Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 03:03 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times

Advertisements

Astronaut Neil Armstrong dies at 82 | Fox News

I think we should take a moment to recognize the achievements of the 60's moon race, and take pause at where we are today.

Is America really so incapable of that kind of greatness again? Money or not, can we not do what we set our minds to anymore?

Neil Armstrong was a great man, and showed us what Americans can do. Lets reach for greatness again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 03:08 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,735,379 times
RIP, Neil, and thank you.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:11 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
I love the end of a statement made by his family:

For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

Few have shown his combination of service, accomplishment, and modesty.

Last edited by burdell; 08-25-2012 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-25-2012, 03:27 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,686,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Astronaut Neil Armstrong dies at 82 | Fox News

I think we should take a moment to recognize the achievements of the 60's moon race, and take pause at where we are today.

Is America really so incapable of that kind of greatness again? Money or not, can we not do what we set our minds to anymore?

Neil Armstrong was a great man, and showed us what Americans can do. Lets reach for greatness again.
Indeed! Thank you for such fine tribute to this great man.

I'm old enough to have seen that step televised. Those were exciting days and courageous explorers willing to go where no one had gone before (to borrow the phrase).

Sadly, I think those days are over with the present administration in place.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Neil Armstrong was part of a unique group of men during one of the most trying times in our history. Apollo 11 came on the heels of assassinations and riots. Wars and unrest. But on that one night we as a country were united as we looked toward the Moon and knew that two of our best were walking on its surface. While one more circled above waiting for them.

He was intelligent, brave, skilled, humble and loved our country with his very soul. Ohio born and bred. The heartland's best.

Rest in peace Commander. Thank you for getting in that tin can called Eagle and trusting the men and women who built it for you. May your family know how thankful we are that they shared you with us.

Time to soar.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:29 PM

16,909 posts, read 10,580,649 times
This is sad news. What is even more sad is that NASA "lost" the original moon landing footage.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:38 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,778,510 times
Default The passing of History

As you know, Neil Armstrong died today at age 82.

The first man to walk on the moon, he was the center of a milestone we will not see again in our lifetimes... or, perhaps, anyone's lifetime in millennia.

Some compare him to the Wright Brothers, the first to achieve powered aerial flight. But he goes beyond that.

Some compare him to Christopher Columbus, the first (European) to set foot on a new continent at a time when it was thought there were no more new continents.

But Neil Armstrong is something unique in human history.

He is the first man to set foot OFF the planet that our species originated on.

Ten thousand years from now, if man survives that long, Neil Armstrong's name will resonate long after people have forgotten Yuri Gragarin, or Abraham Lincoln, or George Washington.

It is said that, if man survives to spread throughout the Universe and populate other worlds, then for all but a brief period of history, the noun "ship" will refer, not to oceangoing vessels, but to spaceships.

Ten (or a hundred) thousand years from now, when Man has spread throughout the galaxy, formed colonies on planets of distant stars, and Earth is merely a minor back planet on a distant galaxy...

...Neil Armstrong will be remembered as "The First".

He was the first member of that entire, vast expansion of billions and TRILLIONS of humans, occupying countless thousands of worlds - an expansion that dwarfs everything ever done by mankind.

I disagree with those who rank him with eorge Washington or Christopher Columbus. As I see it, Neil Armstrong, homo sapien, ranks with the first prehistoric finned creature ever to crawl out of the primordial water life developed in, and take the first steps on dry land.

The milestone he achieved is that significant. We will not see the like, in our lifetimes. Nor will our descendants, even out to a hundred generations hence.

Thank you, Neil, for being "The First".

And Godspeed, wherever you are now.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:15 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,785,831 times
My folks, my aunts and uncles, my (now deceased) grandparents all have a picture of the television showing the "giant leap". They all said that every eye in the world (except for the Soviet Bloc, maybe) that could get to a TV was watching Neil Armstrong's great feat.

There will be many toasts to Mr. Armstrong tonight!

Old 08-25-2012, 04:36 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
As you know, Neil Armstrong died today at age 82.

The first man to walk on the moon, he was the center of a milestone we will not see again in our lifetimes... or, perhaps, anyone's lifetime in millennia.

Some compare him to the Wright Brothers, the first to achieve powered aerial flight. But he goes beyond that.

Some compare him to Christopher Columbus, the first (European) to set foot on a new continent at a time when it was thought there were no more new continents.

But Neil Armstrong is something unique in human history.

He is the first man to set foot OFF the planet that our species originated on.

Ten thousand years from now, if man survives that long, Neil Armstrong's name will resonate long after people have forgotten Yuri Gragarin, or Abraham Lincoln, or George Washington.

It is said that, if man survives to spread throughout the Universe and populate other worlds, then for all but a brief period of history, the noun "ship" will refer, not to oceangoing vessels, but to spaceships.

Ten (or a hundred) thousand years from now, when Man has spread throughout the galaxy, formed colonies on planets of distant stars, and Earth is merely a minor back planet on a distant galaxy...

...Neil Armstrong will be remembered as "The First".

He was the first member of that entire, vast expansion of billions and TRILLIONS of humans, occupying countless thousands of worlds - an expansion that dwarfs everything ever done by mankind.

I disagree with those who rank him with eorge Washington or Christopher Columbus. As I see it, Neil Armstrong, homo sapien, ranks with the first prehistoric finned creature ever to crawl out of the primordial water life developed in, and take the first steps on dry land.

The milestone he achieved is that significant. We will not see the like, in our lifetimes. Nor will our descendants, even out to a hundred generations hence.

Thank you, Neil, for being "The First".

And Godspeed, wherever you are now.
Now we have to deal with the leaners who do think that what he did was done in New Mexico. There are many of them, you know. I had a heart ablation from a renowned surgeon who talked about that part of that story all through the operation. Many others have said that same thing to me.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:40 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,735,379 times
This is a duplicate thread. Original here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...mall-step.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies