Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:30 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
How about not expecting the government to feed your child and pack their lunch?!
How about you reading some links so you know what is going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
BINGO!!!!

If you care about what your child eats, you will pack a lunch.
It takes me about 5 minutes to pack my sons lunch every evening. I know he is eating healthy, and if he needs more food I can easily adjust what I pack. He even has a snack to eat after school on the days he goes straight to karate.
And you don't know the rules about brown bagging this year, do you? I would suggest that you read that link and find out what is going on, but then just a little left lean keeps you from doing that, doesn't it?

Old 08-23-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
My mother always packed a lunch for me and my brother. I hardly ever ate the hot lunch offered by the school. I don't know about the Mom's complaint when I look at the USDA menu provided in a link in the article.... for example:

Monday (before)
Bean and cheese burrito (5.3 oz) with mozzarella cheese (1 oz)
Applesauce (1/4 cup)
Orange Juice (4 oz)
2% Milk (8 oz)

Monday (after)
Submarine sandwich - turkey (1 oz), low-fat cheese (o.5 oz) on whole wheat roll
Refried beans (1/2 cup)
Jicama (1/4 cup)
Green pepper strips (1/4 cup)
Cantaloupe wedges, raw (1/2 cup)
Skim milk (8 oz)
Mustard (9 g)
Reduced fat mayonnaise (1 oz)
Low-fat ranch dip (1 oz)

There's more to the new menu than the old menu; so, the woman's daughter probably got just as hungry on the old menu as she does on the new menu. Which is why I don't understand her argument.

Nevertheless, a simple solution is to send her daughter to school with something to snack on.
I have heard that snacking is frowned on at most schools but I am sure that Michelle would consider that trying to pump fat into your kid.

I will say that I didn't understand the part you read. There is so much more you could see from that woman.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:35 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
And you don't know the rules about brown bagging this year, do you? I would suggest that you read that link and find out what is going on, but then just a little left lean keeps you from doing that, doesn't it?
I don't need to read anything. I have been to my sons school. I know that I'm allowed to pack his lunch. I know his teachers, the principal, and the school board president.

So obviously these rules do not apply in every school.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The WHO wants to arbitrarily lower the dividing line between "Normal" and "Overweight" from 25 down to 23. Naturally, this will suddenly make millions of "Normal" children and adults now suddenly "Overweight." Which will mean schools will have to increase their dietary programs, get more federal funding, and we taxpayers end up footing the bill, as usual. These are political decisions, and it has absolutely nothing to do with health.

In order for me to have a BMI of 23, at 6'-7", I would have to weigh 204 pounds. That is gaunt, and certainly unhealthy.
Did you see what the 15 year old boy said to his mother about all that protein in the form of fat he would get being two good bites for him. He is 6'5 and 205. I bet he is still growing and pretty well fits what you say about yourself. Michelle just would call him obese and go on.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:40 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Looking at the menu, did you ever think that maybe the daughter just didn't eat the parts of the lunch that she didn't like?

You would be amazed at the amount of food that is thrown away in a school lunch room.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
Yes, pack their own lunches.
I would never let my kids eat that crap in school they call lunch.

Full of fat, sugar, food coloring etc.

It's kind of sad when they say their food is healthy and you see the kids eat a low-fat cheese burrito or a PB&J sandwhich.
I would suggest that you read the link I provided and maybe some of the others in the next post by me.

My wife, who taught in our high school for 39 years was talking with a substitute teacher yesterday and learned that those USDA meals are what the school must provide, no more at all, or they will lose their state money that, of course, comes largely from the US.

If you look at why they are forced to serve this year you may find something different than what you say you experienced. I used to put my arm around the school cooks and say in a loud voice, School Food is good food just as their aprons had sewed on them. I loved most of their meals like beef and noodles ladled on mashed potatoes (not the dry type back then) home made rolls, some vegetable and a salad. Whoopee did I enjoy those days when I was a teacher and didn't have time to go out and didn't want to eat those sandwiches I would have prepared.

Now I do remember the "hot lunch meals" we got in the early 40s at school and don't think they were very outstanding. Peanut butter sandwiches, some peas and maybe some fruit.

I suggest you look at what the USDA says the schools have to feed their kids to keep the dollars rolling in.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:45 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
It would seem to me that the lunch program should be a localized issue, and not determined from the Feds. It may already be...i don't really know how it works although i understand some of what Roy is talking about.

And FYI...i've got nothing against free lunch for kids.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,632 posts, read 16,115,213 times
my older brother packed our lunches sometimes.. problem was he took all the peppercorn outta the bologna and put it on my samitch... I traded for somethin at skool.... Hey whats with this obesity and needy anyways$ I think tis a farce

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-24-2012 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: language

Old 08-23-2012, 09:47 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Guidelines never bothered me, I choose to ignore things and do what I want for the most part. My kids ate what they wanted and if they didn't like school food they took home food. It's been that way forever. If it were up to me there would be no school food program and if there had to be it would be limited to a handful of things.

We complain when schools and/or "the government" get too involved with things and we complain when they don't get involved enough. School is for learning, feed your own children, everything else is a safety net.

Last edited by Ceece; 08-23-2012 at 10:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies