Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:20 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Not in my classroom, either. If I found any of my students with CCW, I would refuse to teach
Good. At least you will spare your students exposure to your paranoid ideas which could get them killed.

Quote:
, or have the student removed from class.
Ah, good. When Cho Seung-Hui (or his 2012 equivalent) shows up and start playing his little games, you can just walk up to him, explain that the guns he is firing are illegal, and politely ask him to stop. And you apparently plan to even request that he leave your classroom. That'll work. You ARE the boss, after all.

I'm encouraged to know that you feel you won't need any assistance from a legal CCW holder.

This should be good.

Too bad you decided to expose the rest of the students in the class, to this little experience, though... students who trusted you to do the right thing.

Quote:
Fortunately, Ohio bans CCW on public campuses,
Ah, now I feel safer. A guy who has no compunction about blowing away dozens of innocent people in cold blood, will certainly be stopped by a law that tells him not to bring his guns into your classroom.

BTW, Virginia Tech had the same policy. So did the theater in Aurora, CO.

How's that working out for them?

Quote:
so I'm not too worried about it.
You might want to point that out to your students' next of kin, and soon. It might take a while, there are probably a lot of them.

And you might not get the chance afterward, know what I mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 12:24 PM

876 posts, read 708,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Tenure will keep the panty-wetting gun banner in Progressive Boulder employed. Remember, this is the same university where Ward Churchill was on the faculty.

Tenure might keep him in a job and a paycheck, but there is nothing that would keep his ignorant butt from being sued for keeping paying students from their rights.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:25 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
I've said it many times before; I don't believe that theory is as valid as many claim. Part of me believes that an armed civilian (many of which have no training for such a situation) could potentially be dangerous as well to other bystanders.

We all like to think we're cowboys.

But few of us come close.

I plan on getting my concealed carry permit... at some point... and I haven't really looked into the requirements. But given the requirements to own guns, I don't imagine concealed carry being that high.
So because an innocent bystander might be hit by a secondary bullet in the process of taking down a potential mass murderer, we should ban all legal law abiding CCW holders from exercising their rights?

Got it. So tell me , when are you going to turn in your automobile and drivers license?

Old 08-22-2012, 12:25 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
I've said it many times before; I don't believe that theory is as valid as many claim. Part of me believes that an armed civilian (many of which have no training for such a situation) could potentially be dangerous as well to other bystanders.
The greatest result of allowing lawful Concealed Carry in classrooms, is that the nutcases are less likely to try their little escapade there in the first place. Because they know they are less likely to make all the headlines after they die, as they want to.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:10 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
So because an innocent bystander might be hit by a secondary bullet in the process of taking down a potential mass murderer, we should ban all legal law abiding CCW holders from exercising their rights?

Got it. So tell me , when are you going to turn in your automobile and drivers license?
Bold letters doesn't make you sound smart.

MAYBE IF WE TRY BOLD AND CAPITAL, IT'LL WORK THOUGH!

Nope. Nothing.

and I'm more implying someone concealed carrying will strait up shoot a bystander. By accident of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The greatest result of allowing lawful Concealed Carry in classrooms, is that the nutcases are less likely to try their little escapade there in the first place. Because they know they are less likely to make all the headlines after they die, as they want to.
Except... You sorta defeat that theory in the same sentence.

Quote:
nutcases
This would have an impact on rational thinkers, except the people doing this are not. They're "nutcases" or I feel more on target psychopaths.

There are not, I feel never will be, enough concealed carry to deter such actions. Especially from psychopaths, who don't care about the consequences. There are even fewer concealed carry fit for being in such a situation.

Looking at the larger picture, I cannot think of a concealed carry ending something like the recent bout of school shootings we've had.

Disclaimer: I'm not opposed to the practice of concealed carrying. I'm just trying to be realistic.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:10 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Tenure will keep the panty-wetting gun banner in Progressive Boulder employed. Remember, this is the same university where Ward Churchill was on the faculty.
If he can't keep a class. Tenure wouldn't help him.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:12 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
If he can't keep a class. Tenure wouldn't help him.
You'd be surprised what tenure can do.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:16 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
His classroom, his rules.

My dad is a retired commercial airline pilot. After 9-11 and they started allowing armed marshals and some armed pilots on planes my dad made it clear he wouldn't allow a gun his plane and would throw any armed marshal or first officer off. He's the captain - his plane, his rules.
Not so fast. It is not his class room, unless maybe he is renting it and paying property taxes. Is he?

All the right your father had was to not fly the plane....

I don't know if this Proff has the right to do as he says, but he can sure leave.

It is a fact that anyone who shows up in his class with a gun could use it, a fact all too well proven in the past.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:17 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
His classroom, his rules.

If it is a public funded school, it isn't his room.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:17 PM

192 posts, read 438,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
The purpose of the 2nd Amendment was to preserve the power with the people instead of the government by ensuring that a rogue government could be put down by force if the need ever arose.

Like someone is going to admit that have a glock .40 holstered in small of their back after what occurred in colorado? If I'm armed, I tell no one!

T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies