Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:33 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,209,483 times

Advertisements

That mating dance isn't limited to colleges.

My youngest daughter is a high school junior and in JROTC. She's already been contacted by recruiters from all 5 branches of the military.

My nephew is a Marine recruiter, this is what he does.

I'm all in favor of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 08:36 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,656,739 times
They all have a choice as to whether or not they sign up. I can kind of buy the argument against having recruiters in high school... they're still impressionable, don't know what they wanna do with their lives, might see dollar signs when the recruiter starts talking about enlistment bonuses... but once you're in college they're mostly looking for people to go into officer training. You should be mature enough to make an informed decision at that point.

e: That said I don't see much recruitment on my campus. The two ROTC programs (Army and Air Force) have booths at the club fair in the Fall, and the USMC has a booth for NROTC. I think they come to the career fair as well. Apart from that it's just the occasional Marine in dress uniform handing out flyers about OCS.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,162,301 times
If they do I hope they find grads that have a better work ethic than those recruited by the company I work for.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:50 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,939,618 times
It appears Obama's economy is creating a much "smarter" military. Appears this is the only "job" some can find. Now the left can't criticize the military for being stupid backwards arsed hicks who had nothing else to do with their lives it appears.

I guess Hanoi John Kerry needs to talk to Obama...........

“You know, education, if you make the most of it, if you study hard and you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, uh, you, you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq.”

College grads now joining up increasing.............

"The weak economy is helping to drive thousands more college graduates into the U.S. military.
Since the recession began in 2007, there's been a steady increase in the number of college graduates joining the armed forces. The Navy and Army have seen the biggest jumps. About 60 percent more college grads joined the Navy last year than in 2007.
For some of them, it's a job some would never have imagined for themselves just a few years ago."

In Weak Economy, College Grads 'Surge' Into Military : NPR

Old 08-24-2012, 09:04 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,599,064 times
I joined the Navy to get the GI Bill for college. Winding up as a River Rat was a greatly appreciated bonus and an outstanding education on what humans can do under great stress.

I have no objection to the Military Recruiting on campuses. They have to get their staff from somwhere and college graduates are less inclined to become lifers. The recruits have to know this old saw.

How can you tell if a recruiter is lying? His lips are moving.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,687,402 times
of course the military should recruit on college campus, high school as well. joining the military is an option, like working for IBM, or other company. besides, where do you think officers come from for the most part?

Old 08-24-2012, 01:22 PM

58,623 posts, read 26,924,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Should the military recruit at college campuses?
So much for "Freedom of Speech"!

I'd bet he is for every wacko organization being allowed to be on the campus though.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:24 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,427,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Should the military recruit at college campuses?
Yes, that's where military officers come from.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:26 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,643,170 times
If students were interested they would not be in college.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:27 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,162,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I joined the Navy to get the GI Bill for college. Winding up as a River Rat was a greatly appreciated bonus and an outstanding education on what humans can do under great stress.

I have no objection to the Military Recruiting on campuses. They have to get their staff from somwhere and college graduates are less inclined to become lifers. The recruits have to know this old saw.

How can you tell if a recruiter is lying? His lips are moving.
LOL times have changed. Recruiters are allowed to omit things but not lie. They may even embellish. For example:
Recruit: I want to be a Navy SEAL can I do that?
Recruiter: SEALs are selected from amoung the active duty navy. You can apply and if your eval's are good enough be selected.
NOT a lie. Just not the entire truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies