Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:10 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
The Camp is Organized Atheism.
All summer camps are organized, so are bowling teams and swim meets...What is your point?

Old 08-23-2012, 11:11 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So you are an atheist too regarding all of the thousands of gods you DON'T believe in...Why and how did you choose the one you do believe in and why do you think you have made the right choice?
You believe that atheism allows you to believe in some gods and choose to not believe in the others?

Old 08-23-2012, 11:13 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
I haven't seen this in a while. "I'm right because I'm right."
It's cool that you interpreted it that way.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:13 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
A Christian Pagan is a religious person.

they may believe in a mixture of Jesus Christ, Earth Goddess, Magic etc..

so what point were you making?
They're a religious (christian) pagan.

All I can say is that you seemed to be scoffing at the idea of an atheist pagan. All the pagan, none of the 'god'.

It's just a different mix of ideas.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:15 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Atheism is the opposite of a belief...
No. Agnosticism is the word you may be looking for.

Atheists believe that there is no higher power - and that's very much a belief.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 08-23-2012 at 11:23 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 11:15 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
It's cool that you interpreted it that way.
It's sad that you believe that and posted what you did.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
yes, that is a form of indoctrination and we can see the bias in full.

Kids are told that religion is bunk before they even pick up the Bible - ie: they have already been told what to think!
Not at all...Quote me where it says that from your link... You can't because it says no such thing...What it says is this..."We wanted to raise our kids to make their own decisions," Karen Garry said. "If our children decided they wanted to be Jewish, fine, not a problem. We would love them just as much as if they were atheist or whatever, Buddhist. We just wanted them to be good, happy people." .... and this....Several campers described Camp Quest as a support group of sorts and that this was a place where they are free to be themselves

Old 08-23-2012, 11:16 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Paganism is a religion for sure.

they may not believe in a specific deity, it could just be a general essence or force of some kind - I believe the word is Pantheism.

and how about Hinduism and atman - that's is also a similar concept.
Paganism is certainly a religion, it just is not your religion. Pagans are heretics after all.

Hinduism is the oldest "living" religion on the planet, but it has changed significantly over the 7,500 years it has been around. In the original Hindu "self" or "atman" was about achieving enlightenment, the various deities came later. Buddhism and Jainism have the same concept of "self" (or "soul" in Jainism), because they splintered off from Hinduism.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Nobody can prove God exists.

Nobody can prove God does not exist.
Nobody can prove leprechauns exist.

Nobody can prove leprechauns do not exist...So do you think we should all worship leprechauns?

Old 08-23-2012, 11:20 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
You believe that atheism allows you to believe in some gods and choose to not believe in the others?
If you are a christian, you have rejected a belief in all other gods.

An atheist rejects those...plus yours.

When I was growing up, I wanted nothing more than to be like my parents, grandparents, and extended family, to share in their belief. To feel the same way when we all went to church. It didn't happen for me, and I felt guilty and ashamed for a very long time. I kept it secret until sometime in high school, and even then I felt like something was 'wrong' with me.

I had all these questions that no one could answer. Christianity raised more questions than it could ever answer for me.

As I studied more religions, trying desperately to 'belong' somewhere, I found that none of them passed the litmus test my brain set forth.

I think the camp in the OP fills the need that some atheist children have to belong to a group that accepts and reflects their own way of thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies