Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 04:41 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,849,164 times

Advertisements

“In their haste to be wiser and nobler than others, the anointed have misconceived two basic issues. They seem to assume (1) that they have more knowledge than the average member of the benighted and (2) that this is the relevant comparison. The real comparison, however, is not between the knowledge possessed by the average member of the educated elite versus the average member of the general public, but rather the total direct knowledge brought to bear though social processes (the competition of the marketplace, social sorting, etc.), involving millions of people, versus the secondhand knowledge of generalities possessed by a smaller elite group.” — P. 114

“The presumed irrationality of the public is a pattern running through many, if not most or all, of the great crusades of the anointed in the twentieth century–regardless of the subject matter of the crusade or the field in which it arises. Whether the issue has been ‘overpopulation,’ Keynesian economics, criminal justice, or natural resource exhaustion, a key assumption has been that the public is so irrational that the superior wisdom of the anointed must be imposed, in order to avert disaster. The anointed do not simply happen to have a disdain for the public. Such disdain is an integral part of their vision, for the central feature of that vision is preemption of the decisions of others.” — P. 123-124

Thomas Sowell "The Vision of the Anointed"

Old 08-24-2012, 04:41 PM

775 posts, read 738,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Let's see the "empirical" data.
Conservatives are less likely than liberals or moderates to profess solid confidence in Science (34% versus 48%).

Study tracks erosion of conservative confidence in science | Inside Higher Ed

The Pew Research Center records that 49% of liberals posses college degrees, compared to 28% of social conservatives.

Really, the responses on this thread already validate my point.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:43 PM

30,023 posts, read 18,596,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
The title is not a stereotype, and can be backed with empirical data; studies consistently demonstrate that conservatives are significantly less likely than liberals to profess a great deal of trust in science, to have high IQs and to be college educated. It is a generalization, but this board's fiscal and social conservatives who do not fall into this group should try to justify their movement's typical lack of respect for complex thought, rather than indignantly whine about being misrepresented.

Have you ever wondered why conservatives are significantly less likely to be college educated? Why conservative politicians openly ridicule intellectuals and college graduates as "snobs"? Why conservatives deny Evolutionary Theory, Global Warming, Big Bang Cosmology and basic scientific facts? Why Fox News regularly disrespects and mocks scientists it brings on its show? Why the scientific community and acadameia are overwhelmingly liberal?

I blame the general decline of America's education system on the anti-intellectualism stemming largely from the Right. If only they'd fund scientific ventures as much as they fund the military...
We are just two stoopid.

Any time a liberal post such nonsense, which is quite often, they are made to look ridiculous and the antithesis of the "intellectuals" that they purport to be. I can tell you that pulling a "D" lever in a voting booth does not make you a genius. To embrace this silly notion proves the converse- that democrats are dull witted and gullible.

1. I believe in the theory of evolution
2. I believe in "The Big Bang" theory, but embrace the theory of a "multiverse" which has shown to be mathematically correct through string theory. The "Big Bang", of course, is only applicable to OUR UNIVERSE and is a theory, and is unproven.
3. "Basic scientific facts"? That is a catch all phrase, and rings with all the intellectual weight and credibility of saying, "and such".

Tell me- what are these wonderful "facts" that you know that elude me? I am dying to know these wonderful mysteries that lie in the brains of liberals.

4. "Fox news"? Give me a break. Fox news is like a "boogyman" to liberals. Given that they abhor free speech, they simply cannot (and will not tolerate) another news station that offers a different view than MSNBC, NBC, CBS, ABC, and CNN. Liberals believe in suppression of free speech, therefore ONE DISSENTING VIEW cannot be tolerated.

5. Scientific community are liberals?
a. being in a university does not mean that you are a "scientist".
b. most university faculty positions are not in the field of hard science
c. there are more "scientists" outside of academia than within- industry has more
d. the assumption that "scientists" are mostly liberal is based on the political affiliation of university faculty members, not all "scientists".

6. "global warming" is a cult, not science. In fact, it is the antithesis of science.

Anytime you want to match degrees, IQ points, or academic awards, let me know. How many peer reviewed papers have you published in the scientific literature? How many national research awards have you won? Have you ever designed a true "bench science" experiment and carried it through to publication? How many articles have you edited for peer review? Do you even subscribe to any scientific journals today?

Thank you, "Dr. Science"

3,201 posts, read 3,850,725 times
Intellectuals belong to a fraternity of pretention.

13,691 posts, read 18,406,067 times
Quote:
Here's a hint: "common sense" does not have much relevance to Evolutionary Theory or Global Warming. But to conservatives, their exclusive access to this wisdom grants them authority over the entire scientific community.

49% of self identified liberals hold college degrees, compared to only 28% of social conservatives.

[Pew Research Center]
Liberals run the institutions. Those institutions create more liberals.

e.g. "liberal arts"

Conservatives grow tired of being preached to - they drop out.

What are "conservatives arts"? An oxymoron?

Want any more generalizations to match yours?

Old 08-24-2012, 04:44 PM

14,465 posts, read 11,245,012 times
Quote:
Conservatives are less likely than liberals or moderates to profess solid confidence in Science (34% versus 48%).

Study tracks erosion of conservative confidence in science | Inside Higher Ed

The Pew Research Center records that 49% of liberals posses college degrees, compared to 28% of social conservatives.

Really, the responses on this thread already validate my point.
That's not empirical data, Einstein. Try again.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:46 PM

37,953 posts, read 22,057,225 times
Quote:
You confirm my stereotype every time you fail to use periods.
Let me ask you a personal question, are you a college graduate, and do you consider yourself to be an intellectual?

Old 08-24-2012, 04:50 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,850,725 times
Intellectuals are intimidating because they can tell you what Jean Paul Sartre is all about in French.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:50 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,923,168 times
I'm curious... Is my degree less meaningful because I am a conservative? Am I less articulate or are my credentials less impressive because I am not a liberal? I want to know how do I get on that high horse you ride, so I too can chastise the general public. I should have taken self absorbtion as my core curriculum too I suppose...

Old 08-24-2012, 04:52 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,805,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Many intellectuals have no common sense. They wallow in theory on things they and have no real experience in themselves.
So very true. Karl Marx was an intellectual. Paul Krugman is an intellectual as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.