Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 04:46 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Such was the lesson learned by an elderly member of the Santuario de Misericodia church in Borja, in northeastern Spain.
Elderly Woman Ruins 19th Century Fresco in Restoration Attempt | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!

Those evil atheists. They had an elderly woman become a member of a church in hopes that she would gain access to a fresco to destroy it.
Darn they are sneaky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 04:52 PM

Oh yeah the "restoration" has taken place over 2 years. That is some long term planning for those sneaky atheists.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:02 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,348,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

Oh yeah the "restoration" has taken place over 2 years.

And no other "members" of the church noticed the fresco had changed from holy to hideous ?

Something is definitely not right about this story.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
And no other "members" of the church noticed the fresco had changed from holy to hideous ?

Something is definitely not right about this story.

Yeah. An old church member did something stupid, and you are trying to blame the boogyman.
The woman went to authorities herself. No one blamed her, no one pointed fingers.
Quote:
The three photographs show the changing face of the artwork over the last two years.
In the first photograph, taken in 2010, slight speckling is apparent. In the second photograph, taken just last month, large patches of white dominate the picture. One theory is that the elderly woman had already begun her work on the painting at this point, and the white marks are the result of her scraping away the paint.
The third photograph shows the image transformed beyond recognition, with a childlike reworking of Jesus’ face, broad brush strokes removing any subtlety from the clothing and thick layers of red and brown paint covering several key details, including the crown of thorns.
Elderly woman destroys 19th-century Spanish fresco by Elias Garcia Martinez in botched restoration - News - Art - The Independent

There are 3 dated photos. I don't know why no one else noticed, maybe the fresco is in an out of the way place.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:04 PM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
I think it was a deliberate attempt to ruin it to gain some recognition. I'd be more angry at the people in charge who let her do it. Hire a professional next time, you morons.
Then again, many " artists" are not very talented. But this was not just art, this was a professional restoration.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:32 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
It doesn't look very good........sure she had the best of intentions, probably time to hang up the painting brush as a professional.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:54 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
I can't wait to show my friend these photos, I want to see the look on her face. My friend is an accomplished fine artist. I know I got serious giggles when I saw the current state of the fresco. Imagining a little old lady toiling away with a determined look on her face sent me into a new wave of laughter!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:09 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,931 times
Quote:

And the fact that a donation to restore the fresco had just been received from the
original artist's family makes the timing very suspicious to me.

If atheists/antichrists wanted to use the 'neglected fresco' excuse, they would have to
do it before an official restoration. And their likely choice would be an elderly saboteur
because as everyone knows, elderly people are all sweet, innocent and a little bit crazy, right ?

You think an 80+ year old parishioner is a secret anarchist/atheist who's been attending the church all these years and biding her time until she had a chance to deface the painting?

I'd say that was the craziest thing I'd ever heard, but the birthers trump this-- barely.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:14 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,931 times
Quote:
Yeah, I understand that is the news story.

But look at the before and after frescoes at the link.

No untrained person in his right mind who loved the masterpiece would attempt to paint over it.

And obviously she was painting over it very badly for several sessions.

Either she is completely loopy or she had an ulterior motive.

Do you have a grandmother? My parents are in their 80s, and we're fortunate that they're both still just as sharp as tacks. Unfortunately, some of their friends are not. Some are easily confused, some don't have a good handle on their capabilities at this point. The situation sounds like they had a very sweet, slightly befuddled older woman who loved the fresco and with the best of intentions thought she could fix it, despite the fact that it's pretty obvious that she couldn't.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:42 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,348,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post

You think an 80+ year old parishioner is a secret anarchist/atheist who's been attending the church all these years and biding her time until she had a chance to deface the painting?

The articles I read didn't say how long she had been attending that church.

You'd be surprised how many atheists and other blasphemers attend church.

I once knew a Methodist minister who no longer believed the Bible, but it was
the only job he knew, so he remained a minister.

Atheists/antichrists/anarchist get old too... or maybe she recently "converted"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies