U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:20 PM

25,235 posts, read 14,002,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
The purpose of the 2nd Amendment was to preserve the power with the people instead of the government by ensuring that a rogue government could be put down by force if the need ever arose.
Why do you feel the need to wear a gun to class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 03:38 PM

19,122 posts, read 22,161,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Any fool can answer that question. No cops are there to be personal body guards.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:46 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,688,108 times
Perhaps then he needs to find antoiher school as student can elect to not attend his class and poay for the service.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Any fool can answer that question. No cops are there to be personal body guards.
Why would you need a personal body guard in a classroom. I have seen your pictures, looks like you would not need a gun while attending class, or few other places for that mater, believe me I would not either. Don't get me wrong I am not anti-gun, or against carrying them in certain situations, I have plenty of guns of my own and I am authorized to conceal carry. But why carry in a classroom, yes there are a few cases of shootings but come on the odds are more likely that you will be attacked by a shark or even more probable struck by lightning. I carry (open) when I step off my property to enter the government land next to mine and it is legal, and for good reasons, I conceal cary when working in particularly bad areas or very late at night, also for good reason, but a college classroom, nope I am simply not that paranoid, heck even if they were late classes I would leave the gun, if I brought it, in the car.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:28 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,968,123 times
Quote:
Maybe because he wants to walk out of the classroom alive?

Old 08-22-2012, 04:54 PM

10,583 posts, read 8,259,094 times
Quote:
Who said he felt the need to wear a gun to class?

See my comments at: faculty chairman says he'll cancel his classes if students carry guns

Last edited by Little-Acorn; 08-22-2012 at 05:19 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 06:20 PM

19,122 posts, read 22,161,284 times
Quote:
Why would you need a personal body guard in a classroom. I have seen your pictures, looks like you would not need a gun while attending class, or few other places for that mater, believe me I would not either. Don't get me wrong I am not anti-gun, or against carrying them in certain situations, I have plenty of guns of my own and I am authorized to conceal carry. But why carry in a classroom, yes there are a few cases of shootings but come on the odds are more likely that you will be attacked by a shark or even more probable struck by lightning. I carry (open) when I step off my property to enter the government land next to mine and it is legal, and for good reasons, I conceal cary when working in particularly bad areas or very late at night, also for good reason, but a college classroom, nope I am simply not that paranoid, heck even if they were late classes I would leave the gun, if I brought it, in the car.
Funny you mention hit by lightning.... i was once working on a classic wood boat in a shop, but out back there was a stone wall embedded with odd assorted metals. I was on break having a butt sitting on the floor mounted drill press petting the shop owners dog. Blue flash, and I hear the dog whelp, and find myself some 15 feet face down in a puddle of paint remover, with my heart feeling funny which it did for 3 days.

Well i would carry because I can't carry a cop, and since i already shot a man back in the 80's when the cops on the phone told me at the instant was ready to fire they were not coming and were not my personal body guards..

Well they heard me, they heard the druggie bad guy, and they heard the 12 ga go off. Since this was recorded, and the bad guy was still able to leave driving away, I didn't even get a free ride down town.

I did get a call asking if I recognized his name, and was told the cops had to break both his thumbs since he was caught in the act of choking some woman's infant. Don't ask me why, I wasn't told.

The last i was told later was i put him in a wheel chair for the rest of his life, and he was wanted for 6 more bench warrants all of which were drug related violent crimes and that before had been a long time looser spending most of his life behind bars.

And last Easter 1999 my father in law and his 2nd Wife were stabbed to death in their home by a moon bat (PC for mad man)

So there is no chance i go anywhere unarmed, not even the post office.

I am a old car mechanic, still working / building on industrial machines, and so a gun is just a simple device. One i won't go anywhere with out.

And you are correct i most like would not need a gun in a class room, but with my luck i would like to put off that shark bite too.....

I have seen sharks up close before and witnessed a 'dead shark' bite the guy who caught it hiurs later when he went to grab it by the mouth to show someone with a camera. That shark wasn't quite dead, but he was very tired.

I also have another strange habit, of keeping good tread on my tires but i still carry a jack.

Some strange chit happens to me...... But no matter what it is, I deal with it by myself, and sometimes it isn't easy. Calling the cops is no longer any option.

On edit: I forgot 'leave it in a car'. I never leave a gun in a car, because I have 0 control over the gun and the car if i were to do that. Having 0 control over my gun when out is no option either. And just in case anyone thinks my penis matters, no one but me and my wife ever know i am armed out. She has her carry papers too..... In NH is is called a Lic.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Funny you mention hit by lightning.... i was once working on a classic wood boat in a shop, but out back there was a stone wall embedded with odd assorted metals. I was on break having a butt sitting on the floor mounted drill press petting the shop owners dog. Blue flash, and I hear the dog whelp, and find myself some 15 feet face down in a puddle of paint remover, with my heart feeling funny which it did for 3 days.

Well i would carry because I can't carry a cop, and since i already shot a man back in the 80's when the cops on the phone told me at the instant was ready to fire they were not coming and were not my personal body guards..

Well they heard me, they heard the druggie bad guy, and they heard the 12 ga go off. Since this was recorded, and the bad guy was still able to leave driving away, I didn't even get a free ride down town.

I did get a call asking if I recognized his name, and was told the cops had to break both his thumbs since he was caught in the act of choking some woman's infant. Don't ask me why, I wasn't told.

The last i was told later was i put him in a wheel chair for the rest of his life, and he was wanted for 6 more bench warrants all of which were drug related violent crimes and that before had been a long time looser spending most of his life behind bars.

And last Easter 1999 my father in law and his 2nd Wife were stabbed to death in their home by a moon bat (PC for mad man)

So there is no chance i go anywhere unarmed, not even the post office.

I am a old car mechanic, still working / building on industrial machines, and so a gun is just a simple device. One i won't go anywhere with out.

And you are correct i most like would not need a gun in a class room, but with my luck i would like to put off that shark bite too.....

I have seen sharks up close before and witnessed a 'dead shark' bite the guy who caught it hiurs later when he went to grab it by the mouth to show someone with a camera. That shark wasn't quite dead, but he was very tired.

I also have another strange habit, of keeping good tread on my tires but i still carry a jack.

Some strange chit happens to me...... But no matter what it is, I deal with it by myself, and sometimes it isn't easy. Calling the cops is no longer any option.

On edit: I forgot 'leave it in a car'. I never leave a gun in a car, because I have 0 control over the gun and the car if i were to do that. Having 0 control over my gun when out is no option either. And just in case anyone thinks my penis matters, no one but me and my wife ever know i am armed out. She has her carry papers too..... In NH is is called a Lic.
Hey, thanks for sharing, I am sure it enlightened a few people to the dangers out there, and it is not always easy sharing such personal experiences with others. Well said.
I have only had a show that a gun was in my possession a couple of times in the cilvian world, and open carry always speaks for itself, usually my .44mag Ruger Super Blackhawk SA when out about locally, slower (slightly) but speaks with authority. Military was different, I was a grunt, enough said there, not current US situation, but times can bring changes, I hope not but prepare for it. Sorry to hear about your loses, that had to be tough for all of you, such things are alomst always senseless and never easy to live with. Hope ya don't mind but I sent a prayer your way.
As I said I probably would not carry to a class, hey some of us slightly over middle-agers still like to take a class on a subject or two to continue learning, just took a class on bow making, not a simple as I thought, and much much more to learn. To each their own choices.
Anyway. Thanks for the ensight, hopefully people will come to realize that guns are simply tools used by men, it is the men that use them that determine whether they are put to good or bad use.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:54 PM

5,421 posts, read 7,867,075 times
It'd be funny to carry concealed every day of class, take the final and pass it, and then after the final grade is given, slip him an anonymous note that there were people carrying in his class the entire time.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:02 PM

5,421 posts, read 7,867,075 times
Street robberies and you - The Basics - AR15.COM

I'll just leave this here for anyone interested, btw. Some interesting stuff, plus people sharing their encounters with people who weren't quite so law-abiding as society would like.

I personally feel that if I were allowed to carry on campus, I would. Sure, the statistics for a mass shooting like that are small, but the statistics for how many people are affected by violent crime of some sort in their lives are staggering (sorry, don't keep them handy.) One cannot simply choose how, when, and why an incident occurs, one must simply either live through it or not. More people are willing to fight back, but read or watch the news- the criminals and crazies that are willing to do these sorts of things are getting bolder. The appearance of a firearm doesn't end all situations, nor does carrying make you invincible- it just helps the odds, in your favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies