Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 02:32 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Try sentencing all the killers you have in Chicago to 100 days and see what that does to your crime rate. Norway doesn't have low crime because of their prison sentences.
Or does it? The brutality of prison actually can turn non-violent or small-time criminals into murderers. Once you're in jail for 10 years among thugs and rapists, you're not gonna be the same on your way out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 02:37 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Just like this woman in Belgium, huh? BBC News - Belgium court backs Marc Dutroux ex-wife convent move

And look how happy the families are that she will be let out of jail.

Breivik will be out in 10 years.

Did I miss a major reorganization of Scandanavia and Europe while napping? What has Belgium got to do with Norway regarding this thread?

As stated by Scandanavians who are, I would hazard a guess, more conversant with their system in it's applications than we are, he will never see daylight again. How is this worse then the system in place in the U.S. which see's everything from wrongful convictions to the very same situation you're decrying on this thread happen frequently?

Is this simply another case of Americans belief that "America is the best at everything" with complete disregard for facts or logic to contrary?

Old 08-28-2012, 02:40 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's all for show. See, they are not so heartless as to put someone away in prison for life.

It would be interesting to see if the guy kills any of his fellow prisoners.
Or if his fellow prisoners kill him

Old 08-28-2012, 02:46 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
To me killing 77 people isn't any worse than killing just 1 person in a way.

There's no logical reason imo to punish more than necessary, it's inhumane. Andy will be in his mid-50s when he gets out, and everyone will be aware of who he is. I don't think he will be that dangerous to society at that point.
Some people might still remember him, and make rude comments, in which case he could emigrate to the United States.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:23 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Did I miss a major reorganization of Scandanavia and Europe while napping? What has Belgium got to do with Norway regarding this thread?
You don't want to see it but most people understand full well the two countries share the same soft, fuzzy-headed approach to crime. You don't like America's system, that's okay, we have always been and always will be a work in progress. You folks let your children be killed and only punish the killer with less than 100 days per child. We don't.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:19 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
You don't want to see it but most people understand full well the two countries share the same soft, fuzzy-headed approach to crime. You don't like America's system, that's okay, we have always been and always will be a work in progress. You folks let your children be killed and only punish the killer with less than 100 days per child. We don't.
Well firstly Dockside; I'm not from either Europe or any of the Scandanavian countries. Secondly your attributing a "soft, fuzzy-headed approach to crime" to either of those areas of the world would be sorta like the pot calling the kettle black or did you completely miss my reference to O.J. and Casey Anthony?

"Us folks LET our children get killed"??? I'll let that slide because I'm sure that, unless you are a complete *******, that can't be what you intend to imply.

Now let's both do a google search of how many children are killed in the USA and reference the sentences given those folks to ascertain if you are standing on the terra-firma you believe yourself to be; shall we? Just one example:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44199686...r-plea-change/

Meet me back here when you've spent the four or so hours wading through all of those and we'll resume this discussion.

You don't seem satisfied with assurances that the sentence awarded along with the explanation of how their system works OVER THERE to achieve basicly the same results of lifetime incarceration. You still maintain that saying something like "eternity rotting in hell" would be more to your liking. Calling it red instead of blue has nothing whatsoever to do with the end result does it?

Finally; stop with the superiority attitude. You got way more kids dying in your country in one year than those 70 killed by one person. Your system deals with those deaths to a varying degree of effectiveness at best, so your feigned moral outrage at a system you know nothing about, is disengenuous when yours is arguably much worse indeed.

Last edited by BruSan; 08-28-2012 at 07:33 PM..

Old 08-29-2012, 01:31 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,399 times
Quote:
Breivik will be out in 10 years.
Dockside, I think you need to take some time out and actually read the thread you're posting in. Get some of the basic facts down, because it seems you don't actually know what the rest of us are talking about.

Breivik isn't even having a parole hearing for 21 years. Thats the verdict we are discussing here. Take a deep breath and say it out loud: "Life with 21 years to his first parole hearing". That may make it easier to understand what we are discussing.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:54 PM

119 posts, read 150,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Norway, what a joke.
Good luck with Mitt Romney

Old 08-31-2012, 01:26 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,399 times
Does anyone remember Charles Manson?

His crimes caused quite a stir, as I recall. Charles Manson served 7 years before his first parole hearing, and hes had hearings every 2-3 years since. Putting it in the same terms as Breiviks sentence, Charles Manson is serving 7-to-life, whereas Breivik got 21-to-life. Of course, Manson gets parole hearings twice as often as Breivik will.

Just a bit of perspective: The uprorar is over a sentence more than 3 times as harsh as the one the US is giving Charles Manson.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:33 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
That's 21 more years than OJ got.

Throwback meme FTW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies