Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 02:51 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That a la carte and second lunch isn't available to kids on free lunch. I'm not in the schools where the kids/parents "take advantage". The schools I teach in are about 80% or more on free/reduced lunch.
Thank you for the information about the availability of a la carte and second servings for children who receive free/reduced lunch. I was unaware of that issue.

As for "take advantage," I meant simply avail themselves of or benefit from the program.

Last edited by randomparent; 08-27-2012 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 03:14 PM

1,403 posts, read 937,346 times
My daughter takes a lunch except on days she wants to eat what they are making at school,she eats breakfast at school though. My son eats both breakfast and lunch and school we get both their menus so I know what's going on their menu's seem pretty healthy and should be more than enough for kids their age...if things get worse as they get higher in school I will make sure they eat breakfast at home and they take lunches to school.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:22 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
It's the third day of school, and this is what I've observed at the cafeteria where I work: there has been enough fruit thrown in the trash to feed a third world country. Not just the canned pineapple. pears, and applesauce (those went down the garbage disposal). I watched the kids emptying their uneaten food into the trash - dozens of untouched red delicious apples, oranges, and bananas. The cafeteria custodian was wondering why there was more trash this year, and why it was so heavy. Fruit was offered last year, but it was optional. We MAKE the kids take it this year, but they are not eating it. Ditto the brocolli and salad. We scraped a lot of that down the garbage disposal. I'm seeing fewer kids eat the main line lunch, and more going for the a la carte stuff (which is not offered free or low cost).

It is such a waste.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
It's the third day of school, and this is what I've observed at the cafeteria where I work: there has been enough fruit thrown in the trash to feed a third world country. Not just the canned pineapple. pears, and applesauce (those went down the garbage disposal). I watched the kids emptying their uneaten food into the trash - dozens of untouched red delicious apples, oranges, and bananas. The cafeteria custodian was wondering why there was more trash this year, and why it was so heavy. Fruit was offered last year, but it was optional. We MAKE the kids take it this year, but they are not going to eat it.

It is such a waste.
If you're rural then ask around if any of the teachers have horses to take the apples.

Same happened in our school and the custodian stood by the trash and took up the uneaten apples for the teachers who had horses. At least the food didn't get thrown out.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
It's the third day of school, and this is what I've observed at the cafeteria where I work: there has been enough fruit thrown in the trash to feed a third world country. Not just the canned pineapple. pears, and applesauce (those went down the garbage disposal). I watched the kids emptying their uneaten food into the trash - dozens of untouched red delicious apples, oranges, and bananas. The cafeteria custodian was wondering why there was more trash this year, and why it was so heavy. Fruit was offered last year, but it was optional. We MAKE the kids take it this year, but they are not going to eat it.

It is such a waste.
I saw that myself 15 years ago when I worked at the elementary school. A couple times I grab unopened milk or fruit leathers off the trays before they went into the trash and took it home. I don't know rules but nobody said I couldn't so I did. It happened with entree foods as well but that stuff wasn't sealed so into the garbage it went. That's when I decided schools shouldn't be in the food business.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:33 PM

629 posts, read 946,173 times
My son has multiple food allergies. He cannot eat what the school provides and get a balanced diet. He usually finishes his home-packed lunch.

My daughter sometimes buys school lunch. She also gets about 20 minutes to eat and talks for probably 19 of them. S he is always complaining that when she buys she doesn't have time to finish her lunch and has to throw out the food she doesn't get to (which is probably the food she likes least. She really likes fruit though so I suppose it isn't that). About 75% of the kids at her school get free/reduced price school lunch and some of them are identified for a program where they get a backpack of food to take home for the weekend because otherwise they wouldn't eat all weekend. Our county is "affluent" but this school serves some neighborhoods that are definitely not.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:35 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I saw that myself 15 years ago when I worked at the elementary school. A couple times I grab unopened milk or fruit leathers off the trays before they went into the trash and took it home. I don't know rules but nobody said I couldn't so I did. It happened with entree foods as well but that stuff wasn't sealed so into the garbage it went. That's when I decided schools shouldn't be in the food business.

Some of our cafeteria staff, and some other folks I know, have farms with horses, cows, and pigs to feed. Those apples would be perfect for those animals. There were so many! I asked if we couldn't have a separate can for "unwanted fruit". Waiting for an answer. But it's like, we did what they told us to do...I'm not going to pursue it, but the waste just makes me ill.

I can get why kids won't eat an apple. Too much chewing. An orange? Gotta unpeel it. I can't understand all the bananas in the trash. I thought kids liked bananas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies