Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times

Advertisements

Let us all read the excutive order together, then meet again for discussion:

Executive Order -- National Defense Resources Preparedness | The White House

Oh, and here is what Snopes has to say:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/ndrp.asp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 06:58 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
I dont think it is right, or Constitutional, to use an emergency to gain this type of power. And it sounds like they can avoid Congress and just do it.

This was something signed this year. I think we deserve an explanation on this, and the fact that I dont recall hearing anyone from DC talking about this, I find troubling.

I cant fathom, how we as a people, should view this as a good thing.
Yes, we talked Bush's continuity plans too, and people said they were "shocked" and "chilled" etc, but we discovered that every admin have had such plan. Believe it or not but there is a time and place for emergency plans in case of catastrophic events. Do you think life should go on as if nothing happened after every major city was hit by a nuke? Or if the nation was hit by chemical or biological weapons?

Old 08-24-2012, 07:03 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yea, let's vote in someone who doesn't have any plan for catastrophic event at all. People should be free
to wander about and play with corpses after a nuclear attack. Freeeeeedoooooommmm!!!!!
Paranoid are we? You know what Finn if a nuclear attack is going to happen, there is nothing we could do to stop it anyway! Furthermore, I wouldn't want to survive the aftermath anyway! But if we keep voting for the status quo, our foreign policy of meddling in the middle east will continue as is, and therefore it will potentially take us down that dangerous path!

Quote:
Catastrophic event, is supposed to lead to basically a police state? Do you forget what country this is? United States of America. How can you defend this? Where does it say that this is only for catastrophic events anyways

It doesn't.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:06 AM

Here is what they said about "W" plan. Sound similar ?

Quote:
President George W. Bush has sparked much alarm by openly declaring himself to be a dictator in the event of a national emergency under new provisions that will effectively nullify the U.S. constitution, but such an infrastructure has been in place for over 70 years and this merely represents a re-authorization of the infrastructure of martial law.

New legislation signed on May 9, 2007, declares that in the event of a "catastrophic event", the President can take total control over the government and the country, bypassing all other levels of government at the state, federal, local, territorial and tribal levels, and thus ensuring total unprecedented dictatorial power.

The National Security and Homeland Security Presidential Directive, which also places the Secretary of Homeland Security in charge of domestic "security", was signed earlier this month without the approval or oversight of Congress and seemingly supercedes the National Emergency Act which allows the president to declare a national emergency but also requires that Congress have the authority to "modify, rescind, or render dormant" such emergency authority if it believes the president has acted inappropriately.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Paranoid are we? You know what Finn if a nuclear attack is going to happen, there is nothing we could do to stop it anyway! Furthermore, I wouldn't want to survive the aftermath anyway! But if we keep voting for the status quo, our foreign policy of meddling in the middle east will continue as is, and therefore it will potentially take us down that dangerous path!
It doesn't.
I am not the one being paranoid. The plan is not designed to stop an attack, it is designed to deal with the immediate aftermath and chaos.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:26 AM

And they said this about the "W" continuity plan. Now the other side is trying go say the same about Obama plan. Some things never change......

Quote:
Hitler took power through completely legal means. Laws were previously established in plain view of the German people before he made his dictatorial power grab. We appear are witnessing the very same thing happening today some seventy years later. Apparently no one on Capitol Hill has learned a thing from history as it repeats itself. They also have clearly forgotten Bush's words in December 1999 - "This job would be a heck of a lot easier if this were a dictatorship...just so long as I'm the dictator." He meant what he said, he's acting exactly like one and it's happening right now.
America's case for a repeat of a Hitler type power grab is clearly underway. First there was the infamous 1200 page Patriot Act that appeared a few days after 9-11 but almost no one on Capitol Hill took time to read, but almost everyone signed off on it anyway. Some on Capitol Hill have said that soldiers with machine guns were in the hallways on Capitol Hill the night the Patriot Act was signed, and many felt intimidated they must sign it without reading it. If true, then it implies that martial law may have already been declared in secret. Soldiers in hallways have no place on Capitol Hill in civilian government. Again, another sign of a dictatorship IN ACTION.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:29 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,136,566 times
If this was indeed in place, okay. I still can't say I like it. I never was aware of it before. I don't like to see things like this. I am a limited gov kind of person

Old 08-24-2012, 07:45 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Jim Garrison: Martial Law by Executive Order

I heard about this last night. I guess this was one of those things that kind of just happened in the middle of the night. I dont recall being aware of this before, but perhaps I was and just forgot.

What the hell is this about? As far as I know, the writer of this, is a liberal. Not as if he is some far right guy. Why wasnt this made a big deal of? Does anyone recall ever hearing about this on the news?

This is pretty frightening stuff. This really gives the President and his secretaries, a vast amount of power, disregarding previous rules of law.

Why should we not be concerned with this? How is such a thing, Constitutional?
It gives the president complete and utter authority over everything, with no need to even consult with the congress. It's good to be king.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:52 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am not the one being paranoid. The plan is not designed to stop an attack, it is designed to deal with the immediate aftermath and chaos.
The states should have the authority to run their state, this assumes all power and gives it to the executive branch. What makes the bureaucrats in the executive branch an all powerful, all knowing entity?

Old 08-24-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The states should have the authority to run their state, this assumes all power and gives it to the executive branch. What makes the bureaucrats in the executive branch an all powerful, all knowing entity?
Insuring domestic tranquility is a federal responsibility. Lets hope such measures will never be needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies