMO that's why Warren won't win either.

Elizabeth Warren on The Myth of Class Warfare: Nobody Got Rich on His Own... - YouTube

Old 08-22-2012, 04:25 AM

Quote:
-Ronald Reagan
REAGAN'S USER FEE PLAN IS OPPOSED - NYTimes.com

-Barack Obama.
GOP Convention Theme Blasts Obama:

FactCheck.org : ‘You Didn’t Build That,’ Uncut and Unedited
FactCheck is an Annenberg (leftists) Website, and the link here is to an article that attempts to show that "in context," the meaning of the Presidents remark is changed. It is not. In the "If you've got a business — you didn't build that" statement, 'that' refers to 'business.' His comments on roads and bridges came previously. In context or out of context, the meaning is the same. I had the full transcript of his speech downloaded long ago, so I already knew the context. Lefties can try to back pedal this all they want, but it is what it is.

Oh, and by the way (looking at your little picture and the mark-up), government did NOT build the Internet!

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 08-22-2012 at 05:12 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You're attempt to tie this somehow to Ronald Reagan is just laughable. Obviously, you are not old enough to remember Reagan. If you had ever heard any of Reagan's speeches, you would know he never held such ridiculous ideas.

Reagan championed the entrepreneur and said government "is the problem." He always believed that if government would get out of the way, the country would prosper. And he was right.
Yep. He also said businesses should'nt get a free ride, and they should pay fees for use of government provided help. You might be old enough to remember that. Are you claimng his speech didn't say that people who benifitted from government didn't get any help from governent? Seriously?

You are probably older than me though. I'm still able to think about things from an objective viewpoint.

They do differ, of course, in ideology. I'm glad you see you can't deny that Obama sounds a lot like Reagan. If you use government provided services, you didn't build that. You had help along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.