U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2012, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Bronx, New York
2,141 posts, read 2,567,779 times
Reputation: 3182

Advertisements

Wish I could give you 100 reps! Religious people are control freaks. These people are mad at the world because every year more people are deciding to not be controlled by myths.




Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
First of all, the economic craphole we've been shoved into began during the Reagan era with the cutting of the Capital Gains tax and deregulation of the markets, then by the starting of two insanely costly wars while also cutting taxes on the rich even further. That's what the economic craphole is all about. Since Obama was elected, the country has improved, not gotten worse. We've actually done better than basically everywhere else in the world. Our stock market is pushing towards all-time highs. So while I didn't vote for Obama and wont vote for him in November, the country has been much better off with him than it was with Bush.


You say that like it's a bad thing. Why the hell do people want crosses in national parks? You do realize that a cross is the sign of death, right? I mean, your magical man died on one of those things, why do you want them everywhere? My grandpa died in a hospital bed, but you don't see me putting monuments of his pee-stained bed everywhere.


You are. You people always do. You try to force your silly superstitions on us. You use your religion to justify institutional discrimination, like Proposition 8 in California, you use your silly religion to even justify Marijuana laws somehow (cause any true Christian should be disgusted by government making a creation of "god" illegal), you want to take away Women's rights, you even somehow turn rape into a political topic, you force us to debate undebatable facts like climate change as caused by man and evolution, you want to force us to recite the Pledge of Allegiance with "under god" in it, you put "god" all over our money...do I need to go on?

Duh. But your silly superstitions shouldn't encroach my life...and they do. You people try to impose your beliefs on everyone and then you act as if you don't. I'm glad that Atheism is starting to become more mainstream and acceptable.

Last edited by Jasper03; 08-23-2012 at 08:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2012, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Vermont
10,305 posts, read 11,214,258 times
Reputation: 14176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
However, I have heard that most Atheists are Democrats. Go figure.
I don't know if there is any evidence to support your claim but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

Atheists are intelligent and questioning enough to challenge the conventional religious orthodoxy that is presented to us, so it makes sense that we would also challenge the societal power structures embedded in Republican orthodoxy as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,492 posts, read 51,361,282 times
Reputation: 24613
IIRC - Atheists do not "put their faith" in anything because they do not have “faith" but base their decisions on hard evidence of what is actually involved. It is a lot more difficult to get the facts and make your own decisions instead of believing some deity will take care of you because it "loves" you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Va. Beach
6,396 posts, read 4,405,043 times
Reputation: 2278
Darn, and I thought most Atheists, were atheists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 08:11 AM
 
Location: CHicago, United States
6,936 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Reputation: 3490
Have a look at this:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQp6GMzGPpU[/SIZE]

Then this:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBYhqQV0A6Q&feature=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 08:16 AM
 
4,433 posts, read 3,920,689 times
Reputation: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
your silly superstitions shouldn't encroach my life...and they do. You people try to impose your beliefs on everyone and then you act as if you don't. I'm glad that Atheism is starting to become more mainstream and acceptable.
Can't just shrug it off, eh?

You should open your local Yellow Pages and find a good psychiatrist.


Does being an Atheist mean that you believe in homosexuality? Higher taxes? Kiddie porn? The Democratic Party? An increasing National Debt? And the Occupy Wall Street crowd?

Surely, Atheists wouldn't want to glom onto the Democratic Party if in fact Atheists are free thinkers.

Atheism shouldn't have anything to do with an outlook of Conservatism or Liberalism. Nor should it necessarily give an outlook of neutrality. It should just be an outlook of a disbelief in a "God".

Should Atheists think that they are smarter than religious people?

Well, that might be pretentious.


I would hope that Atheists will be concerned about the general welfare of their fellow citizens.

Jobs is the answer. Obama ain't getting it done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 08:20 AM
 
4,433 posts, read 3,920,689 times
Reputation: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IIRC - Atheists do not "put their faith" in anything because they do not have “faith" but base their decisions on hard evidence of what is actually involved.
Why would an Atheist vote for Nancy Pelosi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 09:20 AM
 
Location: San Diego
993 posts, read 800,857 times
Reputation: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Then it should be easy for you to provide a quote from one. A semi-prominent one, not some guy from East Underpants, Iowa that nobody has ever heard of.
Ever heard of the "National Day of Prayer"?

That's establishing religion in government...even if it is supposedly not based in any specific religion, it's clearly forcing fairy tale beliefs on people.

Plus, the whole "under god" nonsense in our pledge and money...that's also establishment of religion.

Plus, the whole gay marriage nonsense, the abortion idiocy, the evolution ignorance, etc. are all because we have moronic people electing religious wackadoos who want to force their silly superstitions and fairy tales on those of us with brains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Eastern NC
19,504 posts, read 17,748,691 times
Reputation: 17301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Now I know that Democrats will accept anyone into their fold who agrees with more spending, higher taxes, more regulation and Christian bashing. (mind you, no Muslim bashing is allowed if you're a Democrat)

I'm just asserting that most Atheists are Democrats. I haven't looked for statistics yet, so if anyone has some, feel free to put them forward.

However, I have heard that most Atheists are Democrats. Go figure.
As it turns out, most religious nutjobs are Republicans. Go figure!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 09:54 AM
 
9,199 posts, read 7,054,555 times
Reputation: 11154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
I don't think that Republicans keep up a charade for appearances.
Where did I say that? I said there's no way to know how many Republicans keep up a charade for appearances, not that all Republicans keep up a charade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
This is a statement from a Gallup Poll.

"There's no way to tell. Atheists in the USA are more reluctant to say so than in most of the rest of the West, because in some parts of the USA it is a stigma. You can get a minimum number by using polls, but the real number would be higher.
Right. That's exactly what I said. That there's no way to know how many atheists are in the Republican party, because they'd be stigmatized for admitting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Gallup have done some surveys on this. For example:
Republicans, Democrats Differ on Creationism
shows that Republicans are more likely to believe in young-earth creationism - 60% of them. Whereas only 38% of Democrats shared that view."

What percentage of democrats are atheist

I would also argue that -- if people with high IQ's settle into the idea that the ideology put forth by Democrats is "smart": then people with high IQ's are not so smart.

Atheists are now pushing for religious "symbols" to be removed from the public eye. It offends them. Sounds like the Democratic Party to me.

Even a person with a high IQ can see that there are no jobs.


It seems that Democrats have a problem in this election. The candidates are neck and neck. That's because Obama has only hurt our economy. Some people put faith in God, some people put faith in government, some people put faith in environmentalism ..... if Atheists put faith in Obama they are not so wise.
Atheists are just people that don't believe in a deity, they aren't a group. Atheist is not a proper noun.

People are turned off by religious extremism. I think a lot of Republicans who are actually closet atheists or at the very least agnostics, put up with it because it serves their fiscal agenda. And, because they'd lose the support of their constituents/fellow Republicans if they admitted it. But I'd rather a closet atheist than an overt religious nutjob. Hopefully the closet atheists will take back their party and end this nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top