Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 11:26 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The point is that items included in IB information are interpreted differently depending on one's perspective. I'll take one specific item as it has been brought up repeatedly in this thread; Global Citizen. Those opposed to IB take it more literally than I think it is intended, and seem to infer it is part of a New World Order campaign, that it is anti-American, and promoting some literal universal sovereignty. For me it means that social responsibility doesn't end at the boundary of one's property, or the borders of one's country, but that knowledge of the world around us and concern for what goes on in the rest of the world is important. Pride in, and loyalty to one's own country is separate, and I don't see that being impinged upon by being educated in, and aware of, issues around the globe.

That is not the only issue, but one example.
Pretty much. LOL

Also there seems to be anxiety about the term "Hidden Curriculum" which is actually an academic term coined by this dude in that book and expanded on by this dude in this book. What it means is "unwritten school rules that actually teach students things we may not be fully aware we are teaching them". For instance the 2nd dude specifically wrote about how schools may have stressed obedience and "good" grades over creativity, and discouraged students from being skeptical or asking a lot of questions to teachers, leading to college students who don't/won't think out of the box down the line.

It looks like IB people want to be sure it's "Hidden Curriculum" stresses the values of tolerance, critical thinking and respect for others' views (which is NOT the same as teaching "everyone is right" BTW). Not a blatant plan to brainwash IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
To believe that, your claim would have to be that students wouldn't have learned that from their normal social interactions via the gentle guidance of their families and communities. Are we to believe that the parents/families of IB Diploma students are incapable of fostering knowledge of the world around us and concern for what goes on in the rest of the world on their own? That a specific school program is required because IB students' families are deficient in that regard? Really? ...Interesting theory.
That makes no sense. So do we only teach in schools things children are incapable of learning otherwise? Anyone can pick up a book and read history, but we still have history class. You can learn things in multiple ways from multiple sources.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:29 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIobserver View Post
There are too many young people sitting in elementary ed all the way to high school pondering what they are going to have for dinner at night. Pondering if their parents can stretch the buck to the end of the week. There are young people so distracted with their day to day lives worrying about real issues germaine to their very existance and it's these young
people who will never give one ounce of thought to the world outside their world. They don't have that luxury, that is their reality.

So to purchase this expensive programme to teach them how to be global thinkers when they can't see past their own state or condition, it's a total waste. That is why if parents wish to make their Johnny or Susie global citizens then they should pay for it out of their pockets and go seek private school education so they can push for it and pay for it.

The reality is that here in the United States tax payers should not have to decide upon whether or not they can pay their bills or feed their kids because the taxes just went up in their district and IB is one of those products that just inflated their yearly tax warrant.
No, not being able to see beyond their own condition is the waste.

You want to take this out of the reach of socioeconomically disadvantaged kids and make it exclusively for those who's parents are wealthy? That's pretty elitist.

Many kids in my city have never been out of a mile radius of their own block. I can't see how this wouldn't benefit them.

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
How else can you interpret the prioritization of a social conditioning agenda? It's the stated goal in the very first sentence of their mission statement.
This is their current mission statement, please highlight the portion that contains "social conditioning agenda" because I'm just not seeing it:

Quote:
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.

To this end the organization works with schools, governments and international organizations to develop challenging programmes of international education and rigorous assessment.

These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.

75 posts, read 52,105 times
Default Get rid of IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh, I'm just here to learn.

And, call shenanigans when I see them. This stuff is too important to go unchallenged, as I'm sure you'll agree.

What "shenanigans" can you call out? Those that do not line up with your own political views?
I already got your numba, it's off the charts liberal. People like you cannot fly under my radar, worse, you want to challenge people that you perceive as pulling shenanigans when you can't add anything to the discussion since you admitted that you only have a kindergartener. Why did you come in here to begin with? Start trouble, stir the pot? Seems to me that you have a lot of opinions based on the things I have read which you have written.

You're an old pro really, senior member. Speaks volumes!

Old 08-28-2012, 11:30 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Darkatt,

My apologies, I didn't mean to ignore your question, I simply overlooked it:

I am 56 years old, of course I did not attend IB. However, I have been forced to pay ridiculously high ever-increasing school taxes in my district for a program that no one bothered to do any real research on. So, for the past 8 years, I have researched the IB organization, its regulations, its affiliations and its products. I have uncovered lie after lie told by this organization and its proponents. I have been blackmailed and had death threats made against me for attempting to share my research. As a parent, immersing children, anyone's children, in a system controlled by an organization that is devoid of credibility and sold on hearsay, is to put the minds of children, our most valuable assets, into the hands of pure evil.

I believe I said before that I don't have to drive a Chevy Volt or buy a Chevy Volt, to make an informed decision that I neither like the Chevy Volt, nor do I think it is a good investment when it comes to purchasing an automobile. The same goes for IB. I don't have to drink the Kool-Aid firsthand, I just look at the lifeless bodies and minds IB has produced. Perhaps you are an exception. Perhaps you had some great teachers who didn't buy into the whole "global citizen" mantra. You were lucky. The fact remains that they would have been good or even better teachers, without IB.
I am also in my mid 50's, however I had a child who attended IB for a period of time. Their actual participation in the program contradicts many things that were said.

I do not feel that just because you disagree with the program, that you should be the subject of threats or blackmail. That's not what I spent 10 year of my life protecting this country for. Your opinion is as valuable as the next person's, whether I agree with it or not.

Lastly, if someone ELSE buys a Chevy Volt, and they are pleased with it, and for THEM it is a good investment, doesn't mean that for you it's the same. Each person has different values, and different opinions. What is NOT a good fit for you doesn't change that for someone else, it is.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:31 AM

88,969 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
It looks like IB people want to be sure it's "Hidden Curriculum" stresses the values of tolerance, critical thinking and respect for others' views
Why does the IBO assume some students are not already tolerant, possess critical thinking skills, and respect others' views?

They may be right about that, though. Look at all the intolerance on display exhibited by IB proponents in this thread. Looks like the IBO isn't really all that successful in teaching tolerance and respect.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:35 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:

What "shenanigans" can you call out? Those that do not line up with your own political views?
I already got your numba, it's off the charts liberal. People like you cannot fly under my radar, worse, you want to challenge people that you perceive as pulling shenanigans when you can't add anything to the discussion since you admitted that you only have a kindergartener. Why did you come in here to begin with? Start trouble, stir the pot? Seems to me that you have a lot of opinions based on the things I have read which you have written.

Oh jeez, and I know nothing about you. I feel terrible. Anything else you'd like to know? I'm here to help.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:35 AM

88,969 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This is their current mission statement, please highlight the portion that contains "social conditioning agenda" because I'm just not seeing it
Here:
Quote:
develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.
Notice how there's NOTHING about providing a world class education or providing academic rigor? It's all about "creating a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect."

Old 08-28-2012, 11:38 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Look at all the intolerance on display in this thread.
I know, right. Exhibit A:

Quote:

Old 08-28-2012, 11:38 AM

75 posts, read 52,105 times
Default Get rid of IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Pretty much. LOL

Also there seems to be anxiety about the term "Hidden Curriculum" which is actually an academic term coined by this dude in that book and expanded on by this dude in this book. What it means is "unwritten school rules that actually teach students things we may not be fully aware we are teaching them". For instance the 2nd dude specifically wrote about how schools may have stressed obedience and "good" grades over creativity, and discouraged students from being skeptical or asking a lot of questions to teachers, leading to college students who don't/won't think out of the box down the line.

It looks like IB people want to be sure it's "Hidden Curriculum" stresses the values of tolerance, critical thinking and respect for others' views (which is NOT the same as teaching "everyone is right" BTW). Not a blatant plan to brainwash IMO.

That makes no sense. So do we only teach in schools things children are incapable of learning otherwise? Anyone can pick up a book and read history, but we still have history class. You can learn things in multiple ways from multiple sources.
Why does IB think it's their responsibility to TO STRESS THE VALUES OF TOLERANCE, CRITICAL THINKING AND RESPECT FOR OTHER VIEWS...We've been doing that in the USA for as long as I have been alive. Why can't children just go to school and learn the basics anymore? Why must some programme come into a tax payer based public school system and be the voice of morality?

I like the pay to play plan best. I wish public schools taught the basics and if you want your kid to get more, go to the library, sign up for sports outside of school, pay for it, pay for art classes and pay for music lessons and pay for any other type of enrichment program you want your child to join. Boy Scouts, girl scout, the 4-H, the hunting club, skiing club, soccer club, and the global thinking club.

Got it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies