U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:53 PM

44,884 posts, read 28,860,555 times

Advertisements

Some of you have your children in school already and are starting to see what that one size fits all really is all about. Some of you haven't had to send your kids to school yet and won't for up to two weeks. Merry Christmas to all of you. I think this mom sees some real problems with the USDA program for school lunches this year. For instance, condiments twice a week, that means Ranch dressing twice so I hope your kids aren't wanting it for fresh veggies. One of the best things I have read since I started reading this mom's quandary about how much her high school daughter gets for lunch and who goes to softball practice immediately after school just isn't getting enough food in her lunches. She gets about the same amount of everything as her brother, a 5th grader gets.

You can read a number of mothers' words about this subject listed at the end of the link. They are all unhappy, but it seems that they are all rural people who require their kids work after school and all those athletic practices. Rest assured that those who think they can send sack lunches with their kids they may learn something. Remember last spring when the little girl had her lunch taken away and thrown away. I don't think the lunch room helpers were nasty, just enforcing the rules sent down by USDA.

Hey, most of these mothers find out very fast that if the school allows kids to eat meals from home in addition to the school 'snacks' the US government will shut down the money to the state to use for lunch money. They have got us by the ying-yang and they know it. I am in favor of doing something about all this and that would be talking with our Congresspersons and demanding some changes. When a 6'5, 205 15 year old boy is restricted to what the USDA will allow for him and all other kids between 12 and 18 he is in trouble. Hell he will probably be asleep before school is over.

Does Your Child Fit the ‘One Size Fits All’ Lunch Program? | chrischinn

Try this link from a former science teacher and present day mother about the problem. http://www.morningjoyfarm.blogspot.c...h-soapbox.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 09:58 PM
NCN

21,132 posts, read 22,300,600 times
My granddaughter has Crohn's disease and if she is required to eat the USDA guidelines, she would end up in the hospital. Luckily she has a very understanding teacher for her kindergarten class.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:01 PM

18,847 posts, read 32,456,110 times
How about not expecting the government to feed your child and pack their lunch?!

Old 08-23-2012, 10:03 PM

17,824 posts, read 20,590,168 times
If I had to eat school lunches when I went through school, I would have starved to death. At 16 years of age I was 6'-6" tall, and despite eating everything in sight, I weighed a mere 175 pounds. I also had football and basketball practice after school, so I needed as many calories as I could consume.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:04 PM

School lunches are not the key to fighting obesity. With the portions the USDA are forcing on schools I think I can see what will happen after school. As one mother says in talking about the subject: she feels very sorry for teachers who have to deal with lethargic kids who are hungry and can't wait to get home to raid the food larders to get whatever they can. She is pretty sure it won't be kale, carrots or other nutritious foods but maybe M & Ms. Those things have lots of color in them too.

Pinke Post: 3 School Lunch Solutions with Linky

Old 08-23-2012, 10:05 PM

20,966 posts, read 10,885,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
How about not expecting the government to feed your child and pack their lunch?!
BINGO!!!!

If you care about what your child eats, you will pack a lunch.
It takes me about 5 minutes to pack my sons lunch every evening. I know he is eating healthy, and if he needs more food I can easily adjust what I pack. He even has a snack to eat after school on the days he goes straight to karate.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 PM

3,843 posts, read 3,174,035 times
My mother always packed a lunch for me and my brother. I hardly ever ate the hot lunch offered by the school. I don't know about the Mom's complaint when I look at the USDA menu provided in a link in the article.... for example:

Monday (before)
Bean and cheese burrito (5.3 oz) with mozzarella cheese (1 oz)
Applesauce (1/4 cup)
Orange Juice (4 oz)
2% Milk (8 oz)

Monday (after)
Submarine sandwich - turkey (1 oz), low-fat cheese (o.5 oz) on whole wheat roll
Refried beans (1/2 cup)
Jicama (1/4 cup)
Green pepper strips (1/4 cup)
Cantaloupe wedges, raw (1/2 cup)
Skim milk (8 oz)
Mustard (9 g)
Reduced fat mayonnaise (1 oz)
Low-fat ranch dip (1 oz)

There's more to the new menu than the old menu; so, the woman's daughter probably got just as hungry on the old menu as she does on the new menu. Which is why I don't understand her argument.

Nevertheless, a simple solution is to send her daughter to school with something to snack on.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:23 PM

17,824 posts, read 20,590,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
School lunches are not the key to fighting obesity. With the portions the USDA are forcing on schools I think I can see what will happen after school. As one mother says in talking about the subject: she feels very sorry for teachers who have to deal with lethargic kids who are hungry and can't wait to get home to raid the food larders to get whatever they can. She is pretty sure it won't be kale, carrots or other nutritious foods but maybe M & Ms. Those things have lots of color in them too.

Pinke Post: 3 School Lunch Solutions with Linky
The WHO wants to arbitrarily lower the dividing line between "Normal" and "Overweight" from 25 down to 23. Naturally, this will suddenly make millions of "Normal" children and adults now suddenly "Overweight." Which will mean schools will have to increase their dietary programs, get more federal funding, and we taxpayers end up footing the bill, as usual. These are political decisions, and it has absolutely nothing to do with health.

In order for me to have a BMI of 23, at 6'-7", I would have to weigh 204 pounds. That is gaunt, and certainly unhealthy.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:26 PM

1,307 posts, read 1,711,765 times
Yes, pack their own lunches.
I would never let my kids eat that crap in school they call lunch.

Full of fat, sugar, food coloring etc.

It's kind of sad when they say their food is healthy and you see the kids eat a low-fat cheese burrito or a PB&J sandwhich.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
My granddaughter has Crohn's disease and if she is required to eat the USDA guidelines, she would end up in the hospital. Luckily she has a very understanding teacher for her kindergarten class.
I feel for the child but don't think that the people running the USDA give a damn about one kid and her school may lose their federal money. I sure hope that doesn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies